• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:43 PM

I've got a Gateway laptop running windows 8.1. I set some stuff on the keyboard and now the mousepad don't work. I've search and can't seem to find anything. The wireless mouse still works but sometimes the one on the laptop comes in handy. I know there was an icon or something on the old laptop that used to turn it on and off but I can't seem to find it. Any idea??

• tracidf18 and patlv3 have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:02 PM

On my Dell running win 7 I can go to the control panel, and access the touchpad settings in the mouse menu
  • DougT said thank you

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Reboot and see if that fixes it.

One of the Fn keys should enable/disable varies by make.

Go to start menu and mouse settings and see that nothing is disabled there.

A bad/corrupt driver could also cause this problem.

• DougT, Cvans, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#4 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 06:10 AM

Some laptops will have a little indent or other unusual looking area on the mouse pad that you can double tap to toggle it on and off. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:52 AM

From your description in your post I think Ducky & Kellerman88 are your best possibilities but according to the Gateway site https://panam.gatewa...Z06E4faq5.shtml  there is no key combo's to turn it on and off.  This may be a dumb question but it seems to me I had a laptop at one time that when you plugged in a mouse the touchpad quite working.  Is this a possibility with yours?

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 12:07 PM

Thanks guys, I'll have to get some more time to fight with this. I know it's been rebooted a few times since it happened but I don't remember if I rebooted it with the wireless unplugged. I know they have always worked together with no problem. I can see the touch pad mouse from the control panel and it shows OK. The computer started doing some crazy scrolling and it took a while to realize the stack of paper was putting pressure. The FN key is close in the vicinity. I was pushing buttons to keep it from acting crazy but it didn't stop until I took the papers off. I do have a restore disc. Maybe I can get it to fix it without losing everything.

#7 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Where you able to fix this or still need assistance?

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Device manager if you can get in there.  I'm a mouse user and hate the pad..  I always have the dang pointer roam all over the place on my desktop when I move my hands to type.  Set yours to only enable or turn on when the external mouse is disconnected.  You will have to go into the device driver software for the mousepad on your machine to find and set it up..  Good Luck!!!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, June 28, 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Where you able to fix this or still need assistance?

I haven't got it working yet but then I haven't had a lot time and energy to put into it. From the control panel it does show enabled. There is a strip on the right side of the pad but don't feel anything there that makes a difference. I've tried to reboot with the wireless mouse out and didn't help. That's about all the time I've had to try it.

#10 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 12:14 PM

I haven't got it working yet but then I haven't had a lot time and energy to put into it. From the control panel it does show enabled. There is a strip on the right side of the pad but don't feel anything there that makes a difference. I've tried to reboot with the wireless mouse out and didn't help. That's about all the time I've had to try it.

Would you be able to give us the model of your Gateway?

Few things to try. Sorry if you already did try them:

Turnoff Touchpad when a USB Mouse is plugged in --> Go To Control Panel and Click on the Mouse Properties Icon. Should be a setting in there called "Disable Touchpad when USB Pointing Device is present" (Make sure that's turned off if you don't desire this setting)

Worst case:
You can check your BIOS Settings (F2 when booting up) to make sure the touchpad was not disabled somehow in there.
Also, it could be a driver issue. Outdated, or recently updated driver that failed.
Lastly, it could be a hardware issue. The touchpad no longer functioning properly.

When you find time, let us know. I will be glad to walk you through troubleshooting this.
  • DougT said thank you