FINALLY. Not a long time in the Grand Scheme of Things, but it seemed like forever to me. I started this project just before last Christmas and "finished" it yesterday (knowing that one is never "finished"...). The 1886 was in pretty rough shape when I hauled it home, but it did run. I pretty much took it down to the frame, but left the internals alone in the engine - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I replaced some items here and there - some switches, some gaskets, the three drive belts for the PTO, a rear tire, changed all the fluids and filters, bought a new battery, spark plugs and wires, fuel line and filter, etc. Stripped and painted parts as they were removed. Found out that the K482S engine was a 15 Amp replacement from a Wheelhorse (I kept the red parts red - I thought they went well with the Bolens red wheels). The engine had no data plate (it burned off long ago) so I got an aftermarket one and put it above the oil filter to keep that from happening again. The exhaust was a rusted out mess. I had to replace the exhaust manifold, get some welding done on the exhaust pipe flange, and rigged up a temporary heat shield untiI can replace the muffler completely. The seat, obviously, is on my short list for replacement. The existing seat, which is worn out, is an aftermarket that I experimented with by painting it with a brown vinyl spray paint. I'll do that with the new seat in a buckskin tone. I just couldn't find any brown seats out there and this is not a 100% restoration anyway.
Here are some of the pictures, from it's arrival at my barn until sitting in my driveway yesterday
I got lots of advice and support from GTTalk members, thanks! And bought a part or two here and there from site support parts guys - again, thanks to all!