• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChopRod OFFLINE  

ChopRod
  • Member No: 50072
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Did anyone on this site buy the Didier S-500 cutter bar mower off Ebay? It was for the Ford/Jacobsen mid 70's early 80's models. Would have loved to have had it. Sold for one bid $399. Seems it may be a model harder to come by than a Haban unit. Whoever ended up with it if on here- would love to see some pic's of it mounted etc. Thanks! Keith

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 176 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 04:11 PM

It was relisted yesterday at $499

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#3 ChopRod OFFLINE  

ChopRod
  • Member No: 50072
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:13 PM

Thanks- I see that now. Not worth it.

#4 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 176 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 06:32 AM

I thought the same- but that sure was a nice group of Jacobsen attachments!  :smilewink:

That original listing got me thinking about sickle bars. I know very little about them and have questions.  These were my thoughts- someone please tell me if I am right or wrong.

I did a youtube searches on these cutters in action. They seem to be good for cutting very tall grass/ overgrown stuff,  with a better cut than a bush hog, but not quite  as  good as a finish mower. They seemed a bit like a poor man's bushhog  that had the advantage of extending  sideways. In all the videos, the sickle mower seemed to "miss" some of the grass, and I was wondering it that was just because these were loose old pieces that needed sharpening/adjustment, or if it was just the nature of sickle mowers. 

In every video I saw, they were being used flat. I wonder if they could be pulled back and used at an angle- such as to trim the sides of trails, etc. (I am imagining a very lazy person- such as myself- pulling it to 90 degrees and trimming the hedges! :D )

I also wondered what the maximum thickness of what it would cut would be.

It almost seems like you would want to mount it on a spare tractor and use it "when needed"  They seem like a lot of trouble to switch between finish mower and sickle mower during mowing season.

Perhaps that sickle bar would be best bought by someone in Mass. who could pick it up and mount it on  a jake restoration project.

In the meantime, I'm just going to stick to my weedwacker for the yard for those hard to reach areas!

Edited by dualresponse1731, June 09, 2016 - 06:48 AM.

• ChopRod said thank you

#5 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 09:05 AM

I thought the same- but that sure was a nice group of Jacobsen attachments!  :smilewink:

That original listing got me thinking about sickle bars. I know very little about them and have questions.  These were my thoughts- someone please tell me if I am right or wrong.

I did a youtube searches on these cutters in action. They seem to be good for cutting very tall grass/ overgrown stuff,  with a better cut than a bush hog, but not quite  as  good as a finish mower. They seemed a bit like a poor man's bushhog  that had the advantage of extending  sideways. In all the videos, the sickle mower seemed to "miss" some of the grass, and I was wondering it that was just because these were loose old pieces that needed sharpening/adjustment, or if it was just the nature of sickle mowers. 

In every video I saw, they were being used flat. I wonder if they could be pulled back and used at an angle- such as to trim the sides of trails, etc. (I am imagining a very lazy person- such as myself- pulling it to 90 degrees and trimming the hedges! :D )

It almost seems like you would want to mount it on a spare tractor and use it "when needed"  They seem like a lot of trouble to switch between finish mower and sickle mower during mowing season.

Perhaps that sickle bar would be best bought by someone in Mass. who could pick it up and mount it on  a jake restoration project.

In the meantime, I'm just going to stick to my weedwacker for the yard for those hard to reach areas!

I know the didier can be used at 90 degree angle and I think down to 45 degreees below

• dualresponse1731 said thank you

#6 craigmary1 OFFLINE  

craigmary1
  • Member No: 82134
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hello, names craigout of Massachusetts. I have been collecting jacoben 72 -76 open side tractors and attachments for decades. I did buy the the sickle bar mower for $250. Bought it for a trophy pice on the barnwall. The sickle bar mower was 100 % complete and new condition, light surface rust from years of sitting. Bought all the rest of the attachment to for 900 with the sickle bar. The original tractor with attachment came out of maine, form a little old man and the orginal owner. Everything except the snowblower was Iin goog to new condition. Also, bought the 3 point hitch, what a fine, brand new for extra 320, what a steal, took 10 years to find one. I watch this sites sometimes, and if I had time would postmore often. I beencollecting new old stock parts for hears, before everyone found out this TRACTOR RULE! nothing compafes to the quality, durability, and design. Pretty much have ever picece oforiginal literature for all the standard attachments, ie 3point, mower, snowplow, dirt plows, tiller, sickle bar, electric lift, lights, snowcab, johnswork horse loader, sleeve hitch, wheel weights, etc. Have mutiples of all these attachments, and 6 tractors running and 5 for parts in the barn been buying thestuff cheap over the years until maybe the last coulple, to many people tracking the stuff, now, u have to be vigilant and creative in finding the parts nnow. Anyway, if people are interested in information, post, can say ill respond right away, but oticed this post tonight. Regards, Craig. Sorry for the typos, tablets sk.
  • Alc and dualresponse1731 have said thanks

#7 Irontooth OFFLINE  

Irontooth
  • Member No: 58921
  • 11 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 08:57 PM

I made my own hay using a sickle bar mower for about 20 years, so I have a nodding acquaintance with using them :^)

A sickle bar uses less energy for mowing than an equivalent width rotary cutter. You'll find horse-drawn sickle bar mowers still in use, powered by the wheels.

The sickle bar basically works on the same principle as the electric clippers that are used to cut hair; a 'stationary' bar with gaps (made up of the detachable guards) and the moving element that has the triangular blades attached. A well-maintained sickle bar can make a beautifully cut field. Poor maintenance (bent guards, loose blades, etc.) gives a sloppier cut. Also, trash that gets stuck between the guards will block the blade causing missed cut for that blade. If the field has been flattened by heavy rain, hail, or deer lying in it, the sickle bar can ride over the grass lying in the direction of the cut. If the grass is lying with the top toward the sickle bar, it will most likely get lifted and cut, assuming the sickle bar is properly adjusted (guards not tilted too high up in front).

My sickle bar had limited ability to mow with one end of the bar lower than the other. It was really designed to work on almost level ground. Operating on a three-point hitch, it was designed to lift the outboard end of the bar if the body of the mower attached to the hitch was raised, so it was limited with respect to mowing with the outboard end in a ditch, for example. OTOH, it could more readily mow with the outboard end higher than the inboard end.

Not sure if I am understanding the concept of 'pulling it back' - a sickle bar pretty much has to be tracked at right agle to the direction of travel, otherwise the grass won't 'flow' smoothly into the guards. Mine had a breakback protector to swing the bar back in case it hit a large rock, tree, or grass clog that wouldn't cut.

Also, a sickle bar tends to be best suited for long grass, while cutting at a decent ground speed. When mowing, there's a sort of sweet set of conditions to the grass being cut, laying down on, and being pushed/stripped off the bar. Too little speed, the grass won't fall 'back' over the bar; too fast, you can clog things up.

The diameter of what can be cut would depend on a bunch of things, but the one I used could easily cut finger or thumb diameter saplings.

This is getting really long-winded, but I can't close without a reminder that a sickle bar can be really, really dangerous. It would be all to easy to cripple or maim a person or pet with it.
  • Alc and dualresponse1731 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford lgt, jacobsen gt, cutter bar mower, haban