• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 01:10 PM

so, i saw a wood chipper for sale on the local kijiji page. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to try composting the garden waste (corn stalks, squash/tomato/cucumber/pumpkin vines, brussel sprout stalks, kale stalks...) sunflower stalks from my step moms home grown bird seed venture, grass clippings, small trees (branches etc, have acres of 10 foot tall poplar saplings that i can log out on gt) and assorted animal manure (chicken, cow, sheep. farm never had just a single kind of animal).

to mix it i am planning on grinding one material at a time, then using the moto mower to pile it in a bunk made from straw bales (very much like a silage bunk on a dairy farm...) but on gt scale. this is for easier handling. 

i am planning on aerating it with a rototiller for further mixing. this should create a hot compost pile, that in a few weeks time i will be able to sell by the truckload (half ton truck) 

anyone think my composting plan would work? 

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 02:38 PM

I have 

• Alc, boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 03:49 PM

I think it will work.  I've been doing the same thing on a much smaller scale.  I don't have access to as much material as you do to put through my chipper.  Good luck and let us know how it works.

• boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Don't know, but won't manures after awhile eat away the machine, much like they do loader buckets??  You can really tell when a skid-loader or other device was used for manure, it is full of holes and rust.  Not sure if rinsing it out with water would be good or just easier for acids to get into cracks in machine?? Any dry stuff should be fine, not sure of $$ value, heh!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 05:06 PM

Any time I run green or wet stuff thru my chipper when finished I stick the garden hose running full stream in the shredder intake w/ the chipper running to wash it out good.

Mike

• Alc, dthomp17 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 06:09 PM

I would skip adding the wood chips to your compost, they will take a lot longer to decompose than the rest of what you intend to use. You could chip the poplars though and sell it as mulch. Breaking down the plant stalks, like corn, sunflower, tomato, etc, will definitely help them decompose faster. You won't likely have these stalks though till fall when the crops are done, but  if they are run through the chipper, mixed with manure and left out in the weather, you should have good compost to sell in the spring. Spring is when most people will be looking to buy it anyway. If you pile it in layers of 3 or 4 inches of plant material, then 3 or 4 inches of manure and repeat, finishing with manure on top, you probably wont need to turn it.

Jim

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 06:24 PM

It depends how much and how big the chipper is. Most of the used ones that are for sale, around here, are shot and dangerous. I don't think that you will make much money for each hour of your labor. A big compost pile for yourself is a great idea. When you turn anything into a business, there are too many problems that come up. Be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

• dthomp17 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Step mom vetoed getting the chipper.

Any ideas on how to go about grinding up the stalks and vines, along with the poplar trees?

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:01 PM

A 5 hp chipper should do it but slowly. Worms will break it up in three years if you pile it and throw in manure. Good Luck, Rick

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:08 PM

I have one of those MTD 5 hp chippers but for cutting up the pruned grape vines tomato and other vine type material I use a old push lawn mower that is only duty is chipping work . You don't get much for a lot of work but for me it gets rid of he waste and I get compost later on

#11 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:11 PM

I have 2 WW-Grinders, one is a model 66G.

It is a 5hp B&S motor on it.  It has a screen with 3/4" holes in it  for chipping and 6 1/2' bars with pipe over them.

I do not with the screen on it.  If I was the shredder with it the screen will pug up,  so when shredding I use 3 bars and pipes, so the material goes thru better.  I use it the shredder corn stalks, all vines, sun flower stalks, etc., all other stuff goes into the hopper.

when I shredder wet stuff I have no bars in it.

the other is a Renegade 250-8 model with a 8 hp B&S on it.  It is a chipper/ shredder.  It with chip up to a 3" branch.  I only use it as a chipper.

I get a truck load from the city when they chip up trees, then I run it all thru the Renegade 250-8.  It has a screen with 3/4" holes.  Make great mulch for flower beds and walk ways.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 10:29 PM

I have the 5 HP MTD chipper/shredder mounted on the back of a rider. If I'm shredding dry stuff I run it w/ the bars in, green, wet stuff w/o the bars. With it sitting high I set up a piece of OSB w/ a notch cut out to fit the discharge chute so I can blow directly into the wheelbarrow. I have a two yr old pile of chips from the tree pruners I'm still working on to make mulch for the flowerbeds and garden.

The chipper/ shredder is also used as a fan for leaf pickup in the fall utilising the mower deck and a small enclosed tlr pulled behind the rider.

Mike

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 karl ONLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,035 Thanks
  • 773 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 03:34 AM

Alot of effort with little return. I tried  it.

Edited by karl, June 09, 2016 - 02:21 PM.