#1 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • Member No: 62893
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 12:13 AM

Pre 1968 John Deere 110.

Having a time with the belts.

The belt for the kick pedal, from the PTO was not with the tractor. The belt from the Mule to the deck also was not with the tractor.

Looking in the John Deere parts book online, they are listing the belt from the mule to the mower deck as being between 70 something and eighty inches.

The smaller sheave 3-1/4" sheave on the PTO was not available, I opened the smaller sheave but could not find the bearing with a small enough ID to fit the 1/2" bolt that holds it on. I was stuck with the larger sheave pulley from John Deere. It is about 4-1/2" OD and so a little longer belt was needed. I found the 4L300 from NAPA to be a fit. Not quite as much room for adjustments with the larger sheave.

Now is when it gets interesting.

I have a Gates belt that is suppose to fit from the mule to the mower deck, that belt is green Gates Power rated belt 5L680K and is 68" on the outside circumference. Much too long.

I took an extension cord, about 3/8ths in diameter and wrapped it around the pulleys, from the mule to the decks pulley, marked the cord and measured, it comes to 58", which I know will not be quite right but it should get it close.

So, with the parts book, from the dealer and also from the parts stores not having the proper numbers for the belts, at least not the right numbers for this unit, can anyone enlighten Me as to what belts I really need ?

Thank You

Martin

• hamman said thank you

#2 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 12:19 AM

Oh yes, when I wrapped the extension cord around the pulleys to get a measurement, I had the mule spring loaded, Mule about half ay into its travel.

Also, I am hoping that with the Mule being rotated like that, there will be enough adjustment on the belt from the PTO to the mule. If not, I might have to get a shorter belt. :rolling:

• hamman said thank you

#3 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 11:31 AM

The 58" belt is a fit.

Now the problem is that over sized pulley/sheave attached to the system to engage/dis~engage the PTO. It will rub on one pulley or the other.

I have on it a 1/2 by 30 4L300 belt, it is too long. The 4L290 belt is too short.

Guess I will try to find something to repair the old smaller pulley/sheave.

IMG_2546.jpg

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 11:53 AM

Marty, I think the trouble you are having is due to you not being correct on the year of the tractor that you have. It seems to me that you are looking for parts for a 1968 model year 110, however what you are describing sounds like you have a round fender 110 which was made from 1963 through 1967. Maybe I'm wrong???

When you are doing a search for belts and parts, be sure you are searching for parts that are below 100,000 serial numbers. The mower deck drive belt for a 1968 model (100,000 and above) is a lot longer than that of a 1967 110 drive belt. The round fender uses a single belt for the mower deck drive, and the PTO has it's own separate belt, whereas the flat fender 110 uses a single belt for the PTO and mower deck all in one. 

Mower deck belts for a 38 deck on a round fender 110 are part #'s:

M40222 - 38 Mower Primary

M40223 - 38 Mower Deck 

M40224 - 38 Mower Deck Secondary

Mower deck belts for a 39 deck on a flat fender 110 are part #'s:

M42779 - 39 Mower Deck Primary 

M40223 - 39 Mower Deck 

• MrMarty51 said thank you

#5 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Thank You Johndeereelfman.

Maybe that was My mistake.

After some traveling around town, I got a spacer shim to go from a 1/2" to a 5/8ths inch bore. Went to the parts store and was able to get a 6202-FFB bearing that has a 5/8ths I.D.

Now, I can put back together the old 3-1/4" sheave.

Life is good. Going to put the boat on the river in a short while.

#6 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 07:57 PM

AHHHHHhhhhh. Boat drive was mighty refreshing. Didn`t do any fishing, Just went for a drive up the river.

After getting back, just now. I took the right angle grinder with a wire buffing wheel on it, buffed out the rusty Vs of the mule and the deck pulley.

got a belt from NAPA 4L570. Fired up the tractor, engaged the PTO and it WORKS. :wave: t

Thank You everyone for all of the responses in getting this nice little machine to running. It is very much appreciated.

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 08:23 AM

That black pulley in the picture looks larger than the one I had on my RF110.  Are you sure that is the correct part?

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 03:41 PM

Here are pics of my crusty '67 110

Attached Thumbnails

• 1105drive.jpg

Edited by Trav1s, June 19, 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#9 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 07:18 PM

That black pulley in the picture looks larger than the one I had on my RF110.  Are you sure that is the correct part?

That black pulley is what John Deere will now hand a feller, no more small size pulleys.

The black pulley will absolutely not fit, much too big.

I got a 6202 FFB bearing from NAPA then used a sleeve inside of it to take it from a 5/8ths to a 1/2 inch ID. I put the old pulley back together with that combination, using small screws and locktite on the screws and nuts. It now works as it should. even with a belt one size too long.

Here are pics of my crusty '67 110

Thank You Travis.

After looking over the blades, they all three were on upside down, with the flip for draft pointing groundwards. I flipped over the blades, engaged the PTO and Lo and behold, they were spinning the wrong direction. :rolling:

It took Me a while to figure out that one, flipped the primary deck belt at the mule, so now the top of the belt is going to the right hand side of the decks pulley, that changed the direction of the blades and now, the little tractor is working as it should. :thumbs:  :wave:  :rocker2:

• Trav1s said thank you