• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Finally got my 1886 back together after having had most all the parts off it in the past few months.  It hasn't fired since January, but I had to remove the engine in order to have one of the head bolts removed and retapped.  It was at the machine shop for quite a while, but that gave me a chance to do some clean up and painting in the engine compartment.  Anyway, once it was all back together (correctly, I'm hoping...) and the wiring replaced where needed, I hit the ignition switch yesterday and ... nada.  Of course the six year old (yeah, six years old!) battery would barely light the taillight.  Soooo, I sprang for a brand new battery and put it in today.  Cranks great now, but still no start.  Hmmmm.   I did put on a new condenser and points.  I believe I need to check the points first.  I don't think I'm getting fire to the plugs.  

Any thoughts?

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Coil? Putting out voltage ? Do you have a plug tester? Are your points and condenser on the negative side of the coil?
  • blackjackjakexxix, Paulgo and SC Farmer have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hope your not like me. I just got my H16 back together late last night couldn't get it to do anything. I rewired everything so started checking all that then realized my safety switches were disconnected before then remembered I replaced all that to make it right. Once I pushed the brake on then it turned over....very happy but. Still wouldn't start then realized I still had the fuel shutoff valve off. Once I got myself back together it ran fine. Hope you don't have anything serious. It's funny how we take things apart then we start second guessing everything we've done.

Edited by Sawdust, June 10, 2016 - 09:00 PM.

• SC Farmer said thank you

#4 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 05:46 AM

I put in new plugs and gapped them to spec.  The points & condenser are on the correct side, but I did have the condenser wired directly to the coil.  That will get changed this morning when I adjust the points..  And Sawdust - too funny - yeah, I did most of what you said.  Here is one thing I did that was kind of a "duh" - since the engine hasd sat unfired for several months, and without any oil in it, I wanted to crank it with the starter, but with  no fire in order to slowly get the moving parts oiled up before starting it for real.  I had removed the plug wires some time ago and had forgotten they weren't on the engine.  Soooo...when I did try to start it - cranked, but didn't start.  Then I realized there were no plug wires!  Needless to say, that got fixed, unfortunately, it still won't start.  

More on this later after I adjust the points...

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:47 AM

It will be something ridiculously simple

#6 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 11:57 AM

I put in new plugs and gapped them to spec. The points & condenser are on the correct side, but I did have the condenser wired directly to the coil. That will get changed this morning when I adjust the points..

?????

The condenser does go directly to the coil

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160611_1249407_rewind_kindlephoto-6091789.jpg
  • IMG_20160611_1247275_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20160611_1247222_rewind.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, Sawdust, ClassicBolens and 2 others have said thanks

#7 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 02:57 PM

Yup to both of your posts.  It was ridiculously simple and it does go directly to the coil!  The problem was the points weren't gapped correctly. Once that was corrected, it started like a champ!  Took it out of the barn for the first time since January and tooled around the yard for a while, washed the dust and barn grit off of it and parked it back in the barn.  Fun!  Now I need to adjust the carb a bit and then attach the rebuilt mower next week.  Tomorrow I'll be checking out the hydraulic lift and hoping it is okay.  I'll post some pictures in the morning.

Now I need to get serious on finishing a Cub Cadet 106 rebuild that is probably 90% - I've been holding off on it while the Bolens 1886 was in progress.  Then there's the Bolens 1253 that's hiding in the corner of the barn that I haven't touched since I got it.  

Too many tractors and not enough time... :thumbs:

Edited by SC Farmer, June 11, 2016 - 06:48 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#8 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 05:56 AM

FINALLY.  Not a long time in the Grand Scheme of Things, but it seemed like forever to me.  I started this project just before last Christmas and "finished" it yesterday (knowing that one is never "finished"...).  The 1886 was in pretty rough shape when I hauled it home, but it did run.  I pretty much took it down to the frame, but left the internals alone in the engine - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I replaced some items here and there - some switches, some gaskets, the three drive belts for the PTO, a rear tire, changed all the fluids and filters, bought a new battery, spark plugs and wires, fuel line and filter, etc.  Stripped and painted parts as they were removed.  Found out that the K482S engine was a 15 Amp replacement from a Wheelhorse (I kept the red parts red - I thought they went well with the Bolens red wheels).  The engine had no data plate (it burned off long ago) so I got an aftermarket one and put it above the oil filter to keep that from happening again.  The exhaust was a rusted out mess. I had to replace the exhaust manifold, get some welding done on the exhaust pipe flange, and rigged up a temporary heat shield untiI can replace the muffler completely. The seat, obviously, is on my short list for replacement.  The existing seat, which is worn out, is an aftermarket that I experimented with by painting it with a brown vinyl spray paint.  I'll do that with the new seat in a buckskin tone.  I just couldn't find any brown seats out there and this is not a 100% restoration anyway.

Here are some of the pictures, from it's arrival at my barn until sitting in my driveway yesterday

I got lots of advice and support from GTTalk members, thanks!  And bought a part or two here and there from site support parts guys - again, thanks to all!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1c.JPG
  • 6.JPG
  • 134.JPG
  • 272.JPG
  • 286.JPG
  • 364.JPG
  • 357.JPG
  • 361.JPG

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 6 others have said thanks

#9 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Looks real good, nice job, all your hard work paid off , thanks for pics, put it to work!

#10 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:49 AM

Looks awesome Jim! Great job!!

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 10:29 AM

Awesome job you done turned out real nice. I'm glad your problem wasn't serious. Looks like its eager to do some work now that you woke her up. I'm finishing up on my second GT & one in boxes & another waiting. One of my biggest pet peeves is the wiring mess we all have to deal with on most of these rebuilds. Is there a special cross eyed monkey electrical group that specializes in destroying the wiring. Your before & after pics of your engine area says a lot of your expertise. I recently tried for the first time the vinyl paint for a black seat that had white overspray...real happy with it too. Were you able to salvage your decals. :thumbs:

#12 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Jim,

I feel your pain on the wiring!  Only thing I've seen worse is my IH Cub Cadet 106 wiring,  which I am wading through slowly - what a mess! Thanks for the comments on the engine - someone apparently used to use the tractor for mud bogging - it's engine was covered in red North Carolina mud and old oil.

I did replace a few of the decals, but not the hood area.  That will come maybe this winter.

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,764 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Looks good,glad you got it back in shape

• Sawdust and SC Farmer have said thanks

#14 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Man, that is sharp!! That is so sweet!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

That's really neat you had the interest to fix it up. It looks great! Hope to see more of it and thanks for posting the pictures. What a great looking machine.

Edited by Austen, June 12, 2016 - 12:24 PM.

• Sawdust and SC Farmer have said thanks

#15 Clevis OFFLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 58 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:40 PM

Good looking tractor! Glad the fix was easy to finally start it.