• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 03:44 AM

Those coils are normally good or bad, but my dads would get hot and start acting up.
Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

In my limited experience, it is common for coils to fail when hot. Transistors stop switching when hot but will work fine after they cool down.
  • shorty said thank you

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:19 AM

Is this a new problem ? Thought it was just that it wouldn't start but once started ran well ?

#18 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • Member No: 59067
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 01:44 AM

Yes I think its the same problem, the engine will not run longer than 5 to 10 mins.

#19 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 01:06 AM

Hello,

The engine would crank over just wouldn't start. The next day I went out and it started right up so I'm going to replace the ignition module. It's going to be a couple weeks but I'll let everyone know if that fixes the problem.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

#20 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 02:42 AM

Hello,[/size]

The engine would crank over just wouldn't start. The next day I went out and it started right up so I'm going to replace the ignition module. It's going to be a couple weeks but I'll let everyone know if that fixes the problem.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Are you buying OEM or aftermarket module? I assume you have to pull the engine as I do on my Gravely 18-H?

#21 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:19 AM

Hello Artbus, yes the engine has to come out and I'm going back with OEM. I only want to do this once LOL.

#22 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 03:00 AM

Hello Artbus, yes the engine has to come out and I'm going back with OEM. I only want to do this once LOL.

Good luck. My rig is 24 years old and I have considered changing it coil a few times as PM but have not yet. Have pulled the engine (Kohler M18) a couple times to replace oil seal. You may already know this but the magnetic force is strong so set your gap a little heavy and the magnetic field will pull her into spec. I agree, stay with OEM.

#23 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 03:02 AM

Good luck. My rig (Ariens GT18 with Gravely badging) is 24 years old and I have considered changing coil a few times as PM but have not yet. Have pulled the engine (Kohler M18) a couple times to replace oil seal. You may already know this but the magnetic force is strong so set your gap heavy and the magnetic field will pull her into spec. I agree, stay with OEM.

#24 c--line OFFLINE  

c--line
  • Member No: 59021
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 05:38 PM

From what I've read in the engine manual, do not apply any power to the kill wire(will cause module damage), only needs to be grounded to stop engine. The relay gets energized when the switch is turned on which would open the Normally Closed contacts allowing the engine run. the print shows the kill wire going thru a relay(assuming it's the only relay, same as the seat switch stuff). I'm fighting the same print, putting a real wiring harness on my GT, the original had been cannibalized down to 3 wires. Good luck!!

#25 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 07:34 PM

The engine has been pulled, new ignition module installed. I should have time this week to install the engine back into the tractor and do a test run.

• Alc said thank you

#26 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 01:43 AM

Ok guys easy on my carpenter skills or lack of at building the A frame to pull the engine. LOL The engine was pulled, ignition replaced, everything back together and the tractor is running like new. Thanks again for all the help.

Ariens GT20 Ignition Problem

• Alc said thank you

#27 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 03:43 AM

I am a little old guy @ 67, 5' 7" and 145 lbs. Have pulled this engine a few times over the 25 years I have owned her, most recently a few years ago. Have often thought about building a frame like you did but always ended up manhandling her. If you remove the oil filter, she will slide forward so you can get a better lifting angle. Then grimace and throw her up on your work bench. Having said all of that, if there is a next time, I will build a frame! Bet 2x4's would have been plenty strong enough.

Beautiful tractor!

Edited by artbuc, August 28, 2016 - 03:46 AM.

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 05:43 AM

Great to hear you got the running problem solved !

#29 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 11:32 PM

Thanks everyone I have a lot more I want to do to the tractor. Hey Artbuc I grabbed the engine tinkling I was 20 again but I soon changed my mind and built the A frame LOL