#16 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 09:42 PM

That looks like an L model.  That was the biggest Gleaner Allis made back then.  I can understand why the ole Chevy had it's hands full.

Yup, that was a L, we had a heck of a time loading the old thing, that was a bloody big combine, our old pickup has a 292 inline 6 in it, it pulls good but it doesn't always pull it fast.

• Alc said thank you

#17 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 10:06 PM

I am not sure if its my laptops bad speaker or not, but it sounds to me like there is a dog type clutch slipping on it somewhere.  It is really noticeable when it shuts down.  It just doesn't sound right to me.  I have never been around a 95 JD.  We had a Case 800 and 600 when I was a kid.  A neighbor had a 105 JD back then.  I would find some books or a knowledgeable person to help you get it set up for your crops.  You will need to know what cylinder speed and what fan speed you need to run.  You will also need to adjust your reel height and speed for your crop but they are in field adjustments.  We updated back in 96 to much newer machinery and dad sold the equipment off 2 years ago. Here's a video of our IH we got rid of.  I wish it was still here some days but oh well.

You nailed it, my brother and I were talking that something doesn't sound right???. We goofed with it today and realized that one of the gears on the right hand side is slipping. It is the gear that runs (not sure what you call it) the conveyor after the separator and before the straw walkers. That conveyor is completely covered with pack rat nest which consist of sticks, small pieces of wood, small pieces of material, lots of insulation and lots of other junk. We took a electric fence post and moved a lot of the junk around pulling out what we could but it is still stuck. I will get out the big shop vac tomorrow and go at it. However, I believe our pack rat problem is fixed, inside the combine we found a very large rat that got tangled in the straw walkers. I'm glad we got rid of him, I believe the rat came with the combine.

Nice International by the way, I was wanting to buy a International 503, it was at an auction about 4 miles away, the old thing ran perfect with no issues and it sold for $750, the problem was I only had $600, I bid up to $700 but I had to stop. The guy I was bidding against has the local rock quarry and money isn't much of an issue for him :(

I added a picture of the gear that is slipping

Attached Thumbnails

• Combine 95 Clutch 010.jpg

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#18 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 07:41 AM

I would find some books or a knowledgeable person to help you get it set up for your crops.  You will need to know what cylinder speed and what fan speed you need to run.  You will also need to adjust your reel height and speed for your crop but they are in field adjustments.

I have a friend that is a farmer, his dad used to run a couple 95's, he said to bring it over and we are going to cut some of his wheat with it to make sure everything is working, we also want to get all the junk (rat nest) blown out of it and get everything inside shined up before I start cutting food grade wheat.

You can't change the cylinder speed, fan speed, or the reel speed. There are 2 levers and 2 valves inside the cab. One lever turns on the header/separators, the 2nd lever turns on the auger to unload the grain, one valve raises/lowers the header and the 2nd valve adjust your drive speed.

• Alc said thank you

#19 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 10:27 PM

GOT IT!, I messed with the combine for a while today, I used a garden hoe and drug out a lot of junk then my brother showed up and we got out the shop vac, we started sucking out tons of junk and we slowly turned the separator over by hand, when the clutch would slip we would turn it the other way and so on. Once we could make a couple rotations of the big flat belt pulley we then rolled it back all the way till the clutch slipped. We then fired up the combine and through it into gear and the clutch slipped once or twice. The combine blow a bunch of junk out the back, from ace bandages, gloves, cigars (still in plastic wrap) and last but not least a toilet seat cover!. The old thing now works perfectly with no issues. I now need to check all the belts and fix the flat tire. I believe the old thing is about ready to cut wheat!

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 10:41 PM

Check all the bearings good. You don't want to have to stop in the middle of harvest to change bearings. 

#21 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 10:46 PM

Video after it's cleaned out