• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• Member No: 3996
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:29 AM

I have a swisher finish mower that is running really rough, pops a lot out of the muffler while running. Kind of like a mini backfire. It doesn't seem to rev like it should. It's been doing this for a while but after setting for a full year it's much much worse. It's not running strong enough to engage the blades without dieing before it even turns them.
 I've replaced the fuel filter, air filter  and cleaned the carb. It may be that my carb cleaning isn't up to par. I wanted to buy some Chemdip but  the best I can tell, they can no longer sell this stuff in the U.S.  Hmm something that works so the EPA takes it off of the market?? So anyway I just used some spray carb cleaner, and sprayed it on all surfaces and through every orifice I could see. I haven't pulled the plug to see how lean it's running but something tells me it's really lean.
 The engine is a 14.5 hp Briggs and Stratton model 31A507 0114 B1

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 02:49 PM

Where are you located? Chemdip is still available around here. Even Wal Mart has it. You're right though that it isn't as good as the original stuff was.

As weird as this seems there used to be a thread on here about boiling them out in lemon juice, done it before myself. It smells bad, when I do one I do it outside on a Coleman stove, I have a coffee can that I use just for that.

You can vary the % of juice to water from full strength to 50/50ish, wouldn't go much weaker than that.

Another thing I have been wanting to try would be one of those ultrasonic cleaner machines.
  • CaptianRon said thank you

#3 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• Member No: 3996
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 03:13 PM

Where are you located? Chemdip is still available around here. Even Wal Mart has it. You're right though that it isn't as good as the original stuff was.

As weird as this seems there used to be a thread on here about boiling them out in lemon juice, done it before myself. It smells bad, when I do one I do it outside on a Coleman stove, I have a coffee can that I use just for that.

You can vary the % of juice to water from full strength to 50/50ish, wouldn't go much weaker than that.

Another thing I have been wanting to try would be one of those ultrasonic cleaner machines.

I'm in north central Texas. I looked on Walmart, autozone and O'Reilly's site. They list it but then says "out of stock" then there is a disclaimer stating it can't be sold in the U.S. or something.
Ok this is really weird! I just looked last night and saw the discliamer. Today on Wally world it shows to be fully available.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 03:24 PM

If it runs at all, try Chemtool 12 or Sea Foam in the gas and let run awhile, might clean up some sticky or dirt in carb.  Did you try new fuel lines?  Alch in gas now days can knock down runner in older runner lines. They have new pvc or similar lines to resist decay, but is smaller diameter and diff clamp sizes. Is the tank clean?  Might also try Premium gas, may not have Alch. in it and be better. If it is popping, maybe a valve issue or carbon build-up?  Marvel Mystery oil, some in gas and in the oil also might help clean and break-down? 

Forgot, also on Briggs carbs are rubber membranes and springs on side of carb to pump gas and such. They ALSO get damaged by Alch and get soft. Lots of places have a little kit with that and maybe a spring and or other little pieces. My ACE hardware carrys or any engine shop. The plate is on side of carb with four little screws usually, OR on smaller ones have to take gas tank off and replace it on it's top, but being big as you stated, don't think that would be right one.

Edited by glgrumpy, June 08, 2016 - 03:28 PM.