• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MattViger OFFLINE  

MattViger
  • Member No: 83503
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 10:13 PM

Have a LGT2654. Found out it had a bent pushrod. Got that fixed but now just blows blue smoke for 10 seconds then dies. Blades wont operate, new carb, valve clearance at .006 and clean fuel. any ideas? Seems to be a Briggs problem as have a TORO with same issues. Just no power to start with and no power to turn on the PTO. Called the local husky dealer and they're stumped and don't have the money to throw it in the shop for them to figure it out. Thanks.

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,337 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 04:42 AM

If it had a bent push rod then it may have a bent valve and busted valve guide.I would take both heads off and inspect the valves.Especially the 1 that the bent push rod went to.Pull that valve out and roll it between your fingers.You'll find out real quick if it's bent.If they look ok you might just have bad head gaskets.

Even though Blown head gaskets on a Intek or Vanguard are not common it does happen.I suspect you Might need to track down another head.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:12 AM

run a compression test..like was said above could have a busted guide..or someone could have sprayed it with starter fluid and busted the rings.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#4 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • Member No: 83224
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 03:30 PM

Another possibility is a crack or hole in your piston. if the previous owner did use starter fluid as Mr. Auburn said, that not only damages rings, but can decimate the dome of a piston, crack heads, blow head gaskets, crack a crank or bend a rod. You have to remember that the Kohler/Briggs engine is just the little brother of a big V6 or V8. What happens to them can also happen to the little guys. With the lack of power as you describe along with the blue smoke, I'd say rings and piston damage. Unless you've got oil seepage around the head / block, I wouldn't worry about the gasket even though you'll have to replace it when you pull the engine down. Good Luck.

• Auburn David said thank you