• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ndjd316 OFFLINE  

ndjd316

• Member No: 3320
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Hey guy's, this is my first post. I am looking for the gap for the spark plug and points for my koler 16hp. Also anyone know where I can find the user manual for this tractor. The one I found posted here is not the same model as mine. Mine has both brake pedals on the right side. By the way does anyone know if the brakes are supposed to be tied to the hydro input or not. My old cub cadet would go back to N when you set the brake. Thanks for any help.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! I just got a 314 a few weeks go and it has a 14HP Kohler. Check in the engine manuals section for the Kohler service manual. If it is not there youy can get it off the Kohler site. It has all the spec's and procedures for troubleshooting, maintenance and repair. At opeengines.com you can get access to Kohler parts diagrams and part no's. I recently ordered parts from them and the service was excellent. I believe the plug gap should be .035 and the points .020. As far as manuals go the JD manuals are hard to get online for certain models. You can order them from JD technical publications in CD or print format. If you go to JDparts .com and go to the parts catalog, enter 316 as a model search and you can find the parts diagrams , cost and availability of parts. I registered and can order parts online and pick them up at my local JD dealer. Very convenient.
I'm not sure about the brakes on a 316 but on a 314 (1 pedal) the brake is really only for parking and I don't think it comes back to neutral when you apply the brakes. You have to return the speed lever to neutral to stop. There is a label on the dash indicating this.

Good luck with the 316 and feel free to post your questions here.

#3 ndjd316 OFFLINE  

ndjd316

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the fast feedback. The sun finaly came out so I am going to head out and try to get my 316 running.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Rain seems to be a common theme everywhere this spring. We have had roughly 2 times or average rainfall for May already and another 2 day + rain event is coming on Monday. It makes it hard to get anything done outside but I have been working on the 314 in the garage.

#5 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 12:48 PM

spark plug gap is .035

#6 ndjd316 OFFLINE  

ndjd316

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Thanks guys for the info, I installed new plug and points also did a carb clean. Started right up after I set the carb to the specs I found in the Kohler manual, just need to do final adjustments to smooth it out. Awsome web site.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 09:56 AM

Glad to hear you got it running. Why don't you post some pictures of the tractor. We all like to see them.

#8 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 10:59 PM

if you need anything else on that 316 i have the technical service manual i can get you all the specs you need