#1 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Well I posted that I have started the restoration of a 1070 mf 10 and was wondering right away why the motor was white in color. After looking at it, the number is
H120120204F ser 9130E. is it possible that this motor was factory or perhapes a rebuilt transplant and can anyone tell me the year of the motor? After I rebuilt the carb. it came to life and runs great. The tractor sat outside without running for about four years as best I can find out.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0045.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Are you sure it is an HH12 and not an HH120? If it is a HH120 they were factory on the MF12's. I would say someone replaced the engine themselves at some point in time as the dealer would have replaced it with the same HH100 if it was warranty work. That isn't to say a dealer didn't do the work if a customer wanted a HH120 put in though.

#3 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:32 AM

I'm sure your right it is an HH120. but I think if it where dealer installed it would be factory color. Like I said it runs great with one little puff of smoke when I fire it up and then none. So I'll just assme that someone rebuilt an HH120 and but it in this MF10 becouse of the white color. So I think I will just repaint it factory and let it stay in the rebuild, any ideas on the year of the motor?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'd say it's pretty close to period. Someone else may be more accurate, but in the 80s they went to aluminum block. The starter is right too (from what I can see). I was thinking it was out of a Sears with that color, but not with those numbers... Who else used techumseh and white paint? :anyone:
  • greencoach47 said thank you

#5 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 12:35 PM

If you look online at the AgCo parts book for the MF10 you will see that they used a few different Tecumseh HH100 engine models, but interestingly they show that the HH120 was also offered as a 'factory' repair/replacement. The parts sheets for each engine give the actual model numbers that were used at the top of each engine's parts list. You can easily check to see if the 120204F was one of the models listed as a 'factory' option.

The serial number first digit is the year of manufacture and the second three digits are the day. The final letter is the assembly line. So it is easy enough to know that it was made on Assembly line E on 10 May, but in which year? - it has to be either 1969 or 1979. My guess is the latter (since it runs so well!), in which case it has most probably been installed as a 'non-factory' replacement.

George.

#6 NYMalloys OFFLINE  

NYMalloys

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 126
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 03:47 PM

Dealers did replace the HH100 with HH120's in the '70s after the MF10 was discontinued. They were still selling MF-12G tractors so the HH-120 was a bolt-in replacement from dealer stock. Basically you ended up with an MF12G. Though, based on the color of yours, I don't think it was a Massey dealer replacement, it could have come out of something by Ariens.

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Most likely someone in yrs gone by has replaced the original with another HH engine out of another tractor of a different make.
HH engines have the intake and exhaust ports 90 deg apart for one another, the HM, aluminum block engines have the 2 ports pointing the same direction right beside one another.