5 replies to this topic

#1 hilova23 OFFLINE  

hilova23
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 82562
  • 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Hello, guys. Previously, I had Lawn-Boy Gas Lawn Mower. Looks good and is light but the lever that lowers and raises the front wheels is a joke. Small knobs are supposed to lock the flimsy lever and, at least with my mower, they didn't and the front wheels slipped into low every time. The manufacturer offered to repair the mower or send me the parts so I can repair it myself but I don't need that hassle with a new product. Returned this mower and bought another brand mower locally.

Now, after looking some lawn mower reviews, I'm thinking about buying a new one, more expensive, but hope, it would be better. Especially, I'm interested in Honda models. What is the difference between hrr2169vla andhrr216v9lla?

How well does it vacuum up clippings?

Any advice and suggestion will be pretty appreciated! thanks.

• hamman and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 09:53 AM

If you talking a push mower, which I think you are, get one with the large rear wheels.  They push and roll so much easier and do a lot less bouncing around.  I run a Lawn Boy for several years when I lived in town. 

• Alc, hamman, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 11:49 AM

If the Honda mower is as good as their garden cultivator..... you couldn't go wrong getting one. My push mower has front wheel assist and I really like this feature, along with the already mentioned larger rear wheels.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Any brand is about same engines and items, just pay more for better wheels and hardware and ease of use. I have never like self-propelled, just more gizmo to go bad, and never like rear baggers that much, but most are that now anyway. I just like a simple Mulcher set-up and adjustable wheels, steel if one can get, maybe not anymore, and a 20" size.  I CAN'T see paying the $400 and up price tho of Any model, and Honda's are probly up in that range!

#5 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 02:46 PM

I had a Husqvarna self propelled with a Honda engine. Even with regular cleaning, in about five years rust holes started showing in the deck. Before I could fix them, the motor blew up. I bought a John Deere self propelled from Home Depot online as a close out model(because it was cheap and delivery was free) with a Briggs engine and I've run it four seasons now with zero issues.

I just helped buy a friend a self propelled Toro with the same engine and it's running very well.

I personally like self propelled and a rear bagger.

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:53 PM

rear bag would be a turn off for me though none really offer a good side discharge any more, the way today's discharge chutes are designed keeps me buying (and repowering if the deck is solid) used ones... self propelled? I can take it or leave it.

• Sawdust said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lawn mower, lawn care, suggestion, advice