Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tensioner spring and belt guide for drive belts on 1456 (H14)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:40 PM

I finally got around to starting my 1456 (H14) Bolens tractor the other day that I picked up a year and a half ago for free. It had not been run since 2009 but with some help from some starter fluid it fired up and ran really well. The hydro responded really well until the tensioner spring broke because it was rusted badly. I am ordering a new one and a new belt guide but I need help with the position of the belt guide and trying to locate the attachment point of the spring on the chassis. I know where the spring mounts on the idler pulley bolt but where does it fasten on the opposite end? I have a service and repair manual and a parts list book but there are no pictures to show me where these things go.

Thanks for any help you can give

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 11:26 PM

I have a H16 same thing just different engine. Look across the spring down on the bottom of the frame you should have a hole. A cotter pin goes up from the bottom with the legs bent outward. The spring hooks into the head of the cotter pin that is sticking up through the hole. Hope this helps.

20160424_162701.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#3 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Those Tube frame hydro's are nice machines,good luck with it

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:39 AM

Thanks!! for that nice picture, you guy's are a life saver, now I know what that cotter pin is for in the parts break down.

Where do I position the belt guide for the hydro drive belts that bolts on above the idler pulley?

I will try to send some pictures of the H14 Bolens, it is going to go to work for now hauling a trailer around since I have no attachments that came with it, but as I have time I will start restoring it. Its a little beast.

Stephen

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Thanks!! for that nice picture, you guy's are a life saver, now I know what that cotter pin is for in the parts break down.

Where do I position the belt guide for the hydro drive belts that bolts on above the idler pulley?

I will try to send some pictures of the H14 Bolens, it is going to go to work for now hauling a trailer around since I have no attachments that came with it, but as I have time I will start restoring it. Its a little beast.

Stephen

You should have two bolt studs coming out above the pulleys. The guard slides onto those. When I get home I'll see if I can get a pic of mine.

These tube frames are great workers. I've been rebuilding mine for the last month to keep it working good.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:40 AM

Here are a few pics of mine. I have one bolt thats longer than the other not sure if thats been changed or not or why. Hope this helps & if you have any more questions feel free to ask, a lot of good folks on here just love a challenge. Keep us updated.

belt guard1.jpg belt guard2.jpg pic20.jpg

• LPBolens said thank you

#7 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:07 PM

I took a look at my H14 and the engine pulley belt guide just has two flush mounted bolts attaching it to the engine. So I looked in the parts break down and it calls for (2) 3/8-16 x 2 1/2 capscrews or bolts, so I'm guessing the previous owner replaced them with a threaded rod and lock nut.

The belt guide I am referring to is the small dia metal rod that is bent at a 90 degree and is bolted to the idler pulley bracket that has the tensioning spring mounted to the bolt below it. You show it in the fore ground of the third picture you just sent me today. It is the picture that show your entire tractor chassis. It looks like it is supposed to limit the travel of the tensioning pulley that drives the hydro unit. I don't see where it serves any other purpose because it is facing toward the outside of the tractor. Let me know what you think.

Stephen
  • Sawdust said thank you

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I took a look at my H14 and the engine pulley belt guide just has two flush mounted bolts attaching it to the engine. So I looked in the parts break down and it calls for (2) 3/8-16 x 2 1/2 capscrews or bolts, so I'm guessing the previous owner replaced them with a threaded rod and lock nut.

The belt guide I am referring to is the small dia metal rod that is bent at a 90 degree and is bolted to the idler pulley bracket that has the tensioning spring mounted to the bolt below it. You show it in the fore ground of the third picture you just sent me today. It is the picture that show your entire tractor chassis. It looks like it is supposed to limit the travel of the tensioning pulley that drives the hydro unit. I don't see where it serves any other purpose because it is facing toward the outside of the tractor. Let me know what you think.

Stephen

That is a lever that when pulled back it hooks over the bolt head on the tube frame. This is to disengage the idler drive pulley for cold starts. Once started carefully pull the lever up off the bolt head & allow the pulley to engage the belts. I actually never use it. I was missing the bolt & just fabricated one just because it was suppose to be there.

#9 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Jim for that info I would have never guessed that one. I guess I need to find an operators manual for my H14, I don't know if there is one the web site.

Stephen

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Here is a pic of mine unlocked & locked. You can go to the manuals section & find your manual then download free.

lever2.jpg lever.jpg

Sorry for the tilt first time this has happened to me, maybe one of the mods can fix it for me later. Ill try to copy & paste the link to your manual. I just acquired Windows 10 & not real happy with it so far.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:46 PM

Owners Manual

http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

Parts Manual

http://gardentractor...olens-1456-h14/

• 29 Chev said thank you

#12 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • 17 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 09:06 PM

Thanks again for everything, I found the info in the manual it is called a lockout. I looked at my tractor and the stud and nut are on the tube frame right where it shows it.

I also found the cotter pin where the spring hooks to after I moved the debris away that was covering it, the tractor needs a good cleaning. I am feeling a whole lot better about everything.

Thanks for the support,  Stephen

• Sawdust said thank you