Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Went to the Marshalltown, IA show yesterday.  Been wanting to hit that one for several years.  The time available, weather, and finances were finally in sync for this year so off we went.   180 miles from my pad to the show grounds.  I cheated and used some back roads for shortcuts.  Iowa back roads are better than Misery [Missouri] main roads.  MapQuest told me to go 40 miles west to the interstate when the show is north-northeast of me.  Crazy stuff!  We took the minivan without dragging the trailer and with the air-co on fresh air the MRS didn't complain too much about the gas smell from the engines I took. 

At first glance the show looks to be not that big.  They have everything setup perfect so displays are not strung out making for extra walking.  We didn't take a butt buggy and got along pretty good without it.  Lots to see and do. 

I highly recommend this show to anyone.  Worth the drive. 

The people working the show bent over backwards to help in any way they could, were super friendly, and showed much appreciation for our participation.   

And since I don't want any point assesment for not supplying pictures.....

marsh 1.jpg ,marsh 2.jpg ,marsh 3.jpg ,marsh 4.jpg ,marsh 5.jpg ,marsh 6.jpg ,

I didn't take tractors to display.  I took my new-to-me Cushman Binder engine.  Also took a couple of small air cooled engines.  A continental made Detroit,  a Lauson made Fairbanks, and a small Lauson on my gas powered fan. 

After running it a while it got to running faster and faster until it was shaking badly.  These are a low speed engine and can jump around if turning very fast.  The design of my cart also doesn't help.  I shut down and adjusted the governor to carb linkage making it just idle along.  The throttle shaft needs rebushed as its floppy but the engine itself is tight with good compression.  I can make it run slow enough that the water pump won't circulate water.  :smilewink:    Of course it'd get hot like that so I turned it to where it just does circulate a trickle. 

marsh 7.jpg

We stopped off in Newton, IA for a couple chunks of absolutely wonderful prime rib @ Montana Mikes steakhouse,  then resumed our trek home.  25 years ago I went through Newton, IA often and asked the hostess if this "used to be a Country Kitchen?"   She said yes it was.   Nice to see that area again.  I've often said if I had to move to another state it'd be Iowa.

Edited by Gtractor, August 07, 2016 - 01:14 PM.

• Bolens 1000, grnspot110, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#17 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:10 PM

I took the 40 to the Platte County Steam & Gas show just north of Kansas City yesterday:  Tractor Shows 2016 007.JPG

A couple of half scales:  Tractor Shows 2016 001.JPG  Tractor Shows 2016 002.JPG

I think Kris had these two in his post: Tractor Shows 2016 003.JPG

Gibson:  Tractor Shows 2016 004.JPG

Not very many garden tractors:  Tractor Shows 2016 005.JPG   Tractor Shows 2016 006.JPG

Farm tractor numbers were down too:  Tractor Shows 2016 008.JPG  Tractor Shows 2016 009.JPG

Nice old Pony:  Tractor Shows 2016 010.JPG

Different roll-over plow:  Tractor Shows 2016 011.JPG

Even a 1933 Hupmobile:Tractor Shows 2016 012.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#18 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 06:58 AM

Back from the Northwest Missouri Steam & Gas show at Hamilton, MO the last couple of days:  Tractor Shows 2016 020.JPG

1966 & 69 2520 & 5020:  Tractor Shows 2016 013.JPG

H:  Tractor Shows 2016 014.JPG

LA in need of some help:  Tractor Shows 2016 015.JPG

Oliver was the feature, nice little pair of Oliver & Cockshutt: Tractor Shows 2016 017.JPG  Tractor Shows 2016 019.JPG  

Old D4 with scraper, sign said it will be up for auction next Saturday:  Tractor Shows 2016 016.JPG

50+ tractors there yesterday:  Tractor Shows 2016 022.JPG

Some steam: Tractor Shows 2016 028.JPG  Tractor Shows 2016 024.JPG

Rumley "Oil Pull":  Tractor Shows 2016 027.JPG

Several small engines:  Tractor Shows 2016 029.JPG  Tractor Shows 2016 030.JPG  

1925 "T":  Tractor Shows 2016 023.JPG

Blacksmith shop is n't finished, but in the works: Tractor Shows 2016 025.JPG

Things didn't go as planned with the 40 Friday evening for the "Downtown Parade".  Drove it in to the staging area about a mile from the grounds, just as the parade started moving, it died like I'd switched it off!  Had several offers for help, even from the residents whose house I was parked in front of.  Friend of mine brought his trailer back after the parade, we rolled the 40 on & took it back to the shed at the grounds, got there yesterday morning & it started right up.  But that was the last startup in the battery, so Kris (Gtractor) pulled me with the 314 to start it to load for the trip home.  Battery charger has been on it @ 1.5 amps all night, so it should start this morning.  I'm thinking a loose wire, possibly on the back of the switch!

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 07:39 AM

Great pics, Lowell! Sorry the 40 let you down.

• grnspot110 said thank you

#20 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:48 AM

Great pics, Lowell! Sorry the 40 let you down.

Thanks!

The 40 is 63 years old, us "oldies" fail sometimes!   :D

• KennyP said thank you

#21 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 09:13 AM

And no pictures of me driving the 314!  :poke:

#22 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 11:24 AM

And no pictures of me driving the 314!  :poke:

I WAS BUSY!!!   :wallbanging:  :bigrofl:

Edited by grnspot110, August 21, 2016 - 11:27 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 01:05 PM

did kris just admit he drove a John Deere???

#24 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 04:50 PM

did kris just admit he drove a John Deere???

Yup!!!     :bigrofl:

He is a pretty good guy, but don't ever tell him I said so,  I'll deny it til the end!!!   :wallbanging:    :deadhorse:    :D 

• KennyP said thank you

#25 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 05:01 PM

attachicon.gifHPIM3328.JPG

That is definitely different...not too bad looking either...

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

#26 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 05:04 PM

Went to the Marshalltown, IA show yesterday. Been wanting to hit that one for several years. The time available, weather, and finances were finally in sync for this year so off we went. 180 miles from my pad to the show grounds. I cheated and used some back roads for shortcuts. Iowa back roads are better than Misery [Missouri] main roads. MapQuest told me to go 40 miles west to the interstate when the show is north-northeast of me. Crazy stuff! We took the minivan without dragging the trailer and with the air-co on fresh air the MRS didn't complain too much about the gas smell from the engines I took.
At first glance the show looks to be not that big. They have everything setup perfect so displays are not strung out making for extra walking. We didn't take a butt buggy and got along pretty good without it. Lots to see and do.

I highly recommend this show to anyone. Worth the drive.
The people working the show bent over backwards to help in any way they could, were super friendly, and showed much appreciation for our participation.

And since I don't want any point assesment for not supplying pictures.....

attachicon.gifmarsh 1.jpg,attachicon.gifmarsh 2.jpg,attachicon.gifmarsh 3.jpg,attachicon.gifmarsh 4.jpg,attachicon.gifmarsh 5.jpg,attachicon.gifmarsh 6.jpg,

I didn't take tractors to display. I took my new-to-me Cushman Binder engine. Also took a couple of small air cooled engines. A continental made Detroit, a Lauson made Fairbanks, and a small Lauson on my gas powered fan.
After running it a while it got to running faster and faster until it was shaking badly. These are a low speed engine and can jump around if turning very fast. The design of my cart also doesn't help. I shut down and adjusted the governor to carb linkage making it just idle along. The throttle shaft needs rebushed as its floppy but the engine itself is tight with good compression. I can make it run slow enough that the water pump won't circulate water. :smilewink: Of course it'd get hot like that so I turned it to where it just does circulate a trickle.
attachicon.gifmarsh 7.jpg

We stopped off in Newton, IA for a couple chunks of absolutely wonderful prime rib @ Montana Mikes steakhouse, then resumed our trek home. 25 years ago I went through Newton, IA often and asked the hostess if this "used to be a Country Kitchen?" She said yes it was. Nice to see that area again. I've often said if I had to move to another state it'd be Iowa.

I like that Cub crawler. Very different from Dan's setup.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • Gtractor said thank you

#27 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Mendon, MO 2016

Went to 'nuther show today.  VERY small town, but not far at all.   2nd annual antique tractor pull, tractor show, and car show.

Guess I forgot to take pics of the cars.

There were some nice ones from rat rods to correctly restored stuff.  Several pickups too. I'd guess around 30 vehicles. 

We've had well over 5 inches of rain the last 4 nights.  Sky and radar made me leery of even going!  Lotsa rain in the area this morning but it all fell apart just in time. Loaded up and ready last night, I decided I'd wait until I saw blue sky before I made like a baby on its birthday and head out.  Sun came out and although it was slightly warm, there was a good breeze.

My count was 24 antique tractors shown. With some empty holes in the lines I figure some had snuck out to try their luck on the weight transfer sled.   Got some pics of tractors so I don't get points. 

The Deere line. There were 3 categories judged at this show.  The 1010 won "best restoration"  I cipher that as best paint.  It WAS a fantastic job! 

Mendon 1.jpg

Row of Farmalls / McCormicks  with an Allis thrown in too.  The Allis was super nice and had a matching plow.  Somewhere in this row is a "B" Farmall that won "Best Original"   They started a middle row with a BF Moline and a 1206? IH that were both very pleasing to the eye.

Mendon  2.jpg

This was our end of the row. We were a lil late getting there waiting on the rain to clear out.  That put us close to the food shack and we had to smell the best smelling food I've smelt in some time. Kept me hungry all day!  The MRS took her Case VAO, although I hooked up the trailer, loaded and secured, and drove.  I took the Fabricobble Case I built.   The guy with the Avery next to us bought it 2 years ago off Purplewave.  He said its just been sitting in the shed all this time and this is his first show.  The ole Avery is slick!  He spent a lot of time polishing on the Avery in preparation of the judges inspection

Mendon 3.jpg

The MRS won "Best of Show" with her VAO, and once again,  I didn't win squat.   VAO had been sitting in an old open-ended hog shed since last July [2015!] with old flannel bed sheets over it. The sheets help with dust but it was still filthy.  I didn't even wash it off for the show, knowing the rain was coming last night.  Inch and 5/8 of very hard rain done a right decent job of cleaning-er up. I did wipe off one good size drop of bird doo, although I didn't taste it to cipher what the bird had been eating. 

Mendon 4.jpg

With all the rain I was scared the back roads would be flooded so I went the main road going over.  All the creeks were bank full.  In our part of Missouri there is a creek every mile or so.  Lots of low ground between home and this town.  48 miles going over. Since we didn't see any creeks actually out we took the back roads coming back home.  32 miles straight shot.  That's quite a difference percentage wise. 

• grnspot110 and KennyP have said thanks

#28 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:36 PM

And you didn't inform me they had a show???   :mad2:  :wallbanging:  :D

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#29 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I usually go to a bigger show this weekend, but since the wife had surgery a couple days ago I just took "PK" to a small display about 15 miles away.  The old engines, the other 2418 Power King & most of the farm tractors belong to "Ronnie" that Kris sometimes mentions:  Tractors 2016 114.JPG  Tractors 2016 118.JPG  Tractors 2016 116.JPG  Tractors 2016 117.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#30 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Thanx for the pics Lowell.  Would have loved to been there but today was the big sale in Pella, IA. 

I added to my collection and subtracted from my bank account once again.