grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the pics Jehtro. Your tractor looks be in overall good condition. Sounds like you made a great buy. Enjoy your "new" Bolens.

#17 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 08:40 AM

So finally got a chance to tear into my Bolens last night,

I'm so unimpressed with the abuse and cheap repairs the previous owner did to this tractor.:deadhorse:
Its such a cool machine, but to treat it this way is just wrong. Wrong bolts, mismatched, misc. junk used, its like whatever they guy had in the bottom of the toolbox was fine.

They bent the tin work so they could shorten the starter feed wire. I guess a new eye end was cheaper then a new wire.
Theres an automotive fuel filter jammed in also,

IMG00006-20110726-2155.jpg
So one has played wtih the wiring, starting circuit has been modified, hard to see in this pic:
IMG00004-20110726-2153.jpg
Brake safey switch disconnected, found it wrapped around the hydro unit,
IMG00002-20110726-2152.jpg
The hood teather broke, and someone let the hood floop way to far, bent that.
IMG00005-20110726-2153.jpg
I don't think I can restore this tractor to orginal state as wife is due to go back to school in the fall. Money will be tight, But I'm going to try and get it mechincally sound again. I can't do any worse, but it does run and the hydro works, so here I go.

I'm just so impressed with these machines. I wish North American manufacturing would return and produce product like this. I would pay more for "Made in USA" or "Made in Canada". This tractor has been abused for 30+ years and still working over all. Like to see one of those offshore home depot jobs do that.

:canada:

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:05 AM

I know the feeling :(
Over the years I have seen quite a few "interesting" repairs made by the previous owners.
One repair I really got a chuckle out of was there was a leak in a gas tank and to fix it the guy wrapped the whole tank in duct tape :wallbanging:

These Bolens will last forever if taken care of. Keep us updated on your project

#19 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 12:43 AM

Congrats on the new bolens!! :)

#20 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 04:42 AM

Yes,some people do some strange repairs.

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 05:39 AM

That tractor is certainly restorable and will give many years of service. It's pretty common for owners to make the cheapest repair possible using whatever means they have at hand regardless of the damage they do. They consider an older tractor to be worthless and won't spend any money on repairs.
I recently got a 314. A PO had repaired a broken motor mount (one of those diamond shaped rubber mounts) by taking the center section of the mount and welding it under the frame. They then put a washer on top of the mount to make up for the lost height. You can imagine what happened to a rubber mount that was welded. It melted and the whole thing was not working allowing the motor to vibrate badly. The long term result of all the vibration was to wear out the coupler for the driveshaft at the engine and damage to the one on the hydro. To repair all this mess cost me over 100$ and a lot of labor to carefully remove the weld from the frame to properly install a new mount.
It makes it much harder and more expensive to refit or restore an older GT when it has been abused in this way. I'll be a bit more careful when I buy my next tractor for sure.

#22 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:17 AM

Ok, new to the whole restoration process,

Can I just hit this tractor with a degreaser and take the hose to it?

Are there any sensitive areas ? I know the wiring etc,, but like the hydro could use a bath, some of the fins are clogged up , I know thats not too good,

#23 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:54 AM

i like the duck tape tank idea, but if it was a metal tank i make it look half way classy, i use aluminum tape =)

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 10:15 AM

Before you go at it with a hose make sure water can't get anywhere it shouldn't like in through a vent in the hydro for instance. I know some people use a pressure washer to help remove the crud. That mixture of oil, grease, dirt and grass clippings can be a misery to remove.

#25 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 04:07 PM

Before you go at it with a hose make sure water can't get anywhere it shouldn't like in through a vent in the hydro for instance. I know some people use a pressure washer to help remove the crud. That mixture of oil, grease, dirt and grass clippings can be a misery to remove.

:ditto:

I use either "Awesome" or "purple power" degreaser then take the pressure washer to it.
As long as all the parts not meant to get wet are sealed up you should be good to go

#26 Jehtro ONLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Is there a vent on the hydro somewhere? Is it a tube or something? Like a differential?

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 03:03 PM

I'm not a Bolens guy but there is usually a vent somewhere in the system. It may be in the filler cap or if there is a gauge it may be there. It can even be a small hole in a fitting and very hard to see or simply an open tube or one with a filter on the end. It will be at the top of the unit so that it vents air pressure and not liquid. Hopefully a Bolens expert will come in and tell you where to look.

#28 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 05:20 PM

The breather is # 53

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

#29 Jehtro ONLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 08:21 AM

Okay, I know this is not orginal , but I couldn't stand the coolers light paint job on it. They painted the rocky mountains on the breather. Took me a few days to put it all together, the silver with the red, etc,

Anyway, I've got the wiring fixed, Added an extra switch for the ignition kill because my new switch doesn't have a post to ground.. Also added a switch for a reverse light. The wiring diagrams from this site were a big help. Hoping to blow snow with this machine in a few months.
IMG00032-20110829-0759.jpg

So here it is now, parts starting to go back on. I know the paint is not the right color, but at least I can look at it now, and it stops the rust.
IMG00031-20110829-0758.jpg

I figure if I can get this machine operational again, stop the rust, I'll do a proper restore in a few years. When I have more time and money.

#30 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 12:31 PM

Nice Job, It definitely looks better than the previous colors that were on it