• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 09:52 AM

I picked up a Yazoo mower a couple of weeks ago and it has transmission issues. I cannot find any internal trans parts and do not see any transmission donor Yazoos out and about at the moment either. Am thinking of pulling the engine and scrapping the rest. (Yeah I know that scrap isn't worth much rights now).

But that brings up the question of whether a 16hp single cylinder Briggs would swap onto an S or GT series without too much headache?

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:04 AM

:camera: What's it doing/not doing?

• retired1990 said thank you

#3 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:17 AM

Going to need to raise the engine to make the crankshaft center the same, flywheel adapter to drive shaft, sleeve to PTO clutch, ....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:33 AM

I'm going to have to measure as I don't have them next to each other but I was worried that the crank would be too high on tbriggs.

#5 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:49 AM

http://www.smallengi...ategory=1710194
http://www.smallengi...ategory=1711072

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,580 Thanks
  • 3,960 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:02 AM

The frame rail might be too tight on the S where the GT is already notched for a wider engine. I don't know the widths on other engines. Just something to consider.
  • Wm McNett and dodge trucker have said thanks

#7 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:15 AM

The frame rail might be too tight on the S where the GT is already notched for a wider engine. I don't know the widths on other engines. Just something to consider.

Is it a single cylinder, opposed twin or v-twin Briggs?
I used to have the diagrams of both Kohler opposed and Briggs v-twin. When I was thinking about buying a Briggs to Repower. Which is where my above statement comes from. Iirc, the Briggs made more torque and you can never have too much of that.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 02:25 PM

the engine that I have off the Yazoo is a single cylinder cast iron 16HP Briggs. I thought I'd said that maybe not.

(you threw me a curve ball there with the link to the V twins)

as for who asked "what's it doing"?  I assume you meant the Yazoo...

It goes in Reverse just great but will not do anything forward.  When I got it, it did but it hesitated before doing so. I then found the Hi/lo lever, put it in lo, and now it does absolutely nothing forward since, whether in hi or low but still goes backwards great!
I did pull the cap and tried to adjust the forward clutch; and saw that the thing was empty of oil. I filled it up as the instr. that I found online said to before I touched the clutch,  and no difference, I then had to drain it again so I could see the spring they talked about having to "hold up with a screwdriver" and the new oil came right back out but was already "glittery" even that oil was in there and I tried to run it less than 5 minutes. So I go to hold that spring thing up to make the adjustment and "POP"! into the bottom of the gearcase it went so it has to come off and apart no matter what if I want to make it work again, to retrieve that spring thing, to see what's up with that shuttle valve for hi/lo, and to reseal it so it once again holds its oil... but I looked online as a "yazoo" and also tried looking up "ROCKFORD CLUTCH", as it was both mentioned in the online manual and is stamped prominently on the little clutch drum within and came up empty so I guess nothing's available for it....

so I either find a parts machine with a good transmission or I pull the engine and scrap the rest.... which is a little rough anyways but would be a fine mower for the yard (and the guy) that I bought it for.

• Wm McNett and retired1990 have said thanks

#9 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 02:49 PM

You did say single
Guess I was reading too fast

• dodge trucker said thank you

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 07:30 PM

well, the Yazoo is in the scrap heap, except for the engine that started this thread.  If you guys know of anybody interested,, it's listed in the forum's for sale section...good runner. 

other possible trade bait besides what is listed in that ad would be stuff that would do me some good on either my Ariens GT19 or NH S14... a snow blower,  3 point hitch, are among my "wanted" list.