• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 08:57 AM

I'm too lazy er smart to keep raking the lawn by hand, therefore I'm looking for an estate rake for when I mow the neighbors lawn and my lawn. It will probably see some action raking grass for chickens if I decide to do some recreational mowing...

I don't want something that plugs easily, because it seems to rain for 3 weeks then it gets dry enough to mow. I guess I get more seat time hauling clippings like that...

Style doesn't matter very much, I'd prefer the V rake type though...

Any recommendations?

Tell me about your experiences with them too! And do share pics!

Edited by Greasy6020, June 19, 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 11:18 AM

This is what I have. Works great, but not good for month and a half uncut grass. One pass ok but more than that might plug up. Great for normal lawn, not hay field.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• limebuzz, grnspot110, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 03:07 PM

I mentioned before that I was working on building a sleeve hitch dump rake from a tow behind de-thatcher. I got some build time in on it today and decided to take it for a trial run.  I was planning on running guage wheels on the back of it, welded brackets on there for that purpose, but it seems to work fine without them. I do plan to clean it up a bit from what you see in the pictures, but it works fine as is. To use it, you drop the rake, drive till you have a good sized pile, then lift the rake and "dump" the pile. As soon as you are clear of the pile. you drop the rake again and repeat. This is done "on the fly", you do not stop the tractor between "dumps"

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg

• grnspot110, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#4 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 08:15 PM

I mentioned before that I was working on building a sleeve hitch dump rake from a tow behind de-thatcher. I got some build time in on it today and decided to take it for a trial run.  I was planning on running guage wheels on the back of it, welded brackets on there for that purpose, but it seems to work fine without them. I do plan to clean it up a bit from what you see in the pictures, but it works fine as is. To use it, you drop the rake, drive till you have a good sized pile, then lift the rake and "dump" the pile. As soon as you are clear of the pile. you drop the rake again and repeat. This is done "on the fly", you do not stop the tractor between "dumps"

Jim

I am working on the same idea except all I plan on changing just the hitch bracket. I do not have the de-thatcher available right now, but in a couple of weeks will be where it is located.

Dethatcher.jpg

This is the de-thatcher that I purchased a few years ago at Menards.

Dethatcher 1.jpg          Dethatcher 2.jpg

I will use this so that I can connected to the sleeve hitch. I also plan to remove the wheels & all of its brackets. This connector will have holes drilled as I work at the conversion. I think what is used now for towing it should be strong enough for conversion to the sleeve hitch. I will save the parts that I remove so that I can return to the original set up if this does not work as planned.

Charlie

• Alc, propane1, CanadianHobbyFarmer and 1 other said thanks

#5 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 08:57 PM

If doing this to make money the best way is a rear discharge deck and a sweeper, You can cut and sweep up cuttings in one pass. ​When cutting grass for profit, the less time spent equals higher profits.

Cutting and sweeping at once may add around 1/2 hr than just cutting depending on distance to travel to empty the sweeper

Sweepers come in various size.

Steiner makes a nice big sweeper 

th.jpg

If doing for fun and seat time, estate rake or other types of rakes mentioned will be fun to operate but take longer to do the job

• Alc, propane1, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 10:15 PM

If doing this to make money the best way is a rear discharge deck and a sweeper, You can cut and sweep up cuttings in one pass. ​When cutting grass for profit, the less time spent equals higher profits.
Cutting and sweeping at once may add around 1/2 hr than just cutting depending on distance to travel to empty the sweeper
th.jpg
If doing for fun and seat time, estate rake or other types of rakes mentioned will be fun to operate but take longer to do the job

The estate rake is just for entertainment.

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 10:28 PM

I am working on the same idea except all I plan on changing just the hitch bracket. I do not have the de-thatcher available right now, but in a couple of weeks will be where it is located.

attachicon.gifDethatcher.jpg

This is the de-thatcher that I purchased a few years ago at Menards.

attachicon.gifDethatcher 1.jpg         attachicon.gifDethatcher 2.jpg

I will use this so that I can connected to the sleeve hitch. I also plan to remove the wheels & all of its brackets. This connector will have holes drilled as I work at the conversion. I think what is used now for towing it should be strong enough for conversion to the sleeve hitch. I will save the parts that I remove so that I can return to the original set up if this does not work as planned.

Charlie

That looks pretty much like mine was supposed to, so I am guessing it should work out for you. I bought mine new in the box and started modifying it right away. It was never put together as the manufacturer intended. I have found uses for most of the other bits and pieces that came in the box as well.

Jim

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 10:32 PM

If doing this to make money the best way is a rear discharge deck and a sweeper, You can cut and sweep up cuttings in one pass. ​When cutting grass for profit, the less time spent equals higher profits.

attachicon.gifth.jpg

I am actually using my grass clippings as hay, so it needs a couple of days of drying before I rake it up and bag it. For most people your method makes more sense.

Jim

• James Bosma said thank you

#9 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 08:42 AM

I am actually using my grass clippings as hay, so it needs a couple of days of drying before I rake it up and bag it. For most people your method makes more sense.

Jim

Neat stuff, I'd like to hear more about your Hay making experiences.

I want to try making hay for rabbits eventually...

Edited by Greasy6020, June 20, 2016 - 08:42 AM.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#10 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:00 PM

Neat stuff, I'd like to hear more about your Hay making experiences.

I want to try making hay for rabbits eventually...

Basically I just let it get a bit longer than usual before cutting, then let it dry for a few days, the same as you would do for regular hay. When it is dry I rake it into piles (previously by hand, but now I have the dump rake).  I then take empty feed bags and stuff as much of the loose hay as I can into the bags, then stack them in the barn. I use the hay for supplementing the pellets I already feed my meat rabbits and I also use it to line nest boxes for both my rabbits and chickens. About 15 to 20 bags will get me through most winters.

Jim

• propane1 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#11 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Basically I just let it get a bit longer than usual before cutting, then let it dry for a few days, the same as you would do for regular hay. When it is dry I rake it into piles (previously by hand, but now I have the dump rake). I then take empty feed bags and stuff as much of the loose hay as I can into the bags, then stack them in the barn. I use the hay for supplementing the pellets I already feed my meat rabbits and I also use it to line nest boxes for both my rabbits and chickens. About 15 to 20 bags will get me through most winters.

Jim

How many head of animals do you have?

#12 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 04:27 PM

About 15 to 20 chickens at the moment. I hope to get rid of some before winter. The number of Rabbits varies, but I am trying to keep  it at one buck, 2 or 3 does and whatever young ones are being raised for the freezer. I also usually raise two or 3 pigs over the summer, but I try to have them butchered by late October to mid November.

Jim

• Greasy6020 said thank you