• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:55 PM

So I have a sickle bar on my power king tractor. I use it to mow the lawn. Wait for the grass to be about a foot tall on average and then cut it down. My problem is within no time it packs the outboard end full of grass and pretty soon I have a grass monster dragging in the grass. I tried different engine speeds, different tractor speeds, excessive lubricant but what gives? Any tips?
  • milliebh3 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:06 PM

I have found in most cases a sickle bar is for mowing field type areas where the grass is more stalk like and not soft thick grass areas like a lawn would be.

• Alc said thank you

#3 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 09:11 PM

Try sharpening the knives on it.  I remember my grandpa coming up to work one day years ago in a foul mood because he was out using his Cub with the sickle mower and it kept plugging on the outer end.  He had the knife with him and put it on the sickle grinder and then took it back home and it worked perfect.  When I asked him about it later he said he forgot that it hadn't been sharpened in a while and for them to work properly they need to be adjusted properly and razor sharp like a barbers straight edge not sharp like a pair of scissors.  Hope this helps.             Stewart

• MH81, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Try adjusting the angle of the grass divider board at the end of the sickle - ref 21 in attached.

Attached Files

• Lauber1 said thank you

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:08 AM

You might want to check the 'pitch' and 'lead' of the cutter bar.

Here are two pages that show how to set them.

Attached Files

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:18 AM

You might also want to check the knife adjustments as well.

This is from the Bolens 415A manual, but it's the same for all the Haban Sickle-Mos.

Attached Files

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 12, 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#7 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 307 Thanks
  • 239 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:55 AM

You're knife's are out tune I think, they have to lay flat every one on the guides, look for uneven wear on guides and knife's for high spots, path on guides should be parallel with bar top and bottom, the end of mowers finds the most (rocks, wood, dirt, crescent wrench.....) as said above things need to be sharp, speed can be you're friend with this type of mower
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:02 AM

Yup, all the above!! The knives must be sharp, and tight to the drive bar they are attached to, also the fingers must be just right at the contact points/ shear edge to knife blade or it will just roll the grass between and rip it out instead of cut it off.
  • jimmy G said thank you

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Wrong section at the end of the sickle.  If your running a standard section on the end this is what happens.  Need a section that has 2 cutting sections with the end one being shorter and narrower .  Don't think I have one around any more but will check and post a pic if I find one.

Edited by chieffan, June 12, 2016 - 07:18 AM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Wrong section at the end of the sickle.  If your running a standard section on the end this is what happens.  Need a section that has 2 cutting sections with the end one being shorter and narrower .  Don't think I have one around any more but will check and post a pic if I find one.

That's pretty much what causes it. On a tractor field mower we used to use a Tripplet section on the end, to stop it from clogging up. Not sure what they use for a GT sized one. moving the board in half a section might help keep the material from getting off the end of the knife.

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 09:35 AM

Never messed with a GT sickle bar, but on the agriculture bars the knife and the guard have serrated edges and they had to be in good shape and the knife had to be held tightly down against the guard bottom.

Grass always built up on the end for me too but it was usually "dead" grass that had been cut the time before.

If you use a sickle bar for hay, everything you cut is picked up and gone for the next time you mow.

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hi, as others have posted the knives need to be sharp, a sickle mower does not do well in fine grasses but you are saying that the very end is clogging, looking at some posts you made in the past I'm thinking you have an earlier sickle mower built by PK, they used an IH sickle bar and made the mounts and drive, the correct RPM's for that sickle is 850 R's at the pitman flywheel or 1700 strokes / cycles per min, does your mower have a grass board on it if not that can be some of the problem. Post a picture of your mower.