• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:45 PM

Like the title says, we've had mice and the occasional squirrel and bird make there way into the shop before.  But tonight I was in the office working on the computer and there was a weird clicking/rustling noise that was driving me nuts.  Thought it was a mouse and quietly made my way out to see if I could find it so I could put some poison in the right area and saw  a rag that was hanging on a box moving.  Went over to look and it wasn't a mouse.  It was this 20160611_232316.jpeg

Scared the crap out of me cause I was expecting a little field mouse.  Thought it was a cat at first but once I got a better look realized it wasn't.  I think it might be a Mink or maybe a young Fisher Cat.  From the pictures I looked up I'm leaning more towards Mink cause it looks full grown and what little I saw of the teeth they were small compared to a Fisher.  Going to leave a note on the door so my dad doesn't try to bring the dog in until we know its gone cause he'll think it a cat and try to play with it and we don't need that headache.             Stewart

• Bruce Dorsi, MFDAC, CRFarnsworth and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:05 PM

Tha-tha-tha-that's one Bi-bi-bi-BIG m m m m mouse.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• diesel nut, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:20 PM

He looks like this guy I fished out of a tank at work last year, and a co-worker identified it as a mink. It sounds like they can be pretty mean when provoked. He wanted out of the water pretty bad but didn't like the net at all! When I released him he just went to some nearby grass, rolled in it and groomed himself, then crawled in a pipe to rest. The next day he was gone.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Ronnie the weasel6.jpg
  • Ronnie the weasel7.jpg
  • Ronnie the weasel8.jpg
  • Ronnie the weasel9.jpg

• diesel nut, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:33 PM

Oh, that be a mink all right. Wear long leather gloves, and DO NOT MISS.
  • diesel nut, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:59 PM

Yep those little fellas will bite the heck out of ya.Only reason that would be in there is for Food.You might have a bigger problem with Rats or Mice than you realize.

Could trap it and sell the fur and buy more GT parts.Looks like Mink pelts are going for $35 up to $175 per pelt depending on quality.

• Lauber1 and diesel nut have said thanks

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 01:43 AM

I think that is the coolest critter to show up in your garage. I like that you respect his freedom and are willing to let him leave on his own accord .

Edited by HANKG, June 12, 2016 - 07:50 AM.

• diesel nut and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 05:55 AM

That should solve any mouse problem you have.

• MH81, EricFromPa, diesel nut and 2 others have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Agree with how mean those little critters can be.  A few years back late one evening just before dark we were on our deck and saw on come up from a close field and wonder hurriedly up through the flowers and up the drive.  When we looked out the other window he had caught up with a Muskrat and was in a battle with it in a drive across the road.  Short fight and he was dragging the rat down along a fence back towards a creek where he had probably came from.  Living in a very rural isolated area wildlife is a common sighting around here.

• diesel nut, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 08:04 AM

When I was teen I knew a family that raised mink for the market. They are fed a high protein diet that consisted of USDA inspected beef parts, sheep's heads and fish. They had a large masticator that the parts were thrown into and made into a slurry. I remember being intrigued with the process.

• diesel nut said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 10:06 AM

When I was teen I knew a family that raised mink for the market.

And you never got to go over and help when it was time to pull them out and send them to market? The first isn't horrible, but the next few hundred get really piffed.

• HANKG said thank you

#11 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Double all the warnings about their nasty nature and you've about got it, but he'll deal with any other varmint problem you may have and then leave of his own accord. Pelt won't be worth taking until he's prime in the late fall, but IMO. he's worth more alive than dead. Unless he's in the hen pen of course... that's a game changer for sure.
Not to highjack your thread, my Olde Deere and I pelted mink for two different mink ranches back in the 70's. I did the "legging" and he tailed and skinned, got up to the point we could skin 1000 a day. Only once did one hit the table that wasn't totally dispatched. It got pretty exciting there for a while, lol. Lots of memories and stories I could tell about mink and skinning them, not all pretty either.
  • KennyP, diesel nut, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:43 PM

I caught a weasel once. It's called a Least Weasel and is the smallest member of the weasel family. It looks about like your picture but is the size of a long skinny mouse. I was outside working under the hood. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something run under the truck. When I looked this thing ran out and started across the street. I spent awhile chasing it around the neighbor's yard. . . . Then it chased me for awhile. Finally, grabbing a pail I trapped him in it. When I poked a wrench at him, he tried to sink his teeth in. He was FEARLESS!  I turned him loose after a bit.

• Cvans, diesel nut and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:26 PM

He was FEARLESS!  I turned him loose after a bit.

Best thing you ever did. I caught one in a wind up mouse trap one winter. It was white and I didn't have a clue as to what it was. Went to the Game Fish and Parks office and they identified it as a lesser Weasel. The officer told me it was too bad it died as there is no place a mouse can hide from them. And if you have one on your property you won't have a mouse problem. I felt bad about not have checked the mouse trap sooner. 

• HANKG said thank you

#14 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:26 PM

When I was a kid in northeastern NC, My brother and I trapped muskrats, and we got a few minks a couple of otters and one bobcat along the way. The mink is at least as mean as a bobcat, just not as big. Back then wholesalers were paying .50-$1.50 for rats, Minks would bring $4-$6, Otter would bring $10-$15 if clean, they were the gold standard, Minks were worth more inch for inch, but they were small compared to otter. We had a few nutria, but they were basically worthless.

• EricFromPa and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:33 PM

When I was a kid in northeastern NC, My brother and I trapped

Beaver and fox were the high dollar items when I was an early teen. Not an otter to be found in sw MN.

• toppop52 said thank you