• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MDCMO140 OFFLINE  

MDCMO140
  • Member No: 9149
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 07:30 PM

Just found these and removed them from the world of scraping! Not sure what I'm am going to do with them yet, but would like to gain more information on them first. Thought I'd start here!

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

• Gtractor, Traill95 and Oldford have said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:19 PM

Nice score! And welcome to GTTALK.

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:33 PM

Nice save, nice lookin trailer.  looks like you have some work ahead...

#4 MDCMO140 OFFLINE  

MDCMO140
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome and comments! Been busy since I picked them up just trying to learn more about them. I'm mainly a green guy. I'm not a part out type guy or trying to make a quick buck! If they are unique, I will probably keep them and fix them up. If not, I will find someone who will appreciate them. My trailer is custom made. I built it about 3 years ago with GT's in mind. It tilts, has short ramps and tie-downs so I can haul GT's around. It also has a winch system so I can recover anything. The side boards come off and store in the front and I can side load it with ramps also.

• Oldford said thank you

#5 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome and comments! Been busy since I picked them up just trying to learn more about them. I'm mainly a green guy. I'm not a part out type guy or trying to make a quick buck! If they are unique, I will probably keep them and fix them up. If not, I will find someone who will appreciate them. My trailer is custom made. I built it about 3 years ago with GT's in mind. It tilts, has short ramps and tie-downs so I can haul GT's around. It also has a winch system so I can recover anything. The side boards come off and store in the front and I can side load it with ramps also.

Welcome to the GT forums. The tractor you posted is one of the prizes in my collection. 1968 Sears Hydro. Yours are in pretty rough shape but if restored a very nice tractor. The hydros are getting hard to find parts for and also hard to come by. On a unique scale Sears suburbans are not unique however there are not as many hydro so these two have more rarity then the manuals.Most Sears collectors like the Onan powered twins and not many say nice things about the Tecumseh, but I like the smaller 12 singles myself.

You have some nice attachments, the sickle mower is one of them that stick out thats a hard to find attachment for a sears collector.  I was lucky to get one not sure all ever use it but its wicked cool to have if your into collecting attachmenst for sears. 

I hope you do stick around and give those old irons some love. If so I'll be happy to hang around to help I mean it when I say I am a huge fan of the 68'S I got 2 of them a Hydro and a manual. got a 1/2 of another hydro (inscase I need parts) and hoping to but another one soon. 

• MH81 said thank you

#6 MDCMO140 OFFLINE  

MDCMO140
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 10:19 PM

John, nice to meet you.

One of the things that attracted my attention to these old girls is the fact they are hydrostatic. I mainly focus on hydro's and mainly green one's between 68 and early 80's. I have a couple of vari-drives I would like to have but that's another story. Sauer-Sundstrand-Danfoss (as it evolved) type pumps are something I mess with and are usually the hydro drive system found on anything made in this era. You usually have it driving what ever this or that particular manufacture wanted the differential to be. When I mentioned unique, I meant these being the first of Sears hydro garden tractors! My 68 JD140 is the first year for them.

The tecumsehs don't degrade the interest for me! Messing with old single cylinder Kohlers in the JDs is part of what sets them apart and makes them unique! Both engines on these rotate freely and both have the starter/gen's intact

The big plus for the attachments is that all the sears original plates still exist and are in the right place. That's usually the issue with something old you find! AND the sickle bar mowers are always a WOW factor on any of the old GT'''s!!!!!!

#7 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 06:27 AM

Please do show us some of your other tractors. I myself am getting rid one more of my other tractors and getting another suburban. I am hoping to have all Suburbans when I am done. I say one more but I have two that are not sears so maybe two more will be going. I restore and reuse these older tractors.So I don't do show room work on them  but everything gets its rust removal and lots of greasy love. 

I just restore a mower deck and have some photos of the restore in there....good thing I only have one of those to do. Next I am either working on the snow blower or the tiller. Most likely the snow blower though I will be needing it this winter. 

Do you use your tractors? 

As far as sears plates go , I can read everyone except the one I have on my odd ball hydro that I stripped for parts. I had found out that I most likely  stripped down the rarest tractor I have. I have seen other 68 hydros but so far none like the one I got stripped. This one appears to be a 67.

It looks exactly like this one with hydro trac 

sears-suburban-garden-tractor.jpg  

Funny thing is this past winter I went outside grabbed a hood took it in the shop and refinished it, when I went to put it on the 68 it was to short and to narrow. Then I got upset and sold it...now I am thinking maybe I should put that tractor back together. 

But just the other day I came across an ad for a suburban so sent him a message...looks like I got another deal in the works.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:34 AM

Nice save! :welcometogttalk: