#1 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Does anyone know of the existence and/or source of an adapter sleeve for the purpose of adapting an SAE J 609B taper output shaft to a straight output? The 609B shaft is designed to drive a generator armature directly and is a taper shaft with a threaded end. I am looking at an engine with this output shaft design and would need to adapt it to a straight design for installing a lovejoy coupler to drive a hydraulic hub.

Thanks!

JN

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Do you have the coupling that was originally used on this? Can you take some pictures?

#3 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 03:32 PM

No, I don't have.

I was considering purchasing an engine that has the SAE 609B generator style tapered output shaft on it. I was not able to locate anyone that makes an adapter so it would have entailed fabricating one. The alternative would have been to locate an old generator armature with that style hub in it and adapting that. Fabricating one from scratch would be difficult since the shaft is long and tapered - about 7/8" diameter tapering down over about a 5" length. Machining a piece of stock internally with that shape would be a real challenge.

I am going to continue to search but as of now I do not have an immediate need.

JN

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 05:01 PM

Wow, that is a long taper! Definitely difficult to machine for most of us....impossible for me!

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Any chance that you could shorten the 5" shaft to say 2"- 3" and then machine the taper in the coupling or adapter your going to use . Maybe you could drill the shaft for a bolt or a set screw through the coupling to hold it on . Just a thought, Al

#6 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 11:45 AM

The output shaft I am referring to has a threaded end where a retaining nut goes. I don't think it would be practical to cut the end of the crankshaft and re-machine it. Another reason for using a hub specifically made for this output shaft is that it does not appear to have a key way so the combined hold of the tapered shaft and retaining nut carry the torque.

It still appears that the best option would be to locate an old armature and use the hub from it.

JN

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 02:19 PM

It still appears that the best option would be to locate an old armature and use the hub from it.

JN

I would have to agree. And there has to be one out there somewhere!