18 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:41 AM

I needed to get the 4 tires on my ranger balanced, as I had lost a weight on two of them.  My buddy who has the repair shop is on vacation for 2 weeks, I take the vehicle to him, pull it on the lift, take the tires off for him, and he runs the balancer, and I put them back on.  He charges me 5 or 10 bucks depending on his mood.

So I rode over to sears, hey man how much for 4 tires balanced.  71.96 plus tax.  I about died.  I just walked away.  Went to NTB, they wanted 9.99 a tire, half the price, but still outrageous in my mind.  Went down to another mom and pop garage down the road.  I need 4 tires balanced, how much?  How you paying?  Cash.  20 dollars. 

These repair shops are getting out of hand.  I understand how business works, but my ranger(14" Rims), I could of had 4 new tires put on the truck at Sears for probably 200 dollars.  That would of included mounting and balancing!  71.96 just to balance?  Come on! 

I also understand me and my buddy have a different circumstance as I do all the "work".  But his usual balancing price him doing the removing and putting on is 5 dollars a tire.

• hamman, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Its not just repair shops people are taking cash under the table a lot more these days & like you said the price depends on the mood their in that day....no average price anymore. Before we moved to KY. I used a scrap/junk yard a lot in OH. unloading construction debris. It was unreal the up & down pricing on the same 3/4 ton truck debris. I took loads twice on a Saturday when the jerk son was running the scales & I know I bought his lunch both times...no more on Saturdays. Like you done it pays very well to shop, not many customer relationships built anymore.

Edited by Sawdust, June 11, 2016 - 05:30 PM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Sears has to charge a bunch extra 'cause Scooter was absent on lug nut day and the litigation is costly.   Just ask Ron White.

Warning!!!!  BAD  LANGUAGE!!!!!!!      

https://www.youtube....h?v=sHT84A5t418

• hamman, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 02:22 PM

DAMN!! I ain't charging enough

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 02:49 PM

Must be a lot of difference between living in rural America and the populated area.  I just put 2 new 8 plys on my truck, P235/75-R17.  Mounting, balance, no charge for disposal, tax, put the spare back under the back end for just a little over $352.00.  A young guy opened his own tire business a couple years ago.  Has about 5 hired people including his service truck.  If you don't make an appointment expect an hour wait for your turn, rain or shine.

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 03:20 PM

Building a relationship with a small local business can save alot in the long run. When they know you, they can be a little less worried about you paying or making trouble. When I was in business, my quotes were double what I figured the project would cost. That way I had what I needed before the design was half done. Too many people try to add in more work or stiff you on the final payments. They are always suprised when you tell them its under budget. I didn't get alot of jobs but my clients saved alot of money in the long run.

I try to use my local NAPA for parts, my local tire guy for tires and do most else myself. New tires should include new stems and spin balancing. When I use a used tire, I change it myself and use my bubble balancer. The old tire changer was $25 and the balancer was $5. They are 50+ years old and manual but do the job. Over the past 30 years they have paid me back many times. I picked them up at garage sales where your money goes farthest. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 11, 2016 - 03:21 PM.

• hamman, HDWildBill, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#7 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 03:33 PM

We charged $12 a wheel, barely made a profit, overhead, even in a family run business, is high. Cost of property, taxes, upkeep, insurance, salaries.  My favorite was always the shops that would charge a rate of say $40 to balance the tires, but for an additional $15, they would rotate them too! What a bargain! :D

• hamman, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 03:34 PM

In the last 12 years we have spent $3000.00 on tires for our 2004 silverado. LT 265 / R75 16 All Terrain BF Goodrich.  All from the same place. It is 38 miles away but they treated us good on price and service for getting the tires. We didn't get to go to them to rotate the tires so we went locally here the first time. we were in a bind and they charged us 25 just to rotate and 15 to balance. Oh by the way that's per tire. They were the cheapest around here. So after getting new tires Thursday again from the same place I told him I would buy without haggeling on price if he would rotate and balance for the next 55k miles for free. He said 15 for all and i said free because we have bought $3500.00 in tires since 2004. Had four new ones put on the Aveo 3 years ago also. Finally he said ok, you do drive 38 miles one way to biuy from us. It's worth the drive for this as we can shop while we are there. I agree they try to charge outrageous prices for that. I know they need to make money also, but not all of it off me.

Roger

Edited by hamman, June 11, 2016 - 03:36 PM.

• boyscout862, EricR, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 03:46 PM

Must be a lot of difference between living in rural America and the populated area. I just put 2 new 8 plys on my truck, P235/75-R17. Mounting, balance, no charge for disposal, tax, put the spare back under the back end for just a little over $352.00. A young guy opened his own tire business a couple years ago. Has about 5 hired people including his service truck. If you don't make an appointment expect an hour wait for your turn, rain or shine.

I just put 4 toyo open country at2s in 265/75/16 on my Tacoma for 552 all in.

Tire prices swing wildly depending on brand. Those same tires in bfg were over 1300. Michellin just over a 1000. Coopers in at 650.

Toyos are relatively cheap but I wanted to try them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 04:12 PM

You guys are doing something wrong!  

My $400 pickup [pictured in avatar] needed two new tires so I went to China-Mart and bought what they had.  There was no choice - they only offer 1 tire in that size.   $41 each cash and carry.  I spent $82 plus tax.  I believe Missouri also charges a $.50 disposal fee on every new tire to clean up old tire dumps.  Took them home and mounted them myself.

The "associate" running the cash register couldn't figure out how come I wanted to cash and carry and I pointed to the "associate" standing beside him looking like an unintelligent life form from planet Lazy and said:

"Because I used to work with that guy and he will never touch ANY vehicle of mine".    

True story!  I actually did "work" with the guy for three whole days.   At the start of day 4, I told bosshole it was him or me.  I lost and worked there another 2 years before I sought, and found, a better job.   Sometimes I'm just as unintelligent as the next guy!  :(

• grnspot110, hamman, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#11 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:36 PM

I took my truck in for new tires on the front a couple years ago. I had a pair of used tires I wanted installed on the back. They put the used ones on for 12.50 each (removed the old ones and disposed of, new valve stem and balanced).' Two new Bridgestone 10 ply's on the front (LT245/75R16). Total bill with taxes was $362. I did buy tires at Walmart once, for my wife's car. Once being the key word.

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, June 11, 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:05 PM

I bought tires at Walmart once. I had a 91 ranger. I got 235/75/15 for something like 175 installed. They had them on "roll back". Goodyears too. No complaints

Bought tires at Sam's once too. No complaints

I could go on about Walmarts oil changes but that's a story for another day

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • Gtractor said thank you

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:05 PM

I bought "Primewell" tires for the '55 at the local Firestone store cash and carry in late 2013. We had an old tire machine at work and mounted them myself, no balancing. Got lucky and the old truck drives great, no shake, shimmy or wander with these el-cheapo non-balanced tires. 70 mph is all the faster I run it though.

DAC

• toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 07:34 AM

I get mine done from a buddy too. He charges $20 a tire to mount and balance them, but I get any new tires for his cost, he only makes money on the mounting and balancing.

The big box stores up the tire price by 40-50% then charge $15-20 per tire to mount and balance, I'll help out the little guy.

#15 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 06:46 AM

I've been charging $40.00 to mount and balance all 4.