• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 07:10 AM

This may explain, or not.
http://www.latimes.c...snap-story.html

Wow! Just read through that story and I don't agree with any of their reasons for delaying. If I'm entrusting a website with my private information there is NO excuse for not informing me immediately that my information could now be used for malicious purposes, regardless of the potential cost to the website. If you're going to run a website that collects information, that's just a responsibility you have to accept.

Wonder if this has anything to do with me starting to receive all kinds of spam emails the last week or two?

Edited by Canawler, June 17, 2016 - 07:13 AM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,731 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 09:51 AM

It is possible, Jim. Someone got 45 million email addresses from VS, they will get around to them eventually.

Depending on how careful you are with your info, it is possible the spammers got it somewhere else also.

But to not notify everyone immediately is asenine. In this day and age, you can't exactly sweep crap under the rug. You would think a company that owns Internet forums would understand that.

A heartfelt thank you to the mods at MTF that actually spoke up and said WTF when they were notified of this, rather than just sitting around and wringing their hands.
  • MH81, KennyP, tiretrx and 1 other said thanks

#18 Austin ONLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 506 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Let's go ahead and be totally honest here. The data breach occurred in February and they're just getting around to telling you now.

Note to Carbon Media: If that would ever happen to you, go ahead and tell us right away. It might help us keep the members we have.

If it ever happened I would be direct and honest as soon as possible. I don't agree in delaying that sort of information. 

Maybe it already has and we don't know?? :rolling:

Nope, we're solid. Every system has it's exploits though. 

Guys, this is a great reminder to change your passes and not to use the same one for your online activities. I change passes every 30 days and use two step verification requiring my phone whenever possible. If someone tries to log into my account I get notifications of the attempted access.

• shorty, TAHOE and 29 Chev have said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 09:30 AM

what vital information are they going to get from your forum username and password?

I don't see it as such a big deal.  I use this username/password combo at just about every forum I am on.  But I don't use it for anything else.

Now if my online banking password was hacked, or people were trying to log into that I'd be upset.

Heck, About 3 times a year I get emails from ebay saying someone tried to log in on my user name.  I don't even use it that much, and that's another one that I don't use anywhere else.  I have no idea what that one is all about.

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,731 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 09:34 AM

Aaron, the information hacked includes the member's email address. So, at the least, a lot of incoming spam for your filter to go through.
  • MH81 said thank you

#21 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 10:38 AM

Aaron, the information hacked includes the member's email address. So, at the least, a lot of incoming spam for your filter to go through.

I can see that.

I get a bunch of weird ones these days.  Lot's of Russian brides!  I suppose they need love to.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#22 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,314 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 12:37 PM

I've had the same E-mail for years now and the spam keeps a-rolling in..  I just block it and move about my day..  As far as any CC information I use PayPal whenever I can to keep my info out of the transaction..  

As far as any financial information on a cell-phone goes-  No friggin way!  I will never trust anything that is portable and so easily stolen or skimmed as I pass by a stranger in a crowd..  Better safe than sorry..  

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 01:58 PM

I've had the same E-mail for years now and the spam keeps a-rolling in..  I just block it and move about my day..  As far as any CC information I use PayPal whenever I can to keep my info out of the transaction..  

As far as any financial information on a cell-phone goes-  No friggin way!  I will never trust anything that is portable and so easily stolen or skimmed as I pass by a stranger in a crowd..  Better safe than sorry..  

That's exactly right.  I hear so much stuff for this "e-wallet" crap.  Pay with your phone, ect...no freaking way.  I use pay pal online, and I have one of those prepaid credit cards for doing bigger online transactions.

A guy at work left his phone laying on his desk, someone got ahold of it and found he was logged into amazon.  Well they proceeded to order about 50 bucks worth of, umm, inappropriate items and had them shipped to his house.  His credit card was tied to his account and "one click buying" was turned on.  It was quite the gag, and the guy who did it gave him the money for the items he ordered.

That was just a friendly joke, but what if someone found your phone and ordered stuff and it wasn't a gag?  You could have your accounts drained easily.

#24 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 07:45 PM

That's why everyone should have some type of security enabled on their phones be it password, pattern, pin, or on newer phones, finger print unlock.