2 replies to this topic

#1 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 10:22 AM

Up until about two weeks ago I have never received any spam on my primary email address. Since then I'm getting maybe one or two emails a day that appear to be normal non-malicious advertising for various products. I've not been opening them and just immediately delete them. I know when some of these places get hacked and address lists get stolen, they just get sold to advertising firms. I know, maybe this is crazy to ask but what are the chances that these are legit advertising and clicking on the unsubscribe button is safe? Or am I just validating that this is an active email address and I'll get flooded with more?
  • Traill95 said thank you

#2 MiCarl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 682 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 11:22 AM

SPAM is  a fact of life.  I'm surprised you've been left alone until two weeks ago.  I bet your ISP is trapping most of the spam so you just never knew about it.  Yahoo handles my personal account and they trap almost 100% of the junk.

Interestingly, I used to have a separate account for all my on line purchases.  I got more SPAM in my personal account than I did in the account I shared with retailers.  I think I was getting more junk from friends' address books being hacked than from retailers selling my information.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 03:31 PM

Jim, you are correct if you click the unsubscribe link that tell them (legit or non-legit) that it is a live email  and will more then likely end up getting more spam.  Create a filter for those email address's, have it mark them as read and send them straight to trash.  Then when you empty your trash they will be gone and you won't ever be bothered by them.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you