• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 05:51 PM

I have 2 pairs of brand new Galaxy 8 ply 26x12-12 ag tires that I picked up at a really low price that I planned on using for my Bolens Grounds Keeper with a front dozer blade on it.  I also have 2 nice, used pairs of Goodyear Super Terra Grip ag tires, 4 ply 26x12-12.  I plan on using a pair of the Goodyears for my Massey/Snapper 1855.

I read on some forums that 8 ply 26x12-12 ag tires on conventional garden tractors don't give very good traction at all (and a very rough ride), probably because there's no sidewall flex and the tractors don't weigh all that much.  My question is, since the Bolens Grounds Keeper that I have weighs in close to 2500 lbs, will these 8 ply tires have any issues with traction and not flexing enough because the tractor doesn't weigh enough to wear 8 ply tires?  Or should I just put the Goodyear Super Terra Grip tires on the Bolens and get another set of tires for the Massey/Snapper 1855? 

Thanks in advance for the advice.

http://www.galaxypri...ENCHER-I-3.html

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 06:18 PM

IMO, the 8 ply is over kill. I put new 4 ply on Alice and have them full of fluid. Add in 60 lbs of wheel weights. At 4 PSI, the side walls are still standing tall!

• old coot, propane1 and jpswift1 have said thanks

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 06:47 PM

For a 'regular' sized GT 8-plys might be a bit of overkill, but for the GK, I'd say they would be better than 4-plys.

• jpswift1 said thank you

#4 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 07:51 PM

This is an example of the Bolens Grounds Keeper.  It's a HUGE tractor and it's VERY heavy.  I was leaning towards the 8 ply tires, but I wasn't really sure and didn't want to run into any issues with traction because there isn't enough weight on the tires.  I'll also say that part reason for the tractor weighing over one ton is the fact that it has the optional rear weight kit consisting of 150 lbs of chassis (tombstone) weights and about 105 lbs of wheel weights. 

post-8-132893734861.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 07:56 PM

I put 8 ply tires on one of my John Deere F935's and traction isn't quite as good as with 4 plies, but I mow on side slopes and I needed strong sidewalls.  I will say they ride rough as can be!  I think I could let all the air out & never notice a change.  They are stiff!

• KennyP and jpswift1 have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:25 PM

If your worried about getting a puncture , then the 8 ply would be better. What is the carrying load on the 4 ply with the maximum air pressure ? Will they carry the tractor? They may have to have more air than the 8 ply. So maybe no gain. Just some thoughts, I'm not a tire expert.

Noel

#7 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 11:55 PM

The 8 ply Galaxy tires I have seem to have VERY stiff sidewalls.  The weight capacity of each 8 ply Galaxy tire is 3020 lbs.  I don't know what the Goodyear 4 ply Super Terra Grips are but I'm going to guess between 1500-2000 lbs.  The Goodyear Super Terra Grips were one of the original tires offered by Bolens from the factory.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:52 AM

I can check the Terra tires later today. I have 2 sets on the FF's. I'll see what the BKT's are on Alice also. One set of Terra's are loaded also with 6 lbs of air and do not show the weight.

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 05:14 AM

Is the GK 4 wheel drive?

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 06:58 AM

I just went out and looked at my tires. The loaded tires are 4 ply Super Terra 26 X12.00-12's and no load rating on the tire. The other set are 2 ply Terra's. I looked at the BKT's on Alice and they are 4-ply, but no load rating either. I know the 4-ply Terra's were a real pain to get on the wheels, but they weren't new. BKT's were not that hard to put on the rims. I can just imagine how hard those 8-plies would be to install.

• propane1 and jpswift1 have said thanks

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 07:36 AM

I actually bent the edge of my rims getting the 8 ply tires on. Adjusted with a large hammer afterwards. Glad I got them though, as they will last a long time and handle the stresses I put on them.
  • Alc and jpswift1 have said thanks

#12 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 11:47 AM

Is the GK 4 wheel drive?

I wish it was.  Unfortunately it's just rear wheel drive.  I don't think it would have been very difficult for Bolens to have made it 4 wheel drive.  all they would have had to do was put a differential up front and then put a PTO shaft coming off of it to run the attachments.

I actually bent the edge of my rims getting the 8 ply tires on. Adjusted with a large hammer afterwards. Glad I got them though, as they will last a long time and handle the stresses I put on them.

That's another thing that worries me.  The Bolens wheels I have are nice and straight and clean and there are no dents at all on them at all so I really don't want to mess them up.  Maybe I should just sell those 8 ply Galaxy tires and stick with the 4 ply Goodyear Super Terra Grips for the Bolens and get some Carlisle Tru Powers for the Massey/Snapper 1855.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 12:00 PM

If your 8 plies have a normal width bead, you'd likely have no issues mounting them. My beads were maybe 1 1/4" wide, making them terribly hard to get over the rim.

#14 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 01:05 PM

If your 8 plies have a normal width bead, you'd likely have no issues mounting them. My beads were maybe 1 1/4" wide, making them terribly hard to get over the rim.

These beads are about 5/8" wide on the Galaxy 8 ply tires so they might not be too bad.  What brand tires were your 8 plys?

Thank you so much for the advice, this is the reason why I love this site so much.

Edited by jpswift1, June 08, 2016 - 01:19 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 02:32 PM

These beads are about 5/8" wide on the Galaxy 8 ply tires so they might not be too bad. What brand tires were your 8 plys?

Thank you so much for the advice, this is the reason why I love this site so much.

Mine are Titan tires. At least I think so. I'll look to be sure if I remember when I get home. Yours should go on fine.