• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 02:44 PM

I thought about the silver tarps as they are a bit heavier. But, I kind of like something White to go with Alice better. I'm not so worried about a bit of wiggle in it. Most of what it has is front to back anyway. Nothing sideways. I'll come up with the solution I can live with. These posts are giving me more ideas.

#32 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 178 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Looking good. If there is too much flex in it, it seems like you could add two more square metal inserts (one on each side) behind the current supports and strengthen it quite a bit with minimal visual clutter.

Attached Thumbnails

• canopy 1.jpg

Edited by dualresponse1731, June 17, 2016 - 07:39 PM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and Paulgo have said thanks

#33 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 09:57 PM

You could use something like Agfabric brand sun blocking cloth mesh. Comes in different percentages of sun blocking and lets the air circulate through. It would reduce wind loading as well. https://www.amazon.c...nscreen Netting

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#34 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 05:33 AM

You could use something like Agfabric brand sun blocking cloth mesh. Comes in different percentages of sun blocking and lets the air circulate through. It would reduce wind loading as well. https://www.amazon.c...nscreen Netting

I think I have some of that stuff. Wonder if I could paint it white with vinyl paint?

#35 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 359 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 02:01 PM

This is something that I have thought about doing & there are some very good ideas here. If you do not have a plan on attaching the material that you use for the cover, this is one of my thoughts on doing this. As I have not done this I will show the parts to used that may explain it.

Canapy 1.jpg

Use the large grommet kit. These can usually found at camping supply stores.

https://www.campmor....-(1-2-in)-21700

Canapy 2.jpg

This shows some of the different sizes.

Canapy 4.jpg

What ever type of material you decide to use fold it so grommet goes 2 parts of the material. I have used these nylon / plastic like tarps & even vinyl. When using this type of material use a heat source to melt the hole for the grommet (soldering iron or steel rod with torch).

Canapy 3.jpg

Use small bungee cords to attached to the frame. May need small holes for the hooks & the bungee cord could be wrapped more than once going through the grommet.

Doing it this way the cover material could easily be removed for storage / cleaning &  some areas could be opened up with the material folded back & reattached with the bungees. 

Charlie

• Alc, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#36 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 02:32 PM

This is something that I have thought about doing & there are some very good ideas here. If you do not have a plan on attaching the material that you use for the cover, this is one of my thoughts on doing this. As I have not done this I will show the parts to used that may explain it.

attachicon.gifCanapy 1.jpg

Use the large grommet kit. These can usually found at camping supply stores.

https://www.campmor....-(1-2-in)-21700

attachicon.gifCanapy 2.jpg

This shows some of the different sizes.

attachicon.gifCanapy 4.jpg

What ever type of material you decide to use fold it so grommet goes 2 parts of the material. I have used these nylon / plastic like tarps & even vinyl. When using this type of material use a heat source to melt the hole for the grommet (soldering iron or steel rod with torch).

attachicon.gifCanapy 3.jpg

Use small bungee cords to attached to the frame. May need small holes for the hooks & the bungee cord could be wrapped more than once going through the grommet.

Doing it this way the cover material could easily be removed for storage / cleaning &  some areas could be opened up with the material folded back & reattached with the bungees. 

Charlie

That is an idea I had thought about. Finding the right material is first on my list right now.  I can cut a section out of what I have, but I'll waste a bunch doing that. Here's what I have. Looks to be part of a cover off a grain truck or similar.

DSCN1854.JPG

• Sawdust and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#37 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 08:22 AM

I may have just found some material! It's in the washer right now to see how it cleans up!

• olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#38 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Here is is! It's a hospital curtain like they use between beds. Heavy linen. Has a few stains.

DSCN1870.JPG     DSCN1871.JPG

• Sawdust, 29 Chev and dualresponse1731 have said thanks

#39 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Here is is! It's a hospital curtain like they use between beds. Heavy linen. Has a few stains.

attachicon.gifDSCN1870.JPG    attachicon.gifDSCN1871.JPG

Good idea - I hope some poor patient isn't missing out on their privacy.  Is it hydraulic oil proof or did you get that problem fixed? :rolling:

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#40 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Good idea - I hope some poor patient isn't missing out on their privacy.  Is it hydraulic oil proof or did you get that problem fixed? :rolling:

LOL! I'm just thinking on the best way to attach it. Be nice to have it removable to get the oil out. Course, it would help with waterproofing it.

• Sawdust and 29 Chev have said thanks

#41 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:04 PM

You could glue, sew, rivet or staple strips of Velcro to it and the top of your framework  - something like contact cement or weatherstrip adhesive should stick them fairly well if the surfaces are clean and dry.  The curtain should be similar in material to some of the late 1960's headliner material used in cars and the weatherstrip adhesive sticks to that material ok.  The Velcro should hold it and that way it would be easy to remove.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#42 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:30 PM

You could glue, sew, rivet or staple strips of Velcro to it and the top of your framework  - something like contact cement or weatherstrip adhesive should stick them fairly well if the surfaces are clean and dry.  The curtain should be similar in material to some of the late 1960's headliner material used in cars and the weatherstrip adhesive sticks to that material ok.  The Velcro should hold it and that way it would be easy to remove.

I was leaning that way. Just wondering how to stick it to the metal frame.

#43 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:36 PM

I was leaning that way. Just wondering how to stick it to the metal frame.

The weatherstrip adhesive should stick the Velcro to bare steel or cured paint - if it is fresh paint let the paint cure or outline mask blocks where you want the Velcro and use some paint thinner on the unmasked area to remove the fresh paint and see if it will come off - if it does not react or come off with the paint thinner then the weatherstrip adhesive should stick to it ok - if it does come off you have bare steel to work with.

• KennyP said thank you

#44 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 05:03 AM

The weatherstrip adhesive should stick the Velcro to bare steel or cured paint - if it is fresh paint let the paint cure or outline mask blocks where you want the Velcro and use some paint thinner on the unmasked area to remove the fresh paint and see if it will come off - if it does not react or come off with the paint thinner then the weatherstrip adhesive should stick to it ok - if it does come off you have bare steel to work with.

Sounds good! Paint should be cured by the time I get the Velcro.

• Sawdust said thank you

#45 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 10:36 AM

I've been chomping at the bit to read this project & waited until I could sit down in front of my desk top to enjoy the pics at their best. I like this idea. The vinyl paint I used from Dupli-Color is for fabric also that might be a good option if you need to get more white to hide the stains.

Another idea I had but might be more appropriate for parades or shows would be stripes like the old canvases over windows back in the day. You could let a little flap hang down in the front...a lot of work but would be an eye catcher for sure. 

Imagine this being orange & white :dancingbanana:

DSCN0683.jpg

• KennyP, MolonLabe, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks