Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Glad to see you are using a soft material for the cover.  Got a friend that found a deal on a polished aluminum tread plate sheet.  He put that on his Kubota and it was so loud you couldn't stand to sit on there.   Being a diesel made it unbearable.

• KennyP, Sawdust and dualresponse1731 have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 05:05 AM

It will be up there a bit. My initial thought was high enough to not be in the way getting on or off. That may help with exhaust fumes. And I wanted something white to reflect heat and go with the AC Orange. I hope to have the frame on this afternoon. I'll get Steve to take a pic with me on there so you can see the head room. Yes, I will have to watch for low hanging items, but I don't mow with Alice. And it will be easy to remove if needed.

• Sawdust and Paulgo have said thanks

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 07:05 AM

I have a long 445 diesel tractor and the exhaust is the same way, straight up and about 3' in front of the drivers seat.  I put a canopy on there to bush hog fields so I didn't get burned to death by the sun,  the fumes were so bad I had to re-route the exhaust down and under to get away from the problem.   Hope this works out for you as I want to do something for allis when I run the sickle mower.

Pete

I had that same situation with an old IH400 with a umbrella when making hay.  I put a 3' piece of round down spout over the muffler outlet and took care of the problem.  Simple, temporary and cheap and it works. 

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:27 AM

I'd rather have a "can-o-pee" over the bed than under it!

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#20 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 03:39 PM

Does your wife know u are using her clothes rack to paint stuff? Maybe one of those golf cart style tops would work out good.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 05:28 PM

Does your wife know u are using her clothes rack to paint stuff? Maybe one of those golf cart style tops would work out good.

I'm single! And I don't hang out at golf courses. But it's close to one of those!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#22 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Sure looks like a great idea to me! Beats having to wear long sleeves and a sombrero when you're running the tractor. :thumbs:

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 04:59 AM

Had a delay come up yesterday. Valve mount was off just a bit. Should have it back together by this afternoon and pics of the canopy sans cover later on.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 10:42 AM

Alice is all back together and working great. I installed the frame so you folks could see what I have so far. It does shake some, but I really don't see any way to tie the front to anything.

DSCN1851.JPG     DSCN1852.JPG

DSCN1853.JPG

Now to get the tarp out and pick a section from it.

• TomLGT195, Sawdust, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Well, gotta look for other material for the cover. My rubberized canvas is ugly, has small holes in the wrong places, etc. On to option 1. I can get a painters tarp (canvas) in 4' X 15'. Get a can of Flex Seal White and spray it. Option 2. Anybody got any other ideas? I need 3' X 4' to cover the frame!

#26 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 12:30 PM

A canvas dropcloth painted white should be fine. I base that on my redneck movie theater. The short version is I stapled a cheap Harbor Freight 9x12 canvas drop cloth to a 2x4 frame, painted it with Kilz, stood it up in the backyard and showed movies outside in the summer when the boys were little. It lasted over five years outside before crapping out and I only painted the movie side. It was a pain in the rear to pain the drop cloth but I suspect if you painted both,sides of yours it would do just fine for a long time. I don't see a need for flex seal on it.

By the way, nice work. Have fun with it.

#27 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 12:56 PM

You could use something like this - http://www.sailrite....3-000-Canvas-54 Other options might be the remains of an old car cover, a tent ground mat, a rubber sheet for a mattress, shower curtain, material from a tent repair place, webbing made for lawn chairs interlaced across the top, an old barbecue cover, hammock, or if you have any marine places near you they may have an old boat top, canvas for an older combine or swather pickup - just suggestions.  You might even find a piece of carpet out of a station wagon or trunk floor at an auto wreckers that might work at very low cost.

• KennyP, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 01:22 PM

Those are good options.

#29 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 01:35 PM

Heavy duty screen like they use for laniaes in FL could work well. You can get it in a black color that blocks the sun pretty well but still allows air to pass. Also I would suggest a brace coming off the forward leaning part of the frame at 90 deg going up to the back portion of the top. That would stiffen it up quite a bit. Triangulation.

• KennyP said thank you

#30 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,077 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hi Kenny when I made the canopy's for my tractors I used 1" sq tubing and a tarp to keep the sun off me.I just screwed the tarp to the frame.Mine were all removable in a matter of minutes. The MF 1655 had 2 upright poles that slipped into brackets that where bolted onto the 3 pth pivot points and the top frame [shade part] slipped onto the uprights. On the 2 scuts the roll bar was where the sun shade slipped onto.These were easier and only take a few seconds to remove and install. I've never had a problem or worried about them when it was windy out. I do remove them when trailering the tractor.

Anything to keep you shaded is a bonus good job on the build.

Attached Thumbnails

• sun shade 007 (Small).jpg
  • sun shade 006 (Small).jpg
  • sun shade 008 (Small).jpg
  • sun shade 004 (Small).jpg
  • sun shade 003 (Small).jpg
  • Garden work 003 (Small).jpg