• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • Member No: 82189
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:09 AM

Greetings- Upon seeing a Craigslist ad for two Bush Hogs with two not so good pictures, I decided to drive down to Westport, Massachusetts to take a look for myself. Unfortunately, these two Hogs have been sitting in the owners' side yard for several years totally uncovered and exposed to the elements. I'm going to post a few pics of each, and if anyone wants them or has an idea for them, I'd be glad to make it happen  (within reason of course).The owner wants $500.00 for the pair. I checked both motors and neither one is seized up! The  dark red D-4-10 has the Wisconsin motor and the other one has a Tecumseh HH-100 motor. I have several more pictures of each tractor, so if you want to see them all, PM me and I'll email them to you. Without further delay....... On second thought, I'll put the second tractor pics in another post to follow....

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0285.JPG
  • DSC_0286.JPG
  • DSC_0291.JPG
  • DSC_0292.JPG
  • DSC_0294.JPG
  • DSC_0296.JPG
  • DSC_0297.JPG
  • DSC_0298.JPG
  • DSC_0300.JPG

• Titus, sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I was told that this was also a D-4-10, but you be the judge...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0304.JPG
  • DSC_0305.JPG
  • DSC_0306.JPG
  • DSC_0308.JPG
  • DSC_0310.JPG
  • DSC_0311.JPG
  • DSC_0312.JPG
  • DSC_0316.JPG
  • DSC_0317.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:09 AM

I was told that this was also a D-4-10, but you be the judge...

Yeah, that is a late model D4-10. No where near worth the $250 each in that condition.

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:22 AM

Make sure we can get the numbers for Scott

• Titus said thank you

#5 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:31 AM

Make sure we can get the numbers for Scott

Way ahead of you, I saw these the day they were posted. The photos on the CL ad were obviously old, as these photos look far worse than what they looked like in the pics.

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 03:42 PM

wouldnt mind having that d4-10 just for parts, got a good clutch and lift mechanism.   MMMMMM  got me thinking now.

Pete

#7 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 03:56 PM

too bad they have both been sitting out for what looks like quite a while.  both look pretty complete minus the usually missing grille and emblem.  the second is a very late d4-10 as suspected.  I would almost guarantee that the solid state ignition is bad in that hh100 engine with the shroud being off, etc.  probably lost spark and got parked.  would be a little costly to repair ($100-150ish).  if the rear ends are good they would make good parts machines.  I see that the hi/lo shifter in the late machine is missing.  it doesn't have rear pto so there is no pto shift lever.  rear pto was optional in the last year of production.  would be worth 100-150 each to me for parts machines if they were in my neighborhood. 

#8 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:00 PM

side note: my v4-10 was also sold by goldsteins sales in mass.  they are still in business but no longer a bush hog dealer.

• Titus said thank you

#9 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:16 PM

I completely agree in regards to the price (too much!!), the owner said he was just trying to recoup his "initial investment"..But I didn't want to bust his balls too badly in  pointing out that the two tractors are now "rust buckets":,  in the event someone needed some parts.You should see this guys' (families') property, it is absolutely littered with several generations of Tractors strewn over the fields , kind of like an old implement graveyard of sorts.. I think that I took one picture as I was leaving, hopefully you can enlarge this  photo to see all of the hidden stuff in the backround. My very first Bush Hog, obtained only a few months before this, was purchased by me in the very same neighborhood , and came from the same Bush Hog 

dealer (Goldsteins). As stated earlier, if anyone has interest in these tractors, I'll do my best to make it happen. The only thing that interests  me is the 10 HP Wisconsin motor and tranny

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0321.JPG

• olcowhand said thank you

#10 Vsfiredawg OFFLINE  

Vsfiredawg
  • Member No: 82979
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:28 PM

Do you think he would part them out?

#11 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 11:20 PM

If they were to go for parts I would love to have the serial number plate off the late one because mine is missing its plate and there aren't a lot of the late d4-10s with the hh100 out there.

#12 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:25 AM

side note: my v4-10 was also sold by goldsteins sales in mass.  they are still in business but no longer a bush hog dealer.

Correct, 90% of mine was from Goldsteins as well. Most in this area were sold by them. Since their fire in the mid 2000s, most paperwork was lost from original sales I was told when I moved up here. My fathers was also sold by them. 

Are the rear ends even good in these? Everyone I've bought that is in the condition shown has come with lovely water in the rear end. In their current condition, I'd offer $100 a piece, and that's pushing it IMO.

#13 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Vsfiredawg- My guess is that he wouldn't part them out himself as he admitted that he was not a "handy" person. However, if enough people wanted enough parts to make it worth his while, I think that he could be persuaded to let someone (possibly me) to do some dismantling and shipping if necessary.If enough interest develops for specific parts, I'd certainly ask him to consider this. I think that he is of the mindset that he should be able to get back what he paid for the pair originally , somehow thinking that they have gone up in value. The part that he's not understanding (or doesn't want to understand) is that the amount of deterioration that has taken place over the years negates any possible increase in value.Anything changes, I'll be sure to let the forum know immediately.

• Vsfiredawg said thank you

#14 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:52 AM

If he does, all I'd want is that shifting handle as it's exactly the one my father had on his and I haven't seen one since.

#15 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I can think of several things I would want and be willing to pay a very fair price for.