• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thompson1600 OFFLINE  

thompson1600

• Member No: 2490
  • 2 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 10:45 PM

having some issues with the GT245 hydro. It's a Tuff Torq K71B. Fluid levels are good, use JD fluids.

The tranny has a whine that gets louder as you go faster. It seems to have good power going forward. Today it went up a good hill and spun the tire, never stopping, just pulling itself up.

However, in reverse; it will sometimes slip. Make a clicking sound, or a ticking sound. If you move slightly forward, then back into reverse it will usually work just fine. When backing up long distances, you can notice it occasionally slips also.

What do you think it could be? Could it be the pulley on the input shaft is getting stripped? Any other ideas?

Thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 05:19 AM

I'm not familiar with that hydro unit. I would check the axles to make sure that the key isn't stripped. Make sure the linkage from the pedal to the hydro is tight as well. Also check the mounts. If the whole thing is moving it may effect belt tension. It could be something inside the tranny but I'd try to eliminate all external causes first.

#3 Aussiedog OFFLINE  

Aussiedog

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3089
  • 56 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 01:25 AM

It might be your transmission drive belt pulley starting to strip and go out. The pulley metal is softer than the shaft and is known to strip out. When mine went out it, it went out quickly and made a loud screeching noise. I could barely move forward or backwards, especially on grades. I replaced the pulley (a $20 John Deere part) and also changed my transmission fluid as long as I had the unit out. Tuff Torq recommends changing from the original factory 10/30w oil to Castrol Synthetic 5/50w. Mine works like brand new now.

Contact Tuff Torq Tech Rep. Derrick Dalton. He is very helpful and may be able to help you pinpoint the cause of your problem for your particular model transmission. Good luck!

Derrick Dalton
Tuff Torq Corporation
After Market Services
6041 Hunter Road
Talbott,TN 37877
ddalton@tufftorq.com
Phone 423-585-1977
Fax 423-317-2312
Toll Free 866-572-3441

Tuff Torq Trouble Shooting Flow Chart
https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/Troubleshooting/Diagnostic_Flowchart_EN_23DEC08.pdf

Company Website
www.tufftorq.com

Edited by Aussiedog, May 31, 2011 - 01:40 AM.