• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:01 AM

When did they quit using cast iron governor gears in the K series? I bought one used from eBay a while back to put in the 12hp Magnum that I overhauled a while back.
I have a Cub 1200 here to try to get running for someone and I found the screw that holds it in laying on the frame next to the engine so I know that it be coming off of the tractor and apart to access it and to reinstall it where it goes.

Was the cast iron gear a hit or miss deal or installed on certain applications but not others or did all built before a certain time have them, or certain HP engines got them or what?

Edited by dodge trucker, June 11, 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:35 PM

nobody knows? (or maybe cares)?  I'm wondering  because in case I happen to run into any "junk" K blocks which ones might be most likely to be able to "pirate" the better cast iron gears from?

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 05:11 AM

The Kohlers  (10-16 hp) on my Fords are mid 70s and all have the plastic gear. 

Edited by poncho62, June 15, 2016 - 05:12 AM.

• dodge trucker and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 06:18 AM

The one in my '72 K241 is plastic.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Huh. Must be an age thing then when they phased them out.

#6 64fleetside OFFLINE  

64fleetside
  • Member No: 77612
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 06:34 PM

I've understood it was the old 10hp engines, but dunno how old, I'm guessing late 60s?

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 06:04 AM

it was more than just the 10's that had them.  I have gotten from people that claim they came from a K181 and a couple that claim to have come from K321's.  I know that they put a gazilion plastic ones into this series of engine but the plastic ones just scare me, the thinking is that they are more likely to get brittle being in an oil bath all the time and heated/cooled repeatedly. I see tons of people offering used plastic ones for sale, I'd definitely be afraid of putting one of those into an engine. and they want 90% of the price of a new one for those,  too...... I've seen a few plastic ones self destruct, have never seen a metal one do so.  Especially being how EVERYTHING needs to come out of the block to get to them, to replace.....

I have a Cub 1200 here that the retainer screw backed out on that has to come apart to take care of...... IDK the condition of the one that is in there yet, have not gotten it out and apart yet.  but being mid/late 70's I'm assuming so far that it has a plastic one inside until I get inside and see different, if that turns out to be the case. I have bought 2 metal ones via Ebay in the last week... (the other one for another K series that I have here that I want to overhaul)