• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 12:53 PM

It's in a holding pattern until I decide for sure how I want to attach the fabric to the frame. Velcro would be nice, but about $40 for the amount i would need. Plus my seamstress is out of town! You don't want me near a sewing machine!

• Sawdust and 29 Chev have said thanks

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 01:06 PM

Seamstress is back! I got the fabric down to width. Got it wrapped around some to see what it would look like!

DSCN1877.JPG

• olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#48 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 02:27 PM

It's in a holding pattern until I decide for sure how I want to attach the fabric to the frame. Velcro would be nice, but about $40 for the amount i would need. Plus my seamstress is out of town! You don't want me near a sewing machine!

Are you afraid you might start to like sewing? :dancingbanana:

You could get your seamstress to sew a strip of the material doubled over about 1" wide onto the inside of the canopy where you are planning to attach it - get them to leave a spot about 1/2" wide every 2" - 3" that is not sewed (to form a very close loop) so that you can tie it to your frame work with light cord, shoelaces or tie wraps.  Mark the area where you want the piece sewn with a pencil or if you don't mind the marks showing a marker. 

• KennyP and Paulgo have said thanks

#49 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 03:11 PM

Are you afraid you might start to like sewing? :dancingbanana:

You could get your seamstress to sew a strip of the material doubled over about 1" wide onto the inside of the canopy where you are planning to attach it - get them to leave a spot about 1/2" wide every 2" - 3" that is not sewed (to form a very close loop) so that you can tie it to your frame work with light cord, shoelaces or tie wraps.  Mark the area where you want the piece sewn with a pencil or if you don't mind the marks showing a marker. 

It works faster than my feeble mind can keep up with! I'd start out flat and have all 4 corners sewn together in 2 minutes. I don't want a parachute!

That sounds good too! Options, options. Which way do I go now?

• olcowhand and 29 Chev have said thanks

#50 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 03:23 PM

"It works faster than my feeble mind can keep up with! I'd start out flat and have all 4 corners sewn together in 2 minutes."

I doubt that - I also had the same problem with the machine going faster than my brain and hands could keep up to.  I got a new motor for the machine that allows me to control the speed down to about a stitch a second which is about my speed at the best of times and when I do corners I usually just turn the wheel by hand.

Perhaps your seamstress has some good ideas that may assist you in attaching the material without breaking the bank. 

• KennyP said thank you

#51 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 04:14 PM

Gonna have to check out the sewing Dept. at Wally World and Hobby Lobby. Might find something there that will work cheaply.

#52 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 07:18 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...zoAAOSwOVpXZdiH

Yours looks as good if not better, might want to make some more, undercut him by 5 or 6 grand and still make some coin
  • MH81, KennyP, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#53 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 165 Thanks
  • 134 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 07:34 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...zoAAOSwOVpXZdiH

Yours looks as good if not better, might want to make some more, undercut him by 5 or 6 grand and still make some coin

^Yeah- well the shipping IS free!  :D

• KennyP said thank you

#54 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 09:21 AM

You could fold the edges over on themselves with a length of light rope trapped in the fold the way a kite is made - you can glue or sew the material to itself.  Then use tie wraps, mechanics wire or shoe lace to tie it on - the trapped rope will give the material strength so that it doesn't rip or tear - just another suggestion. 

• KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#55 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 09:43 AM

You could fold the edges over on themselves with a length of light rope trapped in the fold the way a kite is made - you can glue or sew the material to itself.  Then use tie wraps, mechanics wire or shoe lace to tie it on - the trapped rope will give the material strength so that it doesn't rip or tear - just another suggestion. 

Been thinking that may be the way to go. It would be the simplest solution. May have to add something to tie to on the frame, but that's not hard to do.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#56 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 09:49 AM

You could even use some small spring loaded clamps like these if you want to be able to remove it easily - you could probably pick some up at the dollar store fairly reasonable.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10 Pleated Section Of Cover Stuck In Place.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, June 26, 2016 - 09:49 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#57 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:37 AM

You could even use some small spring loaded clamps like these if you want to be able to remove it easily - you could probably pick some up at the dollar store fairly reasonable.

I could use some of those right now to temp it on.

#58 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 11:27 AM

I haven't posted this anywhere as I wanted to see if it would work. This is an add-on for Alice, my 718H Modified tractor. I got a yard swing with a canopy, but the cover was long gone. I got to looking at that frame and thought why not a GT canopy. After a little work, I had a GT sized frame. Next was building something to hold it up there. It gets quite hot down here during the summer and I thought a little shade would be nice. No skyhooks available to keep a cloud over me & Alice. So I got to work.

I knew I would be taking Alice apart soon for some other needed items. So I made a frame from some 1"X1" square tube laying about. I may have gotten it a bit tall, but that can be changed. I wanted it high enough so folks didn't have to bend over to much to get on Alice.

Anyways, here is where I am at the moment. I have a piece of white rubberized tarp I plan to make the cover out of.

Alice is apart right now for the fixes. As soon a She is back together, I have the frame mounted and we can all have a look-see.

I'm a little late to the party, but it looks like you've got a good thing going there.  However, I'm lusting over the tractors I saw in background, LOL.

One consideration on height--the lower the canopy is, the more shade will be over you and Alice, and less cast off to the side--especially in late afternoons or early morning when the sun is low to the horizon.

On attaching it... why not put grommets in the edge hem, leaving the hem long enough to wrap around the frame, then run the bungees side to side like an old rope mattress support. You can even buy just the bungee material and "shoe lace" it together...

JMTBW

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 26, 2016 - 11:43 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#59 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 11:46 AM

^Yeah- well the shipping IS free!  :D

Geez!!!  That reminds me of the story of the guy selling apples for $10,000 each during the Depression.  When told how unlikely it was for him to get any buyers he replied,

"All I gotta do is just sell one of them!"

Smitty

• KennyP and MolonLabe have said thanks

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 07:33 AM

I ordered 16 of the 4" clamps like your pic. Hope to have them early next week.

• Sawdust said thank you