• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Afrowookie OFFLINE  

Afrowookie
  • Member No: 83555
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hey all, I am new here as well a new owner of a JD LT166 with a Briggs and Stratton 303777 a 1998 I think.

I got this tractor from my friend who has a new tractor and needs the space.  So he gave it to me, and said it was running fine last year.  I replaced a battery and front tire.  But it still won't start.  When turning the key it turns over but stops, I know by fiddling with it that is seems to be getting no gas past the filter.  I tired to take the carburetor off to see the condition and clean it but I can't get it off completely.  I cannot get the carb off the mounting bolts, there is a spring and long thin rod assembly I can't get off the carb, the other end is connected to a bracket below the engine and appears the only way to remove it is to bend the rod or break.unless I am missing something.

Like I said before the engine does turn over, sometimes about a 1/4 turn and sometimes about a full turn.  If I keep the key turned sometimes I hear a whining sound.  If the gas doesn't get to the pump, is that the pump or carb, or something else?

Please help, any suggestions would be or great help.  Even some direction or instructions on how to remove the carburetor on this engine.  I can't find any manuals on this B & S.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Welcome to GTT. First don't bend that rod and spring, they are to the governor. If the engine won't turn over, don't hold the key on because it can cause a circuit to burn. Before playing with the carb get it to turn over properly. I suspect that you have a weak battery and/or a corroded connection. Check the battery terminals and engine ground. Check our Manuals Section for the engine manual. Follow the troubleshooting guide.
Make sure the PTO and the drive belt are disengaged. Good Luck, Rick

Try here for the manual:  http://gardentractor...ervice-manuals/

Edited by boyscout862, June 19, 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 914 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 05:11 PM

make sure you have good battery first if battery is charged and engine will not turn full turn. remove spark plugs and turn engine by hand and see if will turn complete turn easily. If engine turns easy with plugs removed then the valves need setting.

#4 Afrowookie OFFLINE  

Afrowookie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for responding.  The Battery is brand new and charged fully.  I will try what was suggested with the spark plugs and turning the engine.  Also will look at the manuals to see if my engine is there.

#5 Afrowookie OFFLINE  

Afrowookie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 07:23 PM

I tried what was suggested by removing spark plugs and turning the flywheel/engine by hand and it turned.  I can only turn it counter-clockwise.  If I try to turn it clockwise, it will always stop and seems to try and engage the deck, the deck bucks when I turn it this way and it stops abruptly.  Then I looked at the spark plugs and noticed they were both black.  Metered resistance on them and couldn't get any continuity on either plug at all.  Then while the spark plugs were connected to their respective connectors and grounded to the valve cover and turning the ignition switch, they don't seem to be creating any spark.  Also when turning the key while plugs are out the engine was turning over clockwise very slowly and then stop.  Could it be the starter and the plugs?

Edited by Afrowookie, June 23, 2016 - 08:45 PM.

#6 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • Member No: 82927
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:17 PM

It may be your magnetron. Same thing was going on with one of my MTDs. I put the plugs in a different LT and it fired right up. Look up ways to test the magnetron. The wires can be very small and difficult to see if the engine is dirty.

#7 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 342 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 12:18 AM

Did you turn the engine counter clockwise 2 full revolutions? If you turn counter clockwise 2 full revolutions can you turn it back clockwise the same distance?. When the deck bucks dose the deck belt tighten on one side? With the plugs out can you carefully reach under the deck with gloves on and turn the blades?    A spark plug should not have continuity between the center electrode and the base. Try the following link www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html  You may will have to copy and paste. Or you could google "spark plug carbon chart" with out the quotes Did you put the carburetor back where you found it? The engine needs to turn over properly, have compression and spark before being concerned with the carburetor.  Check the link below for a manual.                                                                                               Post back a reply to the above questions for more help.  Don

#8 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 342 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 12:22 AM

I see the link I put in my last post got striped. I'll attempt it again with quotes.  " https://www.briggsan...quested=303777 "    Ok this link seems to get you to the briggs manual page. Don

Edited by secondtry, August 01, 2016 - 12:24 AM.