21 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 12:33 PM

Chuck you being into the competetive side of Barbeque are miles ahead of us amatures. And I was hoping you would chime in.
Anything you can offer would be a great help. I only fire my pit up a few times a year and do a full load each time. What is not eaten same day goes in the freezer.
And makes for some quick meals.

MiddleAGE Deer: we also prefer charcoal/wood for all our grilling. I have both the smoker and Charcoal Grill. While I only fire up the smoke n pit a few times a year we use the grill often. For steaks, pork steaks I also sometime will grill turkey also.

I forgot to add, that you can smoke on a Grill if you c an hold the temp around 200-250 degrees.
The cheap grill I bought at walmart 2 yrs ago allows wm to drop the firebox low enough and by closing down the vents I can smoke meats with it when I don't want to do a Brisket large pork roast and Turkey all at once.
the beauty of smoking meats and barbeque is you don't need expensive or fancy equipment to do it.

I must confess, my wife is the cook. She makes all the rubs and brines,I'm just the fireman.
Though it is a constant learning experience to maintain temperature for optimum results.
And I enjoy that.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 15, 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#17 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Chuck, are you working on a Sunday or did you get internet at the house now?

We were on a trip and the place we were staying had the internet. One of these days I am going surprise you guys and show up online in the evening..

#18 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Chuck you being into the competetive side of Barbeque are miles ahead of us amatures. And I was hoping you would chime in.
Anything you can offer would be a great help. I only fire my pit up a few times a year and do a full load each time. What is not eaten same day goes in the freezer.
And makes for some quick meals.

I don't think I am miles ahead. For some inspiration check out lang smokers. They are reverse flow and a lot have a warmer over the firebox.

You mentioned wanting to cook for church dinners, How big of group are you talking? Do you have a size or tank in mind you want to use to build from?

Another design you might want to look at is Diamond plate product smokers .

One of my best friends has Good One and he loves it. It is very reliable smoker, It is a charcoal smoker though.

An advantage of charcoal cookers is the don't have to be feed as often as a wood fire (stick burner). When I cook on my big wood fired smoker I have to tend the fire/add wood every 45 min to 1.5 hours. That means if you are cooking through the night you don't get much/good sleep.

I hope this gives you some insight.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Our Church has an average attendance of 45-60 so not over 70. I am one of 7 children so with children grandkids & Great grandkids 45-70 again.

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Chuck: The Lang & Diamond plate are both interesting and have features I like.
I particularly like the horizontal tank layout open to the back of the trailer on the diamond plate unit.
One question, with the firebox in the center does he use some kind of baffle to divide the inlet and use the reverse flow to each side of the chamber?

#21 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:36 AM

I have seen that style with and with out a baffle. The have 2 inlets going from the fire box to the cooking chamber. One design I saw had a vented pipe that those 2 inlets came info that evenly spread the heat and smoke across the pit.

Another way that I have seen (and may be the way the diamond plate pit is I don't remember) is right above where the inlets come in there is a water pan that acts as a heat sink to help control temps and hot spots.

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Surfing various sites I have seen mention of the diamond plate having the two firebox outlets entering the camber at a 45 degree angle.
The pictures I have seen looked like one outlet entering in the center, which made me wonder about a baffle.
They also mention a water injection system option which would indicate the water pan you mention.

I don't see charcoal as a disadvantage. I have run my smoke n pit on charcoal for 15 yrs and added hardwood chunks for flavor.
When I run a full load, Brisket, Turkey & Pork roasts(I don't really smoke the ribs. I will run them in the smoker for an hour or so to flavor, then switch them to the grill to finish).
I burn about 10-15 lbs of Charcoal and wood chunks in about 8 hrs holding the temp around 250 degrees.
I figure about 45 minutes per pound of meat.
With the small firebox it seems I have to check it about every hour.

I have a dinner planned for Memorial Day and will be making some modifications to my Smoke n Pit before that.
The liner in the firebox is rusted out, so will make a new one, the coal grate is shot so will make a new one and will make a baffle between the firebox and chamber..