simplicity engine stalls when pto engaged

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rd65 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83517
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 05:35 PM

hello men of the riding mower...bought a nice looking used simplicity express...it never seemed to run well with the mower engaged....the mower deck made a a rough noise as it operated..sort of wow wow wow wow...but it cut grass well....not when the pto is engaged it kills the motor ...as soon as the pto is engaged it runs so rough the whole mower shakes...the spindles turn freely and there isn't any serous slop in the bearings as I can tell....wonder if I don't have a motor problem when operating under load?....thanks for any info you can advise.....it isn't running so well now either but I was able to get it running at what seemed to be full throttle for a couple of minutes...then as soon as pto is engaged..shake, rattle, and roll again

#2 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,521 Thanks
  • 4,177 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 06:07 PM

Welcome to the forum. Check the easy things first. Make sure you can get 3/16 to 1/4 inch spark out of the plug wire. Is your charging system working. If I'm thinking right, it would be a battery/coil ignition. The PTO draws a lot from the battery and if its too low it won't run right either. Maybe a little fuel system cleaner through the carb. A lot of the guys like seafoam. Post the model numbers of the tractor and engine. It will help us help you better.

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,110 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Normally, I'd say PTO interlock safety switch is your problem.
But, maybe your motor mounts are bad?
Put a pry bar under there and see if there isn't a lot of movement.
Otherwise maybe you have an engine tune up problem.

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 928 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:32 PM

A set of severely out of balance blades will do a ton of damage and make a mower run bad. Or at least feel like it is running poorly. Just something to check, blade balance is a often overlooked problem.

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 01:42 AM

this may sound odd but I bought a machine doing exactly what you say, odd wow wow noise, stalling motor, no power when engaged, I checked the motor, spindles, belts and pulleys, then thought something might be wrapped around the spindle so I flipped over the deck and low and behold theres my problem. the blades were put on upside down, switched them around and it purred like new and as smooth as could be,

Edited by farmer john, June 17, 2016 - 01:42 AM.

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 06:56 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera: