24 replies to this topic

#16 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 09:15 AM

Those moths are now eating the pine trees. It's horrible over here too and in the north east in general this year. We were warned about this in the fall last year. Feel better Rick, you can stop by my shop and drop off that Case anytime :)

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Wood ticks are all across the country and up North into Canada and down into Mexico.  I keep the area around the house and dog pen sprayed all year with Tempo.  Expensive product but it goes a long ways.Has worked good for me on all biting insects as well as any spiders ants, etc.  I find about one or two crawling ticks a year on me is all.  Use to find more when I was haying but done with that for several years.  Will be spraying  a lot of the yard and low tree branches a little later in prep for a family reunion tomorrow.

#18 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 12:45 PM

If you are in the country, get some guineas. They will clear your yard of every bug and tick. Next you can get some of your clothes treated with Permethrin. It's good for up to 50 washes and keeps ticks off of you without putting chemicals on your body.

Lyme diseases is nasty stuff. It put two of my buddies down for a while. And one still has aches and pains.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 04:21 PM

If you are in the country, get some guineas. They will clear your yard of every bug and tick. Next you can get some of your clothes treated with Permethrin. It's good for up to 50 washes and keeps ticks off of you without putting chemicals on your body.

Lyme diseases is nasty stuff. It put two of my buddies down for a while. And one still has aches and pains.

Neighbors have guineas but the fisher cats, foxes, and coyotes take a big toll.

I picked up the tractor yesterday and got a bunch of other stuff too. I was so bushed that I didn't get everything unloaded until a little while ago. I hope to go back tomorrow for the TORO and a C10 front axle. May get a 57 Chevy hood too.

I woke up this morning with my hip hurting. Sure enough, I had another deer tick stuck into me. It shouldn't have been there because I had taken a hot shower last night and they are suposed to need 24 hours to latch on. I yanked him off and put triple antibiotic ointment on the wound but the area is red. One thing I should point out is that Lymes is usually transmitted by deer ticks. They are very small and hard to detect until they've bitten. Even then they are easy to miss.

I decided to make my own shade in my work area. I'll try to set up an old tent garage frame(10' x 20') over my area and put a 15' x 20' tarp over it. The frame needs alot of straightening and repairs but it needs to be done so that I can get some progress made on projects.  Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Sorry to hear of your issues Rick.  Sure sucks I'm sure.  Wish some of us were near you so we could help throw up that work shade.

#21 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 10:12 PM

That stinks. Need to lay on the DEET. I used to travel to South America a lot for work. Ticks weren't an issue, but mosquitoes and all of the diseases they carry were a big concern. I had to take malaria preventative and coat myself with 100% DEET after showering. It's hard on your skin but beats the alternative.

#22 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Man I'm sorry you have been hit by these insidious buggers. It is a long battle, praying your Dr's at VA work close with you to control it.

For those of you that have never really been bothered by ticks and the diseases they carry consider yourself very fortunate. They are straight from that place of fire and brimstone... I've been on work sites where we treat our clothes twice a day with chemicals that you don't want near you and even put flea/tick collars around our boots, which seems to help some. Strip outer layer of clothes before getting in truck, put everything into a plastic sealed tub. Hot showers every night as soon as possible and the clothes washed every day (don't leave them in a open basket for a few days, the ticks will then be in your living quarters) We also found that we needed to spray the door sills of our trucks regularly ( this also helped with ants which was in another post recently), once the little buggers get in your carpet, seats etc. it is just about impossible to get them out without serious chemicals inside the vehicle which you then breath....       I REALLY HATE TICKS !!

Guineas around the home place DO make a HUGE difference if you can keep them.

• MH81, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:51 PM

I'm half way through the Doxy and am feeling a bit better but still don't have stamina. After supper I noticed a young looking coyote in our south yard. He was alittle bigger than normal coyotes and was trying to follow some deer that had been through earlier. The three flocks of birds, in the neighborhood, may be in trouble. Earlier today, I caught a hawk raiding a humming birds nest. The darned catapillars have exposed everything. I haven't gotten the shade up yet but I keep getting other ideas too. It was too hot out today anyway. Good Luck, Rick

#24 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 12:43 PM

I finished my antibiotics this morning. I'm feeling alot better but my eyes aren't as sharp as they were. I hope that I continue to recover but I keep finding ticks on me. We had too mild of a winter.

I went outside and found that the gypsy moths were coming out of their pupae. Being a tree hugger kind of guy, I got a broom and smashed most that I saw. That broom stinks so bad that I can't bring it inside anymore. I hope that the storms that we are supposed to get tonight will mess them up. My shade area isn't shady so I will put in an effort to set up the tent garage this weekend. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 01, 2016 - 12:44 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 11:00 PM

Good to read you're feeling better. I hope the eyesight improves quickly.