• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 10:39 PM

I am working on a few '70's Cubs at once.... a 129, (2) 1200's, and a 1250. 2 are mine, 2 aren't.

all have sat for a while.  Got spark on all,  and am at the point of going thru the fuel systems.

I am noticing some different things about the carbs. All are #26 carbs. No Walbro's among the pile.  I have the one from the 129 off and freshly overhauled, ready for action. I also (thought I had) another good fresh #26 ready to go/

What is the "shelf life" of the OEM Kohler needle and seat kits for these carbs?  stored in the original factory sealed package.

How many variations of the #26 are there?   I was gonna use the freshly cleaned and rebuilt one from the 129 onto a 1200.  Got it running, adjusted out and running awesome, the carb that came from this machine was nasty green inside and stunk, I was a little afraid of how easy it might come apart /.and how well it would clean up. I went thru this carb 6-7 years ago for its owner.... but it has been sitting with old gas in it for at least 2 years recently though....

figured I'd play a game of "musical carburetors"  among the tractors, as I get to each machine, I didn't even make 1 round, and got tripped up.

I have the 129's carb all clean and redone,  plus 1 other #26 also all clean and (I thought) ready for service. did these over the winter and even had the bodies bushed for the throttle shaft while apart.... new throttle shafts, too.

I tried this "extra" carb on the 1200 1st, and even though it was well boiled, ( I couldn't get the main nozzle out to verify 100% clean, and didn't want to strip any threads though)

to start off with, it ran fine all the way thru the speed range but the idle mixture screw? Did not matter where it was set, as long as it wasn't all the way out in my fingers, it ran the same at idle. Even seated.  Shut the engine off and gas runs out the mouth of the carb within 30 seconds if I don't shut the gas off at the tank right away. I tried 3 different brand new, OEM Kohler needle and seat kits in this carb, and 3 different floats, these a mix of OEM new and used (none seemed heavy or taking on gas) and same story.

I swapped parts, adjusted float and same story. again and again,  did not even fire it up after the 2nd time, or bolt it on... hooked up gas line, hold it in place against the engine and level, turn shut-off valve on,  and listen to the air gurgle its way out, and then watch the gas follow.

So, on went my #129's carb. Ran even better at idle and adjusted out better on both ends of the RPM range, too. No leakage. and I put 1 of the 3 needle and seats that I tried on the "extra" carb and one of the floats that I tried in that carb into the 129 carb and 1st try, 1st combo of  parts that I tried in the extra carb, put into the 129carb/ all OEM replaceents.. No leaks, runs awesome.

Until I tried to install the air cleaner. No go/ the "extra" carb,  and the 129 carb,  have 3 holes at the choke end for air cleaner attachment, as the air cleaner base does. This tractor has the big oval air cleaner that has the rubber tube that goes into the shroud. the green stinky carb off the 1200, has 5 threaded holes and it uses the top and the 2 lower holes, not the ones that are straight across the center of the carb throat in line with the choke shaft. ... the 3 holes it needs to mount, are 120* apart....

at least I know the 129 carb is "tested and ready".... gonna have to clean the 1200's original carb and hope for the best because of the air cleaner mount screws....the 129 takes the regular round air cleaner base that is held on by 2 screws in line with the choke shaft.

but I cannot figure out why I cannot get the 1st carb that I tried on this engine to stop leaking... with all the new parts I put thru it, some of which went into the 129's carb and had no problems with those same parts working fine in this other carb body. I cannot see any cracks in it, the needle and seat threads are good/not stripped.... about to write that one off, at least it is/was just a spare...

and this is definitely NOT my 1st rodeo with these types of carbs, that came about 30 years ago...

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 07:00 AM

Did you try a different float on that carb? Does it have a pin hole?

• Trav1s and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 12:41 PM

Yeah! Like 3 different floats. And one of those is currently in the carb off my 129 and that carb is on there now and not leaking. That makes me think that there is something wrong with the carb body itself on the other one yet I can't seem to see anything on it.

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 08:47 PM

ok more madness..... I soaked the nasty green carb, the original one from the 1200, and it came out alot better than I thought it might.... heck, the brass main nozzle even unscrewed right out. none of the others I have here have done that... wound up leaving them in, for fear of damaging either the casting or the nozzle in the others, cuz they would not budge. ...

But, I put one of the brand new needle and seats that leaked in my "spare"/extra" carb and one of the floats that wouldn't stop the flow in that carb, into this 1200 carb and guess what... runs fine, no leakage when shut off..... so that verifies the problem isnt the needle. seat or float. just like I did with the 1st needle and seat and float that I tried in the "extra" carb, those parts are in the 129's carb with no issues. looked again for a casting defect in the leaker and came up empty--again....  so I drained my 129 carb so it doesn't go bad while that maachine waits its turn to come into the garage, at least I know that one's ready to go and is a good carb.... if the oval style carb base mounting bolts would have lined up, I'd have left the 129's carb on there and put the 1200's carb onto the 129, when ever I finally get to that machine.

#5 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 08:57 PM

Sounds like a casting issue with that carb

Has to be a hole or something weird near the needle seat or leaking past the threads

• dodge trucker said thank you

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 09:57 PM

Sounds like a casting issue with that carb

Has to be a hole or something weird near the needle seat or leaking past the threads

yeah that's what I am afraid of....

#7 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 04:33 PM

Could try  mild Loctite or similar  on the seat threads, something gas won't eat 

Almost worth a try since the carb sounds like its almost time to  junk

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 05:20 PM

that is weird though because those threads aren't stripped at all, the seat tightens up fine in the carb body.

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 06:33 PM

Aren't #26 carbs a dime a dozen?

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Are they? Seems like they used to be but not lately

Edited by dodge trucker, June 16, 2016 - 06:36 PM.