Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking of reupholstering my seat as it's........

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • Member No: 82189
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:01 AM

starting to split along a few of the "seams". Actually, instead of reupholstering, I think it would be wiser to build a new one from scratch, using some good (marine) plywood for the bases, a good quality hunk of foam rubber, (perhaps a bit thicker on the bottom cushion ) , and lastly,  the red and white material. Any suggestions as where to obtain the "correct" material so that it will look as close to original as possible? I'd probably go with a heavy duty vinyl  material or even leather if I could find a way to preserve it from the  elements. Ideas? Suggestions? Know a good upholsterer? Thanks, Paul

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:14 AM

One of our members is experimenting with reproducing seat covers. Try our sponsors for what they have. What brand and model of tractor is it? I'm thinking of learning to do it myself in the winter. Good Luck, Rick

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:52 AM

Depending on the design you may be able to repair and recover what you have or use it as a pattern to make a new one.  If you want to post some pictures of what you have it may give us a better understanding of what you are up against.   You could check out this thread I did on a Bolens tractor seat as it may motivate you to tackle the project yourself or give you some ideas http://gardentractor...a-lawn-tractor/ .  

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 10:52 AM

Al's upholstery in Exeter on Rt3 can do it. He does classic cars, marine, etc.

#5 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Wow! 29 Chev, I am in awe of  your sewing and layout abilities. Fantastic work! Even though I DIY almost everything that I get involved with, If I don't have the correct tools (heavy duty sewing machine) and the cost of said tools is too high, to me it makes more sense to let a pro do it.The first upholsterer /  restorer that I brought my Massey Ferguson MF-12 seat to , gave me a price of $250.00 and that was just to restitch and replace one small piece of black vinyl on the seat cushon . Soon after, I  found another upholsterer guy that did the same exact job for $35.00. I will be bringing my seat "parts" to him to sew up the bush hog seat. Titus, do you have any idea if the guy in Exeter is reasonably priced? If he does antique cars and more high end stuff (restoration work) , he will probably be too expensive for me. I'll take a few pics of the seat to show you what it looks like. I'ts actually in pretty good condition considering it's age. Thank you, Paul

• 29 Chev said thank you

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 08:52 AM

He has fair pricing for small jobs from what I'm told. 

#7 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Must be losing my mind, I thought that I already posted these pics of the seat a few days ago. Maybe I forgot to click "add reply" after I clicked "preview post" . Oh well, the joys of getting old! Where would I go to get this type of material in the event that the upholsterer doesn't know? A fabric store or a marine supply store, I have no idea? 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0359.JPG
  • DSC_0360.JPG
  • DSC_0361.JPG
  • DSC_0362.JPG
  • DSC_0363.JPG
  • DSC_0364.JPG
  • DSC_0365.JPG
  • DSC_0366.JPG
  • DSC_0367.JPG
  • DSC_0368.JPG
  • DSC_0369.JPG

• 29 Chev said thank you

#8 hargett5@crosstelco.com OFFLINE  

hargett5@crosstelco.com
  • Member No: 84299
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 04:28 PM

What is the color of the original seat?

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 09:17 PM

Red top with white sides and white piping

#10 hargett5@crosstelco.com OFFLINE  

hargett5@crosstelco.com
  • Member No: 84299
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 07:43 PM

Just got a D4-10 last week.  I would appreciate any info you have.  What weight grease is used in rear end and transmission?????

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 01:47 PM

80-90 weight gear oil

#12 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:58 AM

80-90 weight gear oil

On the seats? ;)

• sacsr said thank you

#13 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 10:22 AM

Must be losing my mind, I thought that I already posted these pics of the seat a few days ago. Maybe I forgot to click "add reply" after I clicked "preview post" . Oh well, the joys of getting old! Where would I go to get this type of material in the event that the upholsterer doesn't know? A fabric store or a marine supply store, I have no idea? 

I would suggest getting a good quality vinyl material such as used on ATV or snowmobiles that is rated for cold weather use - some of the less expensive vinyls may crack or rip easily in colder weather and may not stand up well to sunlight exposure.  I would also suggest getting new padding as well judging by the pictures - you may not see the padding but it will affect how the cover fits and looks as well as how comfortable the seat is.  A good upholstery shop should be able to come up with a close match as far as quality and colour go.