33 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,871 Thanks
  • 5,439 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Hottest day had this year. Ac ran a lot today. My daughters dance recital is tonight. So my mom comes up to watch my son. I leave about 15 minutes down the road she calls and says the house smells like smoke. I rush home, smell a melted plastic smell. I go downstairs in the basement I can hear the compressor is running but no blower. I reach up and flip the disconnect and shut it down. I start sniffing and looking around. I didn't want to mess with anything because it's under warranty.

I get the guy on the phone and play dumb asking a bunch of questions about it. What controls the blower. What the smell could be ect ect. So he gives me a couple things to try. Awhile he is telling me this i am poking around looking. I see the back of the control card has a big burnt spot underneath what I am assuming is the start relay for the blower. Not sure what fried it but it is fried. I wonder if we had a little power surge or something but you'd think that would of popped a fuse or breaker first...

I didn't relay my finding. He is coming to look at it tomorrow.
  • hamman, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,523 Thanks
  • 2,541 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:03 PM

dang it. Hope u can get it fixed quickly.
  • boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,495 Thanks
  • 30,281 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:52 PM

That sucks royally!  Things like that always happen when it's the hottest.  

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,326 Thanks
  • 2,001 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:04 PM

You don't need a AC, everyone nowadays is spoiled with nice cool air, I have been going 26 years with out a AC and I'm still doing fine.
Although we are hoping to get one set up in the next year or two and I'm getting spoiled with the AC in my little pickup :D

• Gtractor and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,615 Thanks
  • 1,113 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:08 PM

We're dry enough here we use a swamp cooler and it works good and is simple to work on and cheap to operate.

Mike

• Gtractor and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,423 Thanks
  • 4,585 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:12 PM

That always is a real pain when one of the house systems quit. Is this the new system? We only have a window unit, and still argue how cool it should be.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,871 Thanks
  • 5,439 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:29 PM

You don't need a AC, everyone nowadays is spoiled with nice cool air, I have been going 26 years with out a AC and I'm still doing fine.
Although we are hoping to get one set up in the next year or two and I'm getting spoiled with the AC in my little pickup :D

I grew up first 17 years of my life without it. Moved out a year and half later to an apartment without ac. Then after that I bought a house that didn't have ac. This is the first home I've had with it. So I lived almost 30 years without it.

System is barely a year old. So I'm a bit annoyed

If it wasn't under warranty I'd be powering the blower with an extension cord!
  • Alc and Delmar have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,257 Thanks
  • 29,429 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:39 PM

We see this all the time with appliances.
Sub standard relays and or solder connections cause heat, look like a scorch from a surge, company does the BS two step and tries to say you need to get your homeowners involved.

Stand firm. If someone says surge or lightning, ask them to prove it / prove it wasn't a bad relay or solder.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,871 Thanks
  • 5,439 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:46 PM

We see this all the time with appliances.
Sub standard relays and or solder connections cause heat, look like a scorch from a surge, company does the BS two step and tries to say you need to get your homeowners involved.

Stand firm. If someone says surge or lightning, ask them to prove it / prove it wasn't a bad relay or solder.

Thanks for the advice.

I pulled the card off the side and it looks nasty you can clearly see where it got hot and melted the joint between he relays and it quit right there. The rest of the card appears to function as normal.

Turn the thermostat on cool and the compressor kicks on and runs up then the blower light comes on but nothing happens

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,257 Thanks
  • 29,429 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:58 PM

Ask to keep the old card if they don't need it for warranty.
Solder it back up and repair the old board... This is probably where the weak spot/known common failure is.
May want to find a replacement relay too.
Of course, this is all not important if the replacement boards are cheap.

Also, verify there are enough fuses the system
We got new radiant heaters for the shop and they didn't have any external fuse for the L1.
Would burn out the transformers. Might be 6 months or 6 days. According to the company, no one else has this issue, but we have it on all 5 of them.

Day after the warranty went out, We put an external fuse holders and wired into the L1 line before the x formers... Lots cheaper than the alternative.
  • Delmar, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,871 Thanks
  • 5,439 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 09:46 AM

I'll probably order an extra card to keep on hand. It's not terrible in the summer but in the middle of winter it would be terrible.

I've actually kind of enjoyed having the windows open. House seems so much fresher

#12 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 10:46 AM

In Alabama..you NEED an AC..its dangerous not to have one.

#13 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 10:48 AM

We can go without heat..but not AC..your car windows will fog up most days if you dont run the AC when diving.

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,871 Thanks
  • 5,439 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 11:04 AM

In Alabama..you NEED an AC..its dangerous not to have one.

Yesterday was our hottest day. 91 degrees. Today it's a nice 75 and 50s for a low. Seems to be our average for June. July gets a little warmer.

#15 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,625 Thanks
  • 1,340 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:27 PM

I hope you got the cool air back Aaron! The a/c went warm on my wife's car Wed. and a friend gave me a can of 134a to top off the charge. In a Dodge Journey the low-pressure port is behind the engine and under the dashboard. The hose was only 8" long so I bruised my arms jamming them into the blind, tight, HOT spot (engine has to be running) but got enough in it where it seems to blow cold for now. Wife and daughter left for a "girly" weekend at the lake Friday and we were having 100 degree days until today so it was badly needed. The wife's car is the one with the "state park" sticker so it was take her car or pay 30 more bucks for another sticker--- I went and bought another can with a 2' hose to have on hand in case it needs it again.

DAC

• toomanytoys84 said thank you