• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I got hit with a double wammy this month. I got Lyme Disease for the fifth time and we have been infested with gypsy moth catapillars. While on antibiotics, to fight the Lymes, I can not let  my skin be exposed to direct sunlight. My favorite outside work area is normally in shade by 1400hrs. Now that the catapillars have stripped the leaves off of most of my trees, I don't have shade until 1800hrs. By 1800hrs, I'm pretty well pooped. Before going on the antibiotics, I was sleeping alot during the day. I'm doing better but it will take time. Several neighbors have been permanently damaged by the disease.

The up side to this is I'm spending more time on CL and finding some good toys. Tommorrow I'm supposed to pickup a Case 210 for $50. It runs but has no attachments. A pick of my shade trees.

SD530979.JPG   Dark areas on the right tree are masses of catapillars.

Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 16, 2016 - 07:17 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, coldone and 12 others have said thanks

#2 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Start growing pine trees.
Or, just make a lean to to work under.
I haven't got Lyme desease yet, but, I feel for ya!
It's here and I know it. Hate the thought.

Joe
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I prefer my black oaks as they are already here. They are great firewood. They shed their leaves in the fall so that the yard is warmer in the  winter.

There is 4 versions of Lymes now. It is a nasty long term infection if not caught early. I think that I was bitten in late February or early March but didn't have the bullseye rash. Last week, bright sunlight became anoying. That and the sleeping alot told me that I probably had Lymes. I went to the VA and they gave me antibiotics right away after 3 days I started to feel a little better. 

Long, hot and soapy showers every day are a good preventative measure. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, MFDAC, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Never heard of lymes disease. I'll look it up on google. Get better soon.

Noel.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:06 PM

Never heard of lymes disease. I'll look it up on google. Get better soon.

Noel.

It is a tick borne disease. It was first identified in Lyme, CT in the 1980s. It has flu like symptoms but attacks all organs eventually. A Newsweek article about 8 years ago said that it was a biological weapon that escaped from the Plum Island Labs. Plum Island is off the coast of Lyme, CT.

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 10 others have said thanks

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,790 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Wow who Knew ? makes sense though .

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:49 PM

I hope you are feeling better soon Rick. I don't think I have ever been bitten by a tick, but there are supposed to be ones carrying Lyme's around here and this is supposed to be a bad year for them so far. I just wanted to mention that a bit of steel or rust in your eye can cause extreme sensitivity to light as well. I have had this happen twice. The first time the sensitivity got so bad I had to wear welding glasses (like you would use with an acetylene torch) to be able to work in normal daylight.

Jim

• boyscout862, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#8 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • Member No: 62893
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:12 PM

Nasty stuff.

My BIL picked up the Rocky Mountain spotted fever, from a tick. He still has occasional bouts with that stuff.

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:50 PM

Rick:

Which antibiotic, and for how many days?

I have been affected by Lyme many times in the past 17 years, and have never had the "bulls-eye" rash. 

I was on antibiotics for most of one year, while trying to learn which antibiotic was best for my strain of Lyme.  .....For me, doxycycline is most effective of the several antibiotics tried.

Beside re-infection by a new tick bite, it was explained to me that some of the Lyme strains can go dormant, only to reactivate later date.

Your post struck home with me because some of my symptoms have been re-appearing recently.

For those not familiar with Lyme, it is very difficult to diagnose because there are many symptoms which affect each person differently.  ....For a long time, doctors and the CDC would not acknowledge Lyme disease, with some doctors believing it did not exist.

• KennyP, boyscout862, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 11:06 PM

Lyme sounds horrendous. Lots of info in our area as ticks have finally arrived. Plenty of folks getting Lyme shots for their dogs. Hope your symptoms pass soon. There is a pic of a tick in this article. 

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-area-1.2651777

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#11 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 11:21 PM

Rick:

I have been affected by Lyme many times in the past 17 years, and have never had the "bulls-eye" rash. 

I was on antibiotics for most of one year, while trying to learn which antibiotic was best for my strain of Lyme.  .....For me, doxycycline is most effective of the several antibiotics tried.

Beside re-infection by a new tick bite, it was explained to me that some of the Lyme strains can go dormant, only to reactivate later date.

Your post struck home with me because some of my symptoms have been re-appearing recently.

For those not familiar with Lyme, it is very difficult to diagnose because there are many symptoms which affect each person differently.  ....For a long time, doctors and the CDC would not acknowledge Lyme disease, with some doctors believing it did not exist.

And the antibiotics mess with bodily functions, and the joints. You'd be lucky to find a MD around these parts that would even consider testing you for the different strains of the disease. They have a "one shoe fits all test", and that's it...

My buddy "had/has it so bad, but got lucky finding a "back woods" MD that knew his stuff and finally got him on the road to, well recovery. But has to change up drugs every so often so the disease doesn't take over the potency of said antibiotic. He has it the worst I've ever seen personally.

It's not good, I feel for you. :thumbs:  

Edited by zippy1, June 16, 2016 - 11:23 PM.

• jpackard56, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 11:30 PM

Rick:

The government knew they caused it so they did their best to deny it and squash any info about it. Just like global warming. Newsweek had to go through alot of FOI requests to get to the truth.

I'm on Doxycycaline for 3 weeks and was in 99. In 89 and 91, I took Tetracycaline for 6 weeks. The Doxy is sensitive to what you eat. I hope that it works.

A friend who had it real bad, was in the hospitol for a week on an IV drip to fight the Lymes but he was left with permanent damage. The UCONN Medical Center said that the life cycle of the bacteria is about 28 days but like you said it can go dormant for awhile. That was why they recommended 6 weeks of antibiotics. The bacteria are supposedly a close relative of syphalis and the later symptoms including death are similar. It killed our 3 Newfie dogs. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 12:47 AM

Wood ticks have finally reached this far north in Saskatchewan too, and yes, Lyme has been diagnosed as a result. The Drs. here at least believe it exists and look for it. So far I haven't seen any on my side (north) of the Saskatchewan river, but friends on the other side have them. I check the dogs daily, much to their delight....extra attention and a cookie! Since I grew up in northern Ontario where we had ticks,I have known from childhood to put a dab of Vaseline on a tick to smother it and then when it has died simply pull it off. If you don't have the patience, or stomach for that, just pull it off anyway and kill the little bugger.

• KennyP, jpackard56 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 05:57 AM

I live in the South US and grew up pulling multiple little buggers off everyday during the warm months, and I still do. I got Lyme 4 years ago and a 6 week treatment with Antibiotics cleared it up. The Drs down here start the treatment as soon as they suspect Lymes. 3 years ago I got Rocky mountain fever, we caught it 2 days after infection. Boy that was no fun. I started the antibiotics just 2 days after infection and still had a fever and the joints ached bad and I was stiff. That lasted about a week.

• jpackard56, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 09:05 AM

I hope you get to feeling better soon Rick.  Thankfully I have not had to deal with any of these diseases and hope I never will.  Last year when our granddaughter went to Kenya on a college mission trip she did some research on insect repellent and found the Skin so soft was one of the best.  She used it when she went last year and didn't have one issue.  This year she is up in Maine and is using it again so hopefully it will work for her again.  In another thread about way to clean your hands some one mentioned Skin so soft so I have been using it for my hands.  My wife also picked up some extra insect repellent and so far I have found several Ticks on me but no bits.  Sure hope it stays like that!

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks