• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 11:14 AM

I am ready to repower my 1886-01. Can someone look over the attachment and confirm, engine/harness/pto shaft/exhaust going to work out ok? Seems to me yes, but not totally sure. I can really use some help here. This is my first go around. Its probably overkill, but that's how I roll!! Also going to need a pair of those fatty front rims and tires!!

Thank you

Bernie

Attached Thumbnails

• repower.PNG

Edited by bprzyw, June 17, 2016 - 12:40 PM.

• Paulgo said thank you

#2 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 03:08 PM

I am ready to repower my 1886-01. Can someone look over the attachment and confirm, engine/harness/pto shaft/exhaust going to work out ok? Seems to me yes, but not totally sure. I can really use some help here. This is my first go around. Its probably overkill, but that's how I roll!! Also going to need a pair of those fatty front rims and tires!!

Thank you

Bernie

You can make a lot of different engines fit in the Bolens... there's a lot of space under the hood, especially if you use a smaller fuel tank.  The Kohler will probably bolt right in to the mounting plate, but I'm pretty sure it's crankshaft centerline is lower than the K482 in the 1886.  This will probably require some adaption so the drive line doesn't contact the treadle pedal cross shaft.  As for the rest of the items, I have no clue as I haven't ever used a store-bought wiring harness for a GT transplant. Ditto for the stub shaft, etc. 

Most people make some basic measurements of the engine compartment "envelope", then select an engine.  After getting the engine, they then start looking at what will work for stub shaft, wiring, etc.

There is a post somewhere here on GT Talk where a person repowered a Bolens 1886/HT with a Kohler or Briggs V-twin and it came out nicely.

I used to have an 1886-01, and now have an HT23 that I'll be putting a diesel in... the driveline/cross shaft interference issue is one I'm wrestling with right now.

Good luck on your repower... post some pictures of your machine.

Regards,

Smitty

• MH81 and bprzyw have said thanks

#3 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Smitty,

Thank you. I am sure it will fit, as all measurements are within spec. Not to worried about building a engine riser plate. Will take pictures before and after. Measure the PTO centerline to mounting plate, and match with new engine. The parts tie in with another user "Steevo" on Mytractorfourm". I was not sure if anyone else used them. I thank you.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 10:32 AM

Steevo is also a member here.

http://gardentractor...ser/815-steevo/

#5 Sick06G35 OFFLINE  

Sick06G35
  • Member No: 61039
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Following your post as im also getting ready to repower my 1886.
  • bprzyw said thank you

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:18 PM

Following your post as im also getting ready to repower my 1886.

Well, I haven't done anything in a month--summers are way busy for me... hopefully I can get to it before the snow flies.

Smitty

• bprzyw said thank you

#7 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Well, everything ordered, should be arriving Monday the 18th. Hoping to at least get current measurements on pto shaft height, take a bunch of pics as is. Since I already had it apart 1-2 years ago, it is clean. I have gotten the larger 20 x 10 x 10 tires (used) and wheels along with the front hubs, spindles and bushings, bearings from BHTS. Its been sitting in my barn for awhile now. So a new project is welcome. I will try to post many pics. If you look at my gallery, you can see some pics there.

• Austen said thank you

#8 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Well, everything ordered, should be arriving Monday the 18th. Hoping to at least get current measurements on pto shaft height, take a bunch of pics as is. Since I already had it apart 1-2 years ago, it is clean. I have gotten the larger 20 x 10 x 10 tires (used) and wheels along with the front hubs, spindles and bushings, bearings from BHTS. Its been sitting in my barn for awhile now. So a new project is welcome. I will try to post many pics. If you look at my gallery, you can see some pics there.

Looking forward to following along. :thumbs:

• bprzyw said thank you

#9 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:34 AM

Started to disassemble tractor. 1st question that comes to mind, before I unbolt the engine, is how to measure for pto height?, and 2nd question is the 3 belt idler pulley supposed to move freely? By freely, I mean I almost need a wrench to turn it. 3rd question, does anyone have a spare set of front wheel spacers? Enjoy the pictures, there will be more.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0356.JPG
  • IMG_0357.JPG
  • IMG_0358.JPG
  • IMG_0359.JPG
  • IMG_0360.JPG
  • IMG_0361.JPG
  • IMG_0362.JPG
  • IMG_0363.JPG
  • IMG_0364.JPG
  • IMG_0365.JPG
  • IMG_0366.JPG
  • IMG_0367.JPG
  • IMG_0368.JPG
  • IMG_0369.JPG
  • IMG_0370.JPG

• MH81, Rock farmer and nglauer have said thanks

#10 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:54 AM

You measure the PTO height from the base plate that the motor is sitting on to the centerline of the engine crank shaft.
You'll want a front to rear measurement too.
Note that there is very little clearance around the drive shaft. You can't go any higher.
The idler pulley should spin freely.

Joe

#11 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Joe. I figured that would be the location. Noticed there is hardly any room in the rear. Thought so about the idler pulley, just need to be sure of these things.

#12 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 04:10 PM

Looking good, Joe is wright on how to get the height. Just make sure you use the new ignition switch that came with the motor I sent you. looking forward to see some more pics as you install it all.

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,633 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Lots of tractors use rims that are similar to yours , but the offset is different. I know that some Wheel Horse have a little more.

• bprzyw said thank you

#14 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Thanks guys. I can probably work with 1.5" and make a set of spacers if I cannot find ones that work.

#15 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Ok, old engine out. Boy let me tell you that thing is HEAVY!!!. Here are some pics, as I know we all love pics.......... and a picture of the new engine

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0372.JPG
  • IMG_0373.JPG
  • IMG_0374.JPG
  • IMG_0375.JPG
  • IMG_0376.JPG
  • IMG_0377.JPG
  • IMG_0378.JPG

• MH81, Trav1s, Rock farmer and 5 others have said thanks