2 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,519 Thanks
  • 6,381 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 04:30 PM

My Bolens with 16hp Onan is running, sort of. Went and got plastic Purge pump to mount on it. Right away it was pumping gas and the engine took off after a few start tries. Took a bit of choke staying on to run it, then it caught and stayed running. Was not right, but running. Seems like a carb setting would have fixed, yet no go. Later gas is leaking out top and spraying around in bore, out the vents, etc, so thinking float setting not right or similar. I tried turning the points adjust to see if better any way and clean up, but not much change there. THEN, noticed the breather on the pump was kinda leaking oil, just like when other pump was on it. The oil is kinda Milky, so maybe should change that again. Probly with all the washings I gave it and the water in it when brought home, it is now getting circulated I'm thinking. Hope that easy.
The Purge line to the pump runs off the crankcase, just behind the flywheel area, kinda low really. The pump isn't much higher on outside, maybe even same level, and hose dips down from that to the pump. Any chance it is too low? The tractor didn't smoke too bad, a little, then cleared as it ran. I had it running pretty fast for awhile, then when I went to slow it down, it stopped and barely fires for restart. Think it is all flooded for now, so quit. Here's pix of the pump, just kinda hanging there, not mounted, and a shot of the line off the case going up and out the top. Orig had tube out the shrould about there, but that puts my new pump way low to get the line on it. Orig was off the backside, thru the tin. Is there another place up on top that I could pull the vac needed? There is the breather tube to the air cleaner out of one cover. Are those covers enough to get vac from? It is kind of hard to do much with them, now that intake is back on tho. OR....is there some other issue that makes this thing want to pump out of the engine??

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160607_163055.jpg
  • 20160607_163046.jpg
  • 20160607_163039.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 07, 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,147 Thanks
  • 4,562 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 05:39 PM

Could be a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump passing oil/gas through it..  Try another pump and change the gas contaminated oil..

Also the pulse tapis in a low spot on the block and most pulse pump taps are usually attached to a higher area like a valve cover @ the top of the engine..  Just sayin..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, June 07, 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,533 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Looks like the pulse line is going to the right place.  The OEM pump is rectangle and mounted on the tin shroud.  When they give me problems I go electric and never look back.  Easier starting too because the electric pump supplies fuel as soon as the key is turned on.

• old coot said thank you