Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help: Bolens H-16 2 Stage Blower Build....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Well, i've done it this time. Bought an H-16 JUST to put a 2-stage Sears 46" Snowblower on! Here is my logic thus far. The PTO shaft on the Bolens spins counter-clockwise, while the input on the blower spins clockwise. This makes a direct-drive system impossible. I have the front/mid PTO assembly off a White GT-1855 (A 15 spline shaft with two mounting bearing assemblies). This has a pully in it, which is the same diameter as the original drive pully. So, I have the shafts to run the PTO shaft assembly, could I theoretically flip a belt 180° to connect the two pullies (Which will be right under each other) with a tensioner? Will this be asking for trouble in heavy snow?

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,150 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 02:36 PM

I would suggest using gears and a roller chain set up similar to the one in the picture (#40 or 60) - less chance of slippage in my opinion.  You will want to put a shield around the chain and gears to protect them from the elements (snow).  You can also change the number of teeth on the drive and driven gear to match the speed of the PTO to what the blower requires in case they are different - just a suggestion.

Attached Thumbnails

• Changing Rotation Direction.jpg

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 11:50 PM

I am under the impression that the Bolens PTO turns clockwise (same as the engine crankshaft)  when viewed from the front of the tractor, and counter-clockwise when viewed from the rear of the tractor. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, June 17, 2016 - 11:51 PM.

#4 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 07:11 AM

I am under the impression that the Bolens PTO turns clockwise (same as the engine crankshaft) when viewed from the front of the tractor, and counter-clockwise when viewed from the rear of the tractor.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes.