#16 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Have a close look at the front and middle gear teeth on the three dear cluster - the space between the teeth on them just don't look right in the picture but it may just be camera angle and lighting.

The pulley on the PTO shaft should be splined and held on with a snap ring on either side of it is original - remove it and the belt guard should come off no problem.  If you hold your face right and say the magic words you can sometimes rotate the guard and slide it over the pulley depending on how distorted and lucky you are.  Sometimes the splines get worn and people weld the pulley to the shaft - if this is the case you will probably have to remove the snap rings on the front end of the shaft and slide the shaft and pulley out - you will have to remove the front bearing to get at the second snap ring - a little trickier and messy but it can be done. 

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 03:17 AM

I'll check out pulleys coming off easy. Not that common on old rusty stuff.

#18 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 08:19 PM

29, Looked at gears again, as you said looked odd in pictures.  Well all looks like new. After I turned the shaft and oil got on them, they looked a little goofy till it rolled off more. Think that is what was seen in pix. I went thru all the gears in both ranges and nice and smooth, not taking anything out and just cleaning up the outside.  I really wish the top on this wasn't all that pan from rest of tractor!!  I want to gunk down and p-wash more, but not sure how to keep water out of this thing. I DID drain it today, so may just let it rip and not worry about water in it. I could probly just turn open side down and work on it that way to keep most of it out.

I found a brake drum rotor for it on epay today, so that is coming. Still working on tearing into engine to see what is there. I found many parts listed under Bolens GT14 for the engine, yet when elsewhere I have wrong model number engine and not finding right stuff. My shrould is gone, so have no numbers to use. Found some shrouds, but waiting to see what's inside this engine first. Found couple rods and pistons too.