#1 Tom_Pavlak OFFLINE  

Tom_Pavlak
  • Member No: 69141
  • 33 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 01:59 PM

Hello - 61 Electric start Model.

I am having an issue right now.

Ive replaced the voltage regulator and wired it according to the manual...motor turns over fine. Now I'm confused a little. It have points, which are connected to a wire going into the engine (Magneto?).

The points are wired separately from the starting..so, you push the button...starter turns over...my assumption is the points get spark from the magneto??

Im not sure whats going on...new points, gaped correctly...it will start once in a while...but not at all consistent. what should I be looking for..

Thanks in advance

Tom

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Hello, the starter on this is a completely seperate unit and has nothing to do with the engine ignition system on these

Your ignition consists of points , condenser , Coil and magnets

Couple things to check are your points box cover could be possibly be grounding out, you have a short in your kill wire possibly or you have a faulty coil.

I assume you have already cleaned/replaced the points and gapped them?

• gunstuff1000 said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:32 PM

Ditto on what Dr. Bolens said.  Check that spark plug good too.  Change it just to be sure.   Mine would not start the other day and it only had about 6 hours on the plug from last year.  Put in a NGK and fired and ran the second pull.  Would have started the first pull but had it on full choke and didn't get it opened up in time.  Champion plugs are not one of my favorite brands.  NGK or Autolight are much better.  Good luck with your Ram