a new to me case 220

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newcaseowner OFFLINE  

• Member No: 74336
  • 22 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 12:10 PM

i swung a deal with a guy for a case 220 with working mower deck and push blade.

will be giving him $500.00 for every thing on the 2nd of July when i go to pick it up.

the only thing is mine has a hydraulic cylinder and this one is manual lift with the lever.

he says as far as he knows it needs an oil change,battery and fresh gas for it to run.

as it has not been started for at least ten years so i would think all of the fluids will need to be changed.

he also told me it needs new belts can any one tell me what the length of the belts are inch wise so i can go to tsc and pick them up.

even if the engine needs. to be fixed i can still use the tractor for spare parts anyway.

so i figure it is a good deal as my mower deck looks like it needs about $300.00 to rehab it.

it looks about as good as this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• gopher, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JBRamsey ONLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 12:34 PM

I would not spend any money on parts until you get it in your hands and can troubleshoot it. Belts can look like crap and still run a long time. Or they may just need some adjustments.

Good luck and have fun.
  • boyscout862 and newcaseowner have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 01:36 PM

Damned if that would be a parts tractor!

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,707 Thanks
  • 2,167 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Nice solid machines, I could never get used to the drive system on them.  Pics when you get them!!!!!!!!!

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 682 Thanks
  • 413 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 05:34 PM

If it hasn't run for a long time I'd suggest a little penetrating oil down the spark plug hole and let it sit for a day or two.  Then turn it over gently by hand to make sure things are free.  Don't want to break a ring on surface rust.

• newcaseowner said thank you

#6 newcaseowner OFFLINE  

• 22 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 06:01 PM

Damned if that would be a parts tractor!

it wont be i am cleaning it up to use my other tractor that i rebuilt the engine in just decided to seize the rod to the crank after running 4 hours.

i have had the new one running it just needed a battery so now it is my grass cutter.

it is all factory stock from the ground up.

i do need to swap the pto clutch from my other tractor as the friction disk is un bonded from the pulley..

both tractors use the exact same clutch..

well i am back to working the tractor..

#7 newcaseowner OFFLINE  

• 22 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 09:14 AM

an update on the new to me case 220 pulled the head today to clean out the carbon and got a good surprise it still has a STD piston.

it does not burn any oil at all but the carb was running a bit rich but that is fixed now..

the charging system is a little funky so i will change voltage regulator and also the starter solenoid and it should running perfect then.

i fixed the j44 mower deck yesterday it needed a new idler pulley and belt..

i have the deck on my other 220 and mowed the yard yesterday with it and all is well with the mower deck.

i think i got a super good deal for 500 bucks  i got the 220 , j44 deck , push blade and a set of chains with it also..

almost forgot the tires are original as far as i can tell and they look like brand new tires they are the goodyear 23x8.50x12 tires..

Edited by newcaseowner, July 03, 2016 - 09:17 AM.