• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 19 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 04:45 AM

I can't thank all you guys enough for all of the great advice. I feel like I'm getting a million dollar education. I have literally no experience with this stuff, so it is such a big help!

I've been working on getting my brakes going on my Power King, and while having it torn apart a little bit, the Bull gear housing randomly started leaking. I have no idea why. 

It appears to be coming from one of the bolts that hold the housing to the frame, but that doesn't really make sense to me. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Thanks Again!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1374.JPG
  • IMG_1375.JPG

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,045 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 05:54 AM

The leak looks like it is from above the frame. The best way to find it is to clean it all real good and then watch for the leak. Check fluid levels first. Good Luck, Rick

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,809 Thanks
  • 6,606 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 06:30 AM

Pictures sideways maybe??  Yes, those bolts can leak.  Those are bolts with nuts, and to tighten really requires a wrench on head that is inside the case, or it just turns. Orig had gasket paper under heads. IN order to fix, one must pull all the brake parts off and remove that large bull cover to reach them. If it is just a little seepage, I would not even fix. This is a job for when or if you have to pull things apart when replacing axle or drove bushings and bearings and so-on.  These tractors are just like old time big ones, if it leaks, you know it has oils and greases in them doing the job.  Any old timer tractor has leaky areas at seams and shafts, and builds up with dirty oil/grease caking on it over it's life.

• MH81, JakeQT17 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,762 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 07:06 AM

Pictures sideways maybe??  Yes, those bolts can leak.  Those are bolts with nuts, and to tighten really requires a wrench on head that is inside the case, or it just turns. Orig had gasket paper under heads. IN order to fix, one must pull all the brake parts off and remove that large bull cover to reach them. If it is just a little seepage, I would not even fix. This is a job for when or if you have to pull things apart when replacing axle or drove bushings and bearings and so-on.  These tractors are just like old time big ones, if it leaks, you know it has oils and greases in them doing the job.  Any old timer tractor has leaky areas at seams and shafts, and builds up with dirty oil/grease caking on it over it's life.

• JakeQT17 said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,090 Thanks
  • 881 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 07:26 AM

Hi yes they leak as Grumpy posted you can try using a air impact wrench on the on the nut sometimes it will tighten up with out a wrench on the head of the bolt don't try with just a wrench firt cause once it starts to turn in the hole your done until you open it up.

Edited by MNGB, June 10, 2016 - 07:27 AM.

• Alc and JakeQT17 have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,657 Thanks
  • 6,746 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 01:25 PM

http://gardentractor...noise-was-from/ Not sure if this is going to work but tried to paste a thread that has some pictures of the housing opened
  • JakeQT17 said thank you

#7 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 19 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 06:14 PM

The leaking is fast enough at its making a puddle on the floor , but to your point it's not a huge amount. I think maybe I'll just put a can under it .

Thank you much

#8 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:50 PM

Each side has three bolts that have the heads on the inside. I was lucky enough to get 5 of the 6 to tighten with an impact wrench.  Any time you open up a Bull Gear Housing  CHECK THOSE BOLTS and tighten them.