22 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Go over it real good with a magnet.  That will show up the hidden bondo spots.  T good looks down the side can tell imperfections quick also.  Kind of high $ wise in my opinion and that 400 will suck your pocket dry.   But good luck with you project truck.

• MGP59DB said thank you

#17 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:38 AM

My '74 super beetle had a little rust, I ended up cutting big chunks out around the back window inside and out. But that is due to the foam VW put in their bugs to keep down noise. There is a reason why they call it death foam :(

Attached Thumbnails

• VW BUG RUST 023.JPG
  • VW BUG RUST 007.JPG
  • VW BUG RUST 006.JPG
  • VW Bug Patch 027.JPG
  • VW Bug Patch 026.JPG
  • VW Bug Patch 033.JPG
  • VW BUG 020.jpg
  • VW BUG 010.jpg

• Auburn David and MGP59DB have said thanks

#18 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 994 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for all of the input , It is a lot to think about . There may be bigger issues .

You just can't see everything at first . I have been toying with this for a month already , parts are cheap and easy to find .

I can do a lot of work myself and realize that no matter what , I need a Pick-up and can't buy new. Used anything is risky .

It has great bones , and I am not the only pair of eyes looking at it. I am not going with my heart either . I happen to be more of a Chevy guy . My gut tells me that this is what I am looking for .

For comparison - I bought this Jeep 99' - two years ago , since then I have had to put $1,000 into needed repairs and a set of tires .

It is probably not worth anymore now than what I paid for it and maybe less.

I like this Jeep , but it doesn't tow well and is not good on the Highway .

S5001453.JPG

Edited by MGP59DB, June 11, 2016 - 08:13 AM.

• Auburn David said thank you

#19 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,469 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:19 AM

One of my favorite Fords, I drove a '65 F100 for a couple of years in the mid 80's, mine was a 352- 2 bbl/ 3 speed column shift.

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:06 AM

4500 dollars would buy a nice newer square body if you want something that is sort of "classic". Cheap and plentiful parts for them too. And probably drive and ride better in the long run. I had to stop myself from hoping in the truck and going to look at an 85 long bed Chevy for 1500 I found on my Saturday morning craigslist search

I wouldn't buy that truck and try to daily drive and tow with it...but that's just me. I get annoyed driving my 99 ranger because of lack of convenience my Tacoma has. Cruise, AC, power windows, satellite radio, ect. Not to mention the much better seats and ride...

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 11, 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#21 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:26 AM

[quote name="MGP59DB" post="688657" timestamp="1465650093"
For comparison - I bought this Jeep 99' - two years ago , since then I have had to put $1,000 into needed repairs and a set of tires .
It is probably not worth anymore now than what I paid for it and maybe less.
I like this Jeep , but it doesn't tow well and is not good on the Highway .

Jeeps hold their value extremely well around here. You'd be surprised what they go for. As far as putting a $ 1000 into it, I don't think that's bad. Tires just don't count in that equation. Anything you drive on a regular basis will eventually need consumables like tires, filters, wipers, brake pads and the like. I never buy new vehicles. Depending on the age and condition, one of the first things I do is a service--oil, filters, tune up, belts and hoses. Although if they are the original factory hoses I leave them alone because aftermarket hoses are crap.

I would consider that truck to be a weekend toy. Not a daily driver to tow regularly. It's not set up to tow heavily. And sometime around July and August the lack of a/c is going to wear thin. For that kind of money you get a truck better suited for what you want to do. Especially if you sell your Jeep and pool the cash.

Sit down and make a list of what you need to do to it if you buy it. Receiver hitch. Wiring. Transmission cooler. Tune-up. Oil and filters. Probably need to fully bleed all the brakes and get the crap fluid out. Check the tires and how much longer they will last. Check the front end ball joints and toe rods. Gear oil. Transmission fluid and filter. Antifreeze flush and a new thermostat. . Be honest in what you need to do and what it really costs and see if you can live with it.

The think really hard about what you want to do with it. Do you want to stop a loaded trailer at 60 mph with four wheel drum brakes?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Just giving you my two cents worth. To have that truck as a toy to play around with on the weekends would be a lot of fun. But I wouldn't want to drive it to work everyday or head across the interstate dragging a trailer. But that's just me.
  • Bmerf, toomanytoys84 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#22 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,469 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 03:01 PM

The 400M Ford has decent torque, but don't make much power and they burn fuel like a 747. They are cool trucks, the C6 is great, but to make a really nice daily driver/tow vehicle, I can easily see $10-12K over the buying price. If I wanted to play with it, no problem, but to make it something you can live with daily, I see 12 to 15 grand total before you finish, paint, disc brakes, overdrive tranny, a/c, power steering, stereo, bed liner, towing set up... Now if you plan to do all that and drive a really cool older truck vs a run of the mill newer truck, then way cool, go for it!

Edited by toppop52, June 11, 2016 - 03:01 PM.

• Bmerf said thank you

#23 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have a big soft spot for cool old trucks,---even Fords---LOL! Just kidding. It looks like a great old truck that would be a lot of fun and useful at the same time. I've got 3 old trucks, 2 are drivers and one is getting closer to being a driver again.

DAC