Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 05:31 AM

You metioned the speed of you tractor , mine seemed like you had to have the speed control lever pushed further then years ago . I pulled the seat pan off and there was a roll pin for the shift linkage worn , after changing that it seems much better . Also changed the trans filter at that time , because easy to do with the seat pan off, Al

#17 RailmanB110 OFFLINE  

RailmanB110

• Member No: 1725
  • 21 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 08:40 AM

I just recently had to get to the hydro speed linkage on my 318 last week to eliminate the dreaded hydro creep. I just dropped the screen pan. I don't know which is easier, but it would probably be easier to do from above. I lifted the front, & put the wheels on concrete blocks for access.
It took a few tries to get rid of the creep. The adjuster is very sensitive & mine only needed about 1/4 turn to get right. I over adjusted twice before I got it dead on! The roll pin ALC mentioned is a common problem on the early models. The later models used a different shaft clamp type arm which I would assume eliminated the roll pin wear problem. Mine has the roll pin, & appears to have been changed out in the past.
Joe
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#18 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 12:05 PM

The manual says Type F auto transmission fluid if the JD fluid is not available, the local parts store has it for $5? Any thoughts?

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 01:38 PM

Dextron III replaces Type F tranny fluid now. they are basically the same fluid.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 01:45 PM

The manual says Type F auto transmission fluid if the JD fluid is not available, the local parts store has it for $5? Any thoughts?

Yep, that'll work, but you can also use Dexron III. You can read it here. On the right under "Dexron III Applications, it specified Eaton & Sundstrand Hydro's
http://finalube.com/...es/Ford_ATF.pdf

#21 jamesbodeis OFFLINE  

jamesbodeis

• Member No: 4836
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 09:45 AM

I just recently had to get to the hydro speed linkage on my 318 last week to eliminate the dreaded hydro creep. I just dropped the screen pan. I don't know which is easier, but it would probably be easier to do from above. I lifted the front, & put the wheels on concrete blocks for access.
It took a few tries to get rid of the creep. The adjuster is very sensitive & mine only needed about 1/4 turn to get right. I over adjusted twice before I got it dead on! The roll pin ALC mentioned is a common problem on the early models. The later models used a different shaft clamp type arm which I would assume eliminated the roll pin wear problem. Mine has the roll pin, & appears to have been changed out in the past.
Joe

what exactly did you do? i have the same problem on my 318. do you know where i could find a manual or some diagrams? i think i could do it i just dont wanna go in blind.

#22 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 10:43 AM

They have the technical manual for a 318 on this site. Go to this page John Deere 316, 318 and 420 Technical Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
or click on manuals above then tractors then John Deere, the 318 manual is at the bottom of the page. Hope I helped Gimmo

#23 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 11:02 AM

There is a turnbuckle right next to the driveshaft. With the tractor running in neutral, loosen the nuts and turn the body of the turnbuckle whichever way stops the tire rotation, then tighten the nuts back up. Be careful, there is not much clearance between it and the rotating driveshaft.

#24 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 11:06 AM

DSCN4154.jpg I use hydraulic fluid from Advance Auto Parts stores, comes in a 5 gallon bucket. here is a pic (couldn't get it to rotate)! It says it meets John Deere J20C specs, I think that is what Deere's hydro fluid is, anyway it seems to work well in mine and you will have enough to do a few changes.

#25 Papa9 OFFLINE  

Papa9
  • Member No: 78753
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Thanks oldcowhand for your valuable information. I just got a JD 318 from a neighbor without any book and don't know anything about it. the fluid leak out when I trailered it home and now I know what to do.

#26 JD318420 OFFLINE  

JD318420
  • Member No: 79598
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:36 PM

You will need to remove the belly screen, to take the transmission filter off. You will need to pull off the seat pan (remember to disconnect the seat safety switch and rear lights, remove gas tank cap, to make filling the easy way, other wise it will be painfully slow using the fill tube in the pedestal!! JSFE

#27 chaz258 OFFLINE  

chaz258
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 83512
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hey cowhand...im new here ...I just inherited a JD 318 form my dad after he passed away ....I have a leak from the cylinder by the front left tire ..the fluid is red which I assume is the hydrostatic fluid or transmission fluid ..would that be correct?

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hey cowhand...im new here ...I just inherited a JD 318 form my dad after he passed away ....I have a leak from the cylinder by the front left tire ..the fluid is red which I assume is the hydrostatic fluid or transmission fluid ..would that be correct?

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I"ll answer that. Red is transmission fluid most likely!