Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone own a 2135 CC?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:33 PM

So I went out to my daughters place today to do some work.  They just bought this little house in Ohio and we're trying to get the baby's room done before next month.  I pull up to her place and what do I see but her neighbors tractor sitting out front for sale.  Well, seeing that my dad likes to mow grass and at the ripe old age of 91, that's really about all he can do, I figured I would look at it.  He has a newer tractor but it's going with his house when my nephew buys it which should happen very soon.  I wanted to find something for him to use at my place so he can come down and mow any time.  I asked them if there was anything wrong with it and they mentioned that it needed a tune up pretty bad.  I just watched them mow their whole yard with this tractor a week ago.  We started it up and it seemed to run great.  I took it for a ride and mowed a little with it.  Deck is in real good shape as far as I could see.  He wanted $150 for it so I paid him and took it over next door where it will stay until I can pick it up.  It did start bucking and kicking up a fuss when I was putting it away though.  It must have sounded like gun shots to the neighbors.  Anyone that has owned one of these, is there anything I should look for?  I don't think I'll lose money on it.  Right now I'm thinking a good carb cleaning to start and maybe an adjustment or two.  I'm thinking he probably doesn't drain the gas when he puts it away for winter so some crap probably got somewhere where it shouldn't be.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  I don't have pics yet, maybe when it comes home which I hope will be next week.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 500 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:48 PM

A good tune up and carb cleaning plus maybe pull the fenders to take the tank out and clean it should take care of the problems.  Those tanks are plastic with the nipple for the gas line made right into them and have a little recess at that point and if there's dirt in the tank it floats around a little then plugs the line.  They're a decent little mowing tractor otherwise that's easy to get on and off of.     Stewart

• Alc, David Brown and chieffan have said thanks

#3 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:17 PM

they had alot of trans issues but for $150 it wont take to long to get your money's worth

Edited by olds45512, June 11, 2016 - 10:19 PM.

• David Brown and chieffan have said thanks

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 500 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:35 PM

they had alot of trans issues but for $150 it wont take to long to get your money's worth

That was the 2130 or any of the early 2000 series with the AGS auto gear system trans and a model number that ended in 0.  It was a gear drive with a wet clutch pack setup.  No one really knew when they came out that the way to drive it was to select the gear on the fender shifter and then press the pedal completely down and hold it there.  Most feathered the pedal and smoked the discs inside.  The HDS was a plain old hydro and the model number ended in 5.                   Stewart

• Alc, David Brown and chieffan have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:36 PM

My 2165 needed carb cleaned and a little "modification" of the fuel solenoid.It was burnt out so out cam the snips and off with it's head lol.Mine had the 16hp V-Twin vanguard in it and 46" deck.

Just take the carb off of it and give it a very good cleaning with some carb cleaner and blow it out with air.Watch you don't blow the rubber float seat out if it has 1.You'll never find the little bugger.

12.5hp kohler command is a Little under powered but there a good engine if you keep the dirt out of them.They're prone to rings wearing out and Coils going bad but other than that there a good engine.Once and a while you'll see 1 with a bent push rod or blown head gasket.

A nice new air cleaner with Fre filter and oil filter every couple years will keep it running strong for a long time.

Ya I heard about the AGS transaxles being junk.Mine was a 2165 HDS and had 2,621 hours on it when i sold it.Still run good and moved fine even up hills.

The 2135 should have the same hydro transaxle in it that mine had.There the Hydro Gear 618.Pretty good transaxles for an LT.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 11, 2016 - 10:43 PM.

#6 allan OFFLINE  

allan
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 83743
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 07:04 PM

TO WHOM GOT A 2140 CUB CADET IT RUN GREAT BUT MY GEARS IT MOVES SLOW AND THEN TAKE OFF IT GO BACK UP FINE TO THIS THERE A TRAM PROBLEM OR A JUSTMENT

#7 allan OFFLINE  

allan
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 83743
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:58 PM

TO WHOM GOT A 2140 CUB CADET IT RUN GREAT BUT MY GEARS IT MOVES SLOW AND THEN TAKE OFF IT GO BACK UP FINE TO THIS THERE A TRAM PROBLEM OR A JUSTMENT

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:23 AM

I'm getting ready to put a new ignition coil in this tractor but I have nothing that tells me what the gap should be.  Does anyone know?  I looked through the manuals and didn't see one for a CH13S engine.

#9 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 500 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 01:39 PM

The Kohler service book for the command vertical 11, 12.5, and 14 horse engines says to gap it to .008-.012.  The command horizontal 13 should be the same.             Stewart

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 02:06 PM

The Kohler service book for the command vertical 11, 12.5, and 14 horse engines says to gap it to .008-.012.  The command horizontal 13 should be the same.             Stewart

Thanks Stewart.  I got it gapped and going.  That was the problem so now I have a nice little mower for dad to use when he wants to.