• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 03:03 PM

I'm going to have a set of the 8 ply Galaxy tires mounted and see how they perform compared to the 4 ply Goodyears and see what happens.

• olcowhand said thank you

#17 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 06:26 PM

I have 6 ply Deestone's on my 316 and 8 ply Deestone's on my 420. Yes they are stiff, but I didn't have too many issues with putting them on. Traction wise, they will dig holes if I'm not careful.
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#18 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 10:53 PM

I have 6 ply Deestone's on my 316 and 8 ply Deestone's on my 420. Yes they are stiff, but I didn't have too many issues with putting them on. Traction wise, they will dig holes if I'm not careful.

Thanks for your input.  I think with the big heavy transmission, differential, engine, and all those weights that are over the rear wheels, the Bolens Grounds Keeper should be alright with 8 ply tires.  I'll have them mounted sometime this week and see how they perform.  If they don't work, I'll try the Goodyear Terra Tires out.

#19 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 12:54 AM

I had my local Wal-Mart tire center put the 8 ply tires on (as much as I dislike Wal-Mart, it was only $5 to mount each tire).  I put them on the big Bolens Grounds Keeper and drove it today and they actually have a good amount of flex under the massive weight of that tractor.  I have them at about 14psi each (I think I'm going to try them around 8-10psi next).  The traction was really, really impressive.  They really dig and grab.  I'll be doing some bulldozing work with it, and in low range, that big might Wisconsin twin THD engine, all the added weight options, and with these tires, I think I'll really be able to move some dirt with it.  For a machine that is big like this and weighs over 2,000lbs I think 8 ply tires are just fine. 

Oh and by the way, I got a brand new pair of Carlisle 26x12-12 4 ply Tru Powers for my Snapper/MF1855 and I'm going to sell the Goodyears (since I have many pairs).

Edited by jpswift1, July 11, 2016 - 12:55 AM.

• KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks